Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Top kek
3,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys.

Picking up a new PSU, to replace my Corsair VS650.

Running a [email protected] on a ASRock Fatality Killer, along with a RX480,RX580,RX470 in the rig. Looking at 850W, it should be enough.

Looking at local shops, i dont have much choice for GOOD, EFFICIENT and not costing a KIDNEY.

The choices so far are:

EVGA SuperNova G3 850W - around 160E, but limited availability.

Corsair RM850x - around 160E as well.

Seasonic FOCUS SSR-850FX, 140E.

There is as well the Corsair TX850M, but its semi-modular, which means its cheaper quality.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
They are all excellent units. Nothing wrong with any of them. I would be inclined to buy the EVGA or the Seasonic, I’m just not a fan of Corsair in general. Given your build, I would buy the Seasonic because my OCD wouldn’t let me buy an EVGA product in an all AMD build, the PSU would be behind enemy lines. If you’re really impartial, buy the cheapest of the three. All of them tested extremely well.

·
Senior OCN Member
40,421 Posts
Just because something is only semi modular does not make it worse or cheaper quality so thats a bunch of nonsense
The TX is still a very good option if you dont care about fully modular

As for the G3 that one is very loud when used in hybrid fan mode so if you are looking for a PSU thats quiet in hybrid fan mode the G3 is not what you want
The Seasonic Foucs Plus is the obvious choice if its 20 euros cheaper

·
Top kek
3,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by shilka View Post

Just because something is only semi modular does not make it worse or cheaper quality so thats a bunch of nonsense
The TX is still a very good option if you dont care about fully modular

As for the G3 that one is very loud when used in hybrid fan mode so if you are looking for a PSU thats quiet in hybrid fan mode the G3 is not what you want
The Seasonic Foucs Plus is the obvious choice if its 20 euros cheaper
The TX seems like an old model, i didn't saw any new reviews of it, only stuff from 2012/2013. What type of grade it is, its above CX as far i see, but lower than RM. Will it take lot of kicking, as running it borderline on OCP, or in very warm environment? The current VS650 degraded fast - ~4months of 3 cards mining in case and several OCP triggers seems to have damaged it.

I dont really care about how loud it is. After all, 3 of the GPU's are going to mine a lot. Plus at least 1 will mine, when gaming.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Depauville Kid View Post

They are all excellent units. Nothing wrong with any of them. I would be inclined to buy the EVGA or the Seasonic, I'm just not a fan of Corsair in general. Given your build, I would buy the Seasonic because my OCD wouldn't let me buy an EVGA product in an all AMD build, the PSU would be behind enemy lines. If you're really impartial, buy the cheapest of the three. All of them tested extremely well.
I know that all of them are good, but which one is the best price/performance and is it worth it 20E extra?

·
Senior OCN Member
40,421 Posts
I assumed you where talking about the new gold rated TX model but are you?
The Seasonic is still the best bang for buck so while the G3 is better its not worth spending the extra 20 euros in my opinion

·
Top kek
3,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My bad, its the new model, the old was TX850, the new is TX850M.

Anyway, would the cables diameter matter?
From what i see, both the Corsair RM850x, Seasonic and the EVGA have 18AWG diameter, while only the TX850M has some cables with 16AWG. Is there much difference between 16 and 18? I would guess, the reason is, the TX850M has only 4 PCI-E, while all other have 6 PCI-E cables, and the load can be more balanced (thus no extra thick wire needed).

Other than that, the TX850M is the same price as the Seasonic, and this puts the Seasonic as a current winner.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ku4eto View Post

The TX seems like an old model, i didn't saw any new reviews of it, only stuff from 2012/2013. What type of grade it is, its above CX as far i see, but lower than RM. Will it take lot of kicking, as running it borderline on OCP, or in very warm environment? The current VS650 degraded fast - ~4months of 3 cards mining in case and several OCP triggers seems to have damaged it.

I dont really care about how loud it is. After all, 3 of the GPU's are going to mine a lot. Plus at least 1 will mine, when gaming.
I know that all of them are good, but which one is the best price/performance and is it worth it 20E extra?
As I said, they are all excellent units. I wouldn't really rate them in terms of price to performance. To me, that type of rating doesn't seem applicable to power supplies. The G3 and the Seasonic are both excellent units. Buy whichever is cheaper if you have no other preferences.

·
⤷ αC
11,239 Posts
Seasonic FOCUS would be my pick.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=531
https://www.kitguru.net/components/power-supplies/zardon/seasonic-focus-plus-gold-fx-850w-psu-review/
https://www.hardocp.com/article/2017/07/11/seasonic_focus_plus_gold_850w_power_supply_review
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/seasonic-focus-plus-gold-850-psu,5247.html
https://us.hardware.info/product/402636/seasonic-focus-plus-gold-850w/testresults

edit: To be more specific , it seems the Load regulation is the best, even if the full load ripple is slightly worse than the EVGA G3 and Corsair RMx (but still top tier)

As you are using a [email protected] 4GHz (hardly a strong overclock, I would say 4.7GHz or so is a high overclock on that) with a ~180W GPU it won't be fully loaded to 800W or more. Your load situation is more like 40-50% of the maximum 850W. This means the ripple is going to be on par with the Corsair & EVGA units.

·
Top kek
3,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, Seasonic is it then
smile.gif

1 - 9 of 9 Posts