Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a fan controller for 19 fans. 8 of These Fans on each of 2 480mm radiators and 3 of the stock phanteks fans from my phanteks primo case.

Preferably id like to put 8 fans on each controller so one control will change the fan speeds for all the fans on 1 radiator. And the 3 phanteks on its own.

These 2 controllers looked good. The NZXT has excellent reviews but only 30 watts per channel. My fans are rated at 3.6w each so thatd be mighty close at 28.8 watts for 8.

The 1st PC Corp or Lamptron or whatever it is is better at 45 watts per channel and still good reviews but ive never heard of them, not sure what to think of that one.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811992012&cm_re=fan_controller-_-11-992-012-_-Product

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811997019&cm_re=fan_controller-_-11-997-019-_-Product

So which should i go for for my purposes? Or if you have another one in mind, and why? Under $50 preferably.

Also how would i connect all those fans to 1 channel? Just a bunch of Y-Splitters or is there a better cleaner and/or cheaper way?

Thank You!

PS: And if i do get the NZXT and connect 28.8 watts to the 1 channel with 30 watts max will that be risking damaging anything?

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Really? What are your reasons?

After i posted this i found this youtube video which made me think im definitely going with the nzxt. Shows how the PWM function causes strange sounds and how some fans wont even run. But those arent issues with the nzxt which uses voltage regulation instead.

·
Call me VSG
12,852 Posts
What PWM function though? That controller and the fans you are getting are all 3 pin type which are voltage controlled. No idea what that guy in the video was doing, but he's probably right about getting a bad unit.

I've had personal experience with NZXT and Lamptron controllers before, the build quality of the Lamptrons is great relatively.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maybe i will give lamptron a go then. No strange sounds on your fans when adjusting below 100%? Tested working on multiple fans?

So as for connecting 8 fans to 1 channel, any other options besides a bunch of Y-Splitters or daisy chaining molex's?

·
Call me VSG
12,852 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluemustang View Post

Maybe i will give lamptron a go then. No strange sounds on your fans when adjusting below 100%? Tested working on multiple fans?

So as for connecting 8 fans to 1 channel, any other options besides a bunch of Y-Splitters or daisy chaining molex's?
I've since gone from a Lamptron (I had a different model than the one you linked, but still a 3 pin style as with most fan controllers) to an Aquaero 6 (more expensive, more functions also). The fans I was using then were all 3 pin type and they were absolutely fine with the controller. I had 8 per channel then also- you can get hubs like the NZXT Grid to connect multiple fans easily.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by geggeg View Post

I've since gone from a Lamptron (I had a different model than the one you linked, but still a 3 pin style as with most fan controllers) to an Aquaero 6 (more expensive, more functions also). The fans I was using then were all 3 pin type and they were absolutely fine with the controller. I had 8 per channel then also- you can get hubs like the NZXT Grid to connect multiple fans easily.
The NZXT grid is rated at max 30 watts combined. I'd come really close with 8 or slightly exceed with 10 (adding the phanteks fans to the hub for easy cable management too).

But since ill be using the fan controller itll receive power from that and the nzxt grid is nothing more than a hub.

I don't suppose youd know if you could bypass that limitation when using a powered fan controller?

PS: I was just picturing this in my mind and so a 10 port fan hub would actually only support 9 fans right? 9 fans in and 1 cable going to the fan controller channel?

Then do i have to pay special attention to what 3-pin extensions are rated to handle 30-40 watts?

Thanks btw.

·
Call me VSG
12,852 Posts
Well that's a good point. The Grid could still be a limitation, and fans at start-up can consume more power too. I am not sure if that will work or not.

It has 10 outputs and 1 input, so not 9+1 as you thought.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just an update and a follow up question.

I got the lamptron fc-2 controller and tested it and i'm a little disappointed. I tested it with 2 of the same fans, 1 directly connected to the PSU and 1 on the fan controller. When i felt the 2 fans at max speed next to each other, the one on the fan controller had a little less force/pressure on my hand. Is this normal or is this unit not functioning properly?

And PS: Newegg packaging BLOWS. Always irritated me how stupid they package stuff. They put bubbles on the top but nothing on the bottom or any sides, whats the point? Consequently the fan controller box was a little smushed on the top and one of the knobs was pressed in and doesnt turn smoothly like the others (scratches on housing). Though it technically works, so not sure if thats worthy of an RMA.

PPS: Side question, anyone know if this fan controller can control some LED strips? I'm not sure how or if that could work cause im pretty sure this fan controller controls via PWM not voltage modulation.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by geggeg View Post

I don't think any Lamptron controller uses PWM. Are you sure? Having a 4 pin connector doesn't necessarily mean PWM.
This review states that.

http://www.overclockers.com/lamptron-fc2-fc3-fan-controller-review/

"While still a digital PWM design, as you can see the PCB looks like it has been simplified considerably. They took the original, fixed it and simplified it - all while retaining the same specs. Lamptron chose the PWM design to avoid the waste heat given out in a typical resistor-based design. (When a resistor is used, it lets only the set amount of voltage through while dumping the remaining input power as heat."

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Anyone any idea of the possibility controlling LEDs on this lamptron FC-2B?

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Please, does anyone know if i can control LEDs with this fan controller? Im processing an rma for something else and need to know whether to include this in with that and order another controller that will work.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks, though that one is only 4 channels, id prefer at least 5.

Well id imagine any fan controller that is voltage should work fine on an LED in concept, i just wanted an answer on my current PWM one.

But assuming i was going to change controllers anyway i looked around and i liked the look of this one . 6 channels, 30 watts/channel, rpm and temp readouts and only $40 on ppcs.

It comes with 2 pin temp probes so im hopeful that something like this bitspower temp probe could work on it.

Only question is i cant find any answer for sure if its voltage controlled and not PWM. Its got heatsinks on it so im guessing it probably is. But i dont suppose someone could figure out a way to find that out for sure?

1,523 Posts
Theres the FC5 V3 as well, which is 6 channel. I love mine, and yes it has 6x temp probes included. I just went with a 2pin bitspower temp probe (curious about water temps right before cpu, and right after gpus). Its expensive though, like ~$90+. I like that on startup it puts all fans at full 12v for 3 seconds, that way the ones you have at low rpms like 600rpm dont just stay static.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts