Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Banned
2,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just debated my self into water cooling. Simply for the experience I get and to pursuit my knowledge further with some hands on experience.

What I know for sure is that my current case can't support water cooling of any kind (old roswill one). So, I'd need a new case as well. I don't know anything about water cooling, been using air for years. I don't know what radiator is good for what you do, good brands, or what to even do to make sure no leaks.

Also, how often do you need to clean out, re add coolant and overall maintenance to ensure stability?

I'm planning on just water cooling my GPU, which is a 4870. I would also like to get a water block that can be used on newer cards (like the 5000 ones) if possible.
My budget is MAXIMUM $400 (don't know how much to spend, but keep as far away as possible) including shipping + computer case, and without mir.

I might be buying in a week or two depending on what's going on.

As far as coolant cooler goes, it depends on the case ;P. But I really like a pale white color if possible.

Also, any nice guides out there on the interwebs? Bit to lazy to look for myself

Thanks

·
Registered
789 Posts
for the coolant get distilled water and either a killcoil or PT Nuke

give me a minute and I will make a list question:
do you like the look of the Haf series?

• Rep+
Reactions: Morizuno

·
Banned
2,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by gdawg33
View Post

for the coolant get distilled water and either a killcoil or PT Nuke

give me a minute and I will make a list question:
do you like the look of the Haf series?

Actually, I visited a comp usa an hour ago to see them in person lol. Other than the fact that it doesn't have a black interior and no dust filters, awesome case.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Morizuno
View Post

Actually, I visited a comp usa an hour ago to see them in person lol. Other than the fact that it doesn't have a black interior and no dust filters, awesome case.

well if you get this one it does come in black and you can buy filters

·
Unwilling Beta tester
7,188 Posts
Good beginners guide in the stickies of this site, another here.

As for Rads, are you after silence, performance, cost? There is a good review of a bunch of 360mm Rads here. Also on that site is a load of other useful info, well worth a read.

One thing that keeps getting said, and I wish I had taken notice of, is do your research (as you are doing here, good move). It is far better to spend 2 weeks reading than 2 months wishing you had bought different parts (and the cost of replacing them).

·
Banned
2,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Juggalo23451
View Post

Have a look in the wc sticks made a couple vids in there.
Water cooling rev1 is in my sig. More vids to come

Okay, I'll take a look.

Also, I'm probably gonna buy a crossfire config in a few months, can I possibly get stuff that can last until this summer ish and have the ability to cool dual cards?

Quote:

Originally Posted by GingerJohn
View Post

Good beginners guide here.

As for Rads, are you after silence, performance, cost? There is a good review of a bunch of 360mm Rads here. Also on that site is a load of other useful info, well worth a read.

One thing that keeps getting said, and I wish I had taken notice of, is do your research (as you are doing here, good move). It is far better to spend 2 weeks reading than 2 months wishing you had bought different parts (and the cost of replacing them).

I'm looking for the corsair of rads, so pretty much a little of all

Also, I'm not quite in a rush, infact the time that I probably will get around to buying will be early october. It's also a habit anyways to research something excessively before I do it / get it.

·
Unwilling Beta tester
7,188 Posts
A good all rounder is the XSPC RX series. They perform very well at low fan speeds, pretty well at higher fan speeds, have quite low restriction and don't cost a fortune (in the UK at least). The only thing about them is that they are 58mm thick; check that your case can accommodate them.

Full cover water blocks for GPUs are made for specific cards, and usually (but not always) for the reference design of the card. If you want a multi GPU block it will only cool the GPU itself, not the vregs / vram. You will probably need to attach heat sinks to the vregs / vram chips and make sure you have good airflow round the card if you go that route.

·
Banned
2,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

View Post

A good all rounder is the XSPC RX series. They perform very well at low fan speeds, pretty well at higher fan speeds, have quite low restriction and don't cost a fortune (in the UK at least). The only thing about them is that they are 58mm thick; check that your case can accommodate them.

Full cover water blocks for GPUs are made for specific cards, and usually (but not always) for the reference design of the card. If you want a multi GPU block it will only cool the GPU itself, not the vregs / vram. You will probably need to attach heat sinks to the vregs / vram chips and make sure you have good airflow round the card if you go that route.

Would it be overall a better investment to get a full cover water block? Also, can I use plain arctic silver 5 on the Gpu, or is there some special treatment that I don't know about.

·
Unwilling Beta tester
7,188 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Would it be overall a better investment to get a full cover water block? Also, can I use plain arctic silver 5 on the Gpu, or is there some special treatment that I don't know about.

It depends on if you are changing your graphics card any time soon. Each full cover block is tailored to a specific card, so you would need to buy a new one for a new card. If you are sticking with a certain card for a while, then I would go for a full cover. You will (usually) be able to get better OC results with a fully water cooled card.

AS5 is fine for the GPU, there are other TIMs out there but to be honest you will only see 1-2C difference, if that, between them.

As for special treatment, if you do go full cover then you usually need to use thermal pads on the other components under the block (vram / vreg). These will be included with your block. Other than that it is essentially no different from putting an air cooler on a CPU.

• Rep+
Reactions: Morizuno

·
Banned
2,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

View Post

It depends on if you are changing your graphics card any time soon. Each full cover block is tailored to a specific card, so you would need to buy a new one for a new card. If you are sticking with a certain card for a while, then I would go for a full cover. You will (usually) be able to get better OC results with a fully water cooled card.

AS5 is fine for the GPU, there are other TIMs out there but to be honest you will only see 1-2C difference, if that, between them.

As for special treatment, if you do go full cover then you usually need to use thermal pads on the other components under the block (vram / vreg). These will be included with your block. Other than that it is essentially no different from putting an air cooler on a CPU.

Thanks! well, I use this And from the looks of it, I think I only need a universal cooler as this is an open air model and looks like it has heatsinks for the vram

For a case, thanks gdawg for suggesting, I'll go with it. I believe the rad should be mounted uptop.

·
Unwilling Beta tester
7,188 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Oh, well, I use this And from the looks of it, I think I only need a universal cooler as this is an open air model and looks like it has heatsinks for the vram

Yeah, I would stick a GPU only block on that. I don't think you would be able to get a full cover block anyway, it looks like a custom PCB design. There is already a heat sink on the vreg (at that back of the card), the vram chips are bare. You can put something like these on them which would, coupled with decent airflow, make up for the loss of a fan right above them.

·
Banned
2,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:

View Post

Yeah, I would stick a GPU only block on that. I don't think you would be able to get a full cover block anyway, it looks like a custom PCB design. There is already a heat sink on the vreg (at that back of the card), the vram chips are bare. You can put something like these on them which would, coupled with decent airflow, make up for the loss of a fan right above them.

Alright. Where you suggest I order all of this? Newegg is pretty limited in my opening. Any dedicated US etailers?

Also, how much tubing is needed for a HAF 932? And any specific pump / rad combo you recommend for a possible dual gpu solution?

·
Unwilling Beta tester
7,188 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Alright. Where you suggest I order all of this? Newegg is pretty limited in my opening. Any dedicated US etailers?

Ah, there you have me. I am from the UK, so I have no personal experience with US e-tailers. I keep hearing about Performance PCs though, so it might be worth checking them out.

EDIT:

Quote:

View Post

Also, how much tubing is needed for a HAF 932? And any specific pump / rad combo you recommend for a possible dual gpu solution?

Tubing, I can't guess. Depends on how you route your tubes.

Pumps: For GPU only you are going to have a low restriction loop, so I would go with the MCP-350 or 355, with an XSPC top. Or if you want a bit lower cost, the OCZ Hydro Pulse 500 is good. I use a re-branded version of it and I am happy with the performance, especially given that it is pretty much silent when mounted on some petra tech gell stuff.

·
Registered
789 Posts
like I said before just use distilled water and PT nuke or a killcoil or you will get an infection of algae you will need to get 6 of these and 6 of these

EDIT: I would also suggest getting a pump top

·
Banned
2,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:

View Post

like I said before just use distilled water and PT nuke or a killcoil or you will get an infection of algae you will need to get 6 of these and 6 of these

EDIT: I would also suggest getting a pump top

People have been saying that distilled water is a bad idea :s

Quote:

View Post

Ah, there you have me. I am from the UK, so I have no personal experience with US e-tailers. I keep hearing about Performance PCs though, so it might be worth checking them out.

EDIT:

Tubing, I can't guess. Depends on how you route your tubes.

Pumps: For GPU only you are going to have a low restriction loop, so I would go with the MCP-350 or 355, with an XSPC top. Or if you want a bit lower cost, the OCZ Hydro Pulse 500 is good. I use a re-branded version of it and I am happy with the performance, especially given that it is pretty much silent when mounted on some petra tech gell stuff.

Oh ok, thanks. I was thinking something like GPU > Pump > rad > res. Where can I find the length of the tubing?

·
Unwilling Beta tester
7,188 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Ok,

first time picking out stuff. How much of the tubing do I need?

Coolant

Res

Pump

Tubing

Rad

VGA waterblock

I know I probably missed a whole bunch of stuff, but I don't know which clamps and other stuff to use atm.

Instead of coolant, just go for distilled water and either PT nuke or a silver killcoil. The coolant will just do a good job of coating your blocks, and with UV red tubing you wont notice it's loss.

That Res is a split res, used for running two loops. here is the single loop version, slightly cheaper too! It has a built in pump top, so you only need the pump. Basically you take the top off the pump and attach the bottom bit the the res. The res has the pipe fittings on it (you need barbs, more later)

Pump is good, quite powerful and works with your res.

Tubing is tubing. Like I said, it is difficult to guess how much you need for that case, as it also depends on your loop arrangement. I would go for at least 2 meters, but that is just a guess. More is always better, it is very frustrating to have to hold up your build half way though.

Not sure about the rad either way. It performs reasonably well with medium to high fan speeds, but I don't think the HAF takes a 360 without some modding, you might want to check that.

VGA water block, good product.

You also need barbs, or compression fittings. People rave about compression fittings, I have never used them. For barbs, you want some that go with your tubing (1/2" Inner Diameter (ID) tubing, 1/2" barb). Here is an example of a good 1/2" barb. For compression fittings, you need to check both the ID and OD of your tubing is suitable.

If you are using barbs, then clamps are recommended. Even though tubing will probably stay on the barb without, I like them for the added peace of mind. They need to match the outer diameter (OD) of your tubing, which is 3/4" for the tube you picked out. I really like the spring steel type, but there are other options out there too.

Edit: As stated, you will need 6 barbs; two for the rad, two for the VGA block and two for the res. The pump can be incorporated into the res, no need for barbs for it.

·
Registered
789 Posts

·
Banned
2,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Quote:

View Post

like this

Ok, thanks.

Quote:

View Post

Instead of coolant, just go for distilled water and either PT nuke or a silver killcoil. The coolant will just do a good job of coating your blocks, and with UV red tubing you wont notice it's loss.

That Res is a split res, used for running two loops. here is the single loop version, slightly cheaper too! It has a built in pump top, so you only need the pump. Basically you take the top off the pump and attach the bottom bit the the res. The res has the pipe fittings on it (you need barbs, more later)

Pump is good, quite powerful and works with your res.

Tubing is tubing. Like I said, it is difficult to guess how much you need for that case, as it also depends on your loop arrangement. I would go for at least 2 meters, but that is just a guess. More is always better, it is very frustrating to have to hold up your build half way though.

Not sure about the rad either way. It performs reasonably well with medium to high fan speeds, but I don't think the HAF takes a 360 without some modding, you might want to check that.

VGA water block, good product.

You also need barbs, or compression fittings. People rave about compression fittings, I have never used them. For barbs, you want some that go with your tubing (1/2" Inner Diameter (ID) tubing, 1/2" barb). Here is an example of a good 1/2" barb. For compression fittings, you need to check both the ID and OD of your tubing is suitable.

If you are using barbs, then clamps are recommended. Even though tubing will probably stay on the barb without, I like them for the added peace of mind. They need to match the outer diameter (OD) of your tubing, which is 3/4" for the tube you picked out. I really like the spring steel type, but there are other options out there too.

Edit: As stated, you will need 6 barbs; two for the rad, two for the VGA block and two for the res. The pump can be incorporated into the res, no need for barbs for it.

Thanks so much, I guess distilled water is the way to go. I don't know if a 932 supports a 360 either, I based it off of the fan sizes (It could hold 3 120mm up top).

What are barbs for? And where do you add the clamps? So, 6 barbs and 6 clamps, right?

Also, where can I add another tube for a second gpu?

1 - 20 of 84 Posts