Overclock.net banner

[Chiphell] Thermalright Frost Spirit Air Cooler Unveiled

10824 Views 71 Replies 29 Participants Last post by  PontiacGTX
Source
Translated

Interesting heatpipe termination they have there. It reminds me of the Reeven Okeanos. If this is midrange, I wonder if there's going to be a flagship version coming soon?

Midrange Cooler
4x8mm heatpipes
140mmL x 121mmW x 158mmH
58pcs fins (very dense)
1500rpm 120mm & 140mm fans with FDB bearings
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Premium Member
4,974 Posts
So it's a NH-D14?

NH-D14 clone, maybe. more importantly though it's an NH-D14 clone without the Noctua tax and the **** brown hue.

Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT tends to beat or match the NH-D15 (depends what review you look at) for less money, no reason to think this won't be a similar story.

Thermalright had a two-tower cooler named "IFX-14" over ten years ago, that's older than the NH-D14. That old cooler also had four extra thick 8mm heat-pipes, just like this new one here.

· Premium Member
4,974 Posts
Thermalright was always been good about offering their coolers without fans, it's one of the things that I have always appreciated about them.

I'm not really sure if that holds true today, it's been a while since I have purchased an air cooler.

They stopped with that a really long time ago, perhaps ten years ago. Practically all of their coolers were then sold with fans.

From the last few years, I just remember the "HR-22" without fan. That one instead came with a shroud/funnel thingy to connect it to a rear case fan.

· Premium Member
4,974 Posts
Hard to call that even a segment of the market at this point, there are a whopping 2 high end aftermarket GPU coolers left, and both are pretty old designs at this point. Nobody has bothered to release something new in over half a decade.

I don't see this as being a very appealing "segment" for manufacturers to get (back) in to.

Yeah, it seems that market kind of died but I'd still want it to happen. They also had neat little (and not-so-little) gadgets that you could mount to the VRM, with heatpipes and serious heatsink. Alternatives for those don't exist at all anymore.

· Premium Member
4,974 Posts
[...] it would be an impressive cooler if it can [...] perform 95% like a high end cpu cooler

I'm a bit hyped for this cooler here because Thermalright chose to use their very old mounting system where you can customize the mounting pressure (it's that large knob you can see in the middle). That might help this cooler here beat the competition, like perhaps for people that got a bit unlucky with IHS shape of their CPU.

I'm currently battling a bit with an NH-D14 and a 2700X and I suspect more mounting pressure could change my results. The "thin layer" paste method produces much better temperatures on this 2700X here than the dot-method, which shouldn't be the case. That's why I got thinking about mounting pressure.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.