Overclock.net banner

[Chiphell] Thermalright Frost Spirit Air Cooler Unveiled

10825 Views 71 Replies 29 Participants Last post by  PontiacGTX
Source
Translated

Interesting heatpipe termination they have there. It reminds me of the Reeven Okeanos. If this is midrange, I wonder if there's going to be a flagship version coming soon?

Midrange Cooler
4x8mm heatpipes
140mmL x 121mmW x 158mmH
58pcs fins (very dense)
1500rpm 120mm & 140mm fans with FDB bearings
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Fix it till its broke
1,535 Posts
Asymmetrical heat pipe configuration, rubber bumper stoppers on the fans, stepped fin stack design, shouldn't they be giving some credit to Noctua?
It’s the other way around. Noctua should be giving credit to Thermalright.

· Fix it till its broke
1,535 Posts
So it's a NH-D14?

NH-D14 clone, maybe. more importantly though it's an NH-D14 clone without the Noctua tax and the **** brown hue.

Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT tends to beat or match the NH-D15 (depends what review you look at) for less money, no reason to think this won't be a similar story.
So does TS140P, and it does it for fifty bucks. I don’t think this is a D14 clone, maybe an evolution of the IFX. Remember, Thermalright was here first, by years.. if anything Noctua cloned some of their ideas.. not that I’m saying they did.. but I remember the first time I saw a Noctua product and thought they copied Thermalrights style. Just saying..

• Rep+
Reactions: ozlay

· Fix it till its broke
1,535 Posts
i love that mounting system:
looks ~same as my old D14 which was so easy to take the heatsink off every few months to clean it - my 110 y/o house is really bad w/dust. /forum/images/smilies/redface.gif
It does have that Noctua look to it.

Dammit! 😄

· Fix it till its broke
1,535 Posts
I don’t think TR was using 8mm pipes way back then. But there has to be more to it than just the size of your pipe. TS140P is one of the best coolers I have used, if not the best. And so is LGMRT. Both are very different, and one has 7x 6mm pipes but a crapload of surface area. In my Meshify C I get better results with LGMRT than TS140P because of my airflow configuration. I have two exhaust fans that are basically pulling on the cooler, while four intakes pounding on the face side of the cooler. In conjunction with TY-143 I have 5x 120x38, 1x TY-147A, 1x 90x38 3900 RPM screamer all on a couple of controllers except the TR fans. That all means I can run my cpu right up to one tick before ovp kicks in at 1.525v and my gpu at its limit and not worrry about heat to much. But realistically I can run linpack extreme at 4700mhz1.4v on my 3770K.. I hear that’s water cooling voltage. TS140P can handle 1.6v on a 4800mhz x5690 in my Define R4. No filters or mesh on either case.

That’s a lot of typing on a phone sorry for the novel.

· Fix it till its broke
1,535 Posts
Yes they were definitely innovators. I do still have an unused gpu heat sink of theirs, but I don't have the bag of bits, got lost in a move somehow. Its art. It was supposed to go on my GTX 285. I left my 580 Matrix Platinum that I used since new up until last winter when I bought my 980 Classified. I left a triple slot card for a dual slot card. Much nicer. In these days of triple slot beasts, I'm sure they could rig something nice up that would blow away what everyone one is using. But to be fair, the cooler on my Classified is a beast. Makes my 970 ftw acx 2.0 look like a toy.. but it could still be improved upon. I'm no engineer but.. :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.