Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I turned off my AA AS and turned my image settings to high performance.
I even overclocked.What else do i do?? im getting 20-30 fps.
And v-sync is on otherwise my screen flickers white stripes for some reason.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azule
not sure much else you can do, it is a demanding game and your system isnt ideal for it. If youve already overclocked etc only other suggestions clean up your system. Tweak it and run disk cleanup turn off anything hogging your memory and cpu. get rid of old files. remove any programs you no longer need.

If your willing too you could format and reinstall this does usually help having a clean system but this is your choice

·
Banned
154 Posts
did you try turning your screen resolution down, and changing the settings in the game. I've got a 5500 and have no probs. with the medium settings, Doom 3 just requires alot of computer speed to run right.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Quote:

I'm afraid your rig isn't really up to it. Your going to have to turn everything down to have a chance at getting a descent framerate.

Just for a test I put a 6800GT in a AMD1800+ 4x AGP and that only achieved 30fps on medium.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by gibant1
I'm afraid your rig isn't really up to it. Your going to have to turn everything down to have a chance at getting a descent framerate.

Just for a test I put a 6800GT in a AMD1800+ 4x AGP and that only achieved 30fps on medium.
I play 1024x764 res. mediam quality and went to advanced settings turned off everything expect. bump map and verticle sync. I mostly think its my ram and cpu. Its like its paging a file, then my grafix starts to clear up. Dont you think im right?

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Quote:

I play 1024x764 res. mediam quality and went to advanced settings turned off everything expect. bump map and verticle sync. I mostly think its my ram and cpu. Its like its paging a file, then my grafix starts to clear up. Dont you think im right?
It's not your ram, 1gig is plenty. If you haven't already unpacked the Doom3 wad files then here's a guide to do it http://doom.neoseeker.com/DOOM_3/PC/...rmance_tweaks/

It makes a big difference.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Quote:

try updating your vidio drivers it usally helps it may increse your fram rate a little

·
Registered
956 Posts
from a purely visual stand point, there is no real difference from low medium,or high resolution, only shadeing that's about it.

·
Premium Member
4,730 Posts
doom 3s engine also controls antialiasing and anisotropic filtering, not the graphic card... make sure you turn off aa and af in your cards control panel or set it to application controlled... when you change the setting you also affect the default setting at which doom 3 sets its in game antialiasing, anisotropic filtering, and lighting and shadowing

·
Banned
789 Posts
Quote:

You may try turning off bump mapping as well, this can be pretty strenuos on your gfx card depending on the complexity of the bump map itself.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:

Originally Posted by *******
You may try turning off bump mapping as well, this can be pretty strenuos on your gfx card depending on the complexity of the bump map itself.
I did that once turning off the bump map. i see no diff. the character detials are like ultra low.

And uh. Im useing the 71.20c Geforce FX modified drivers. [control panel settings] high performance image settings, aa and as is off and v-sync controlled. and overclocked no higher than my detect omptimal freq settings. 250 core 500 mem up to 300 core 600 mem average. Im scared to go higher than that.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Quote:

I did that once turning off the bump map. i see no diff. the character detials are like ultra low.

And uh. Im useing the 71.20c Geforce FX modified drivers. [control panel settings] high performance image settings, aa and as is off and v-sync controlled. and overclocked no higher than my detect omptimal freq settings. 250 core 500 mem up to 300 core 600 mem average. Im scared to go higher than that.
Apparently you have a very good card for overclocking http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/35847/

Some people have used 5700 drivers to change the card and others have overclock of 375/600. Do use your common sense though and make sure you have plenty of cooling.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:

Apparently you have a very good card for overclocking http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/35847/

Some people have used 5700 drivers to change the card and others have overclock of 375/600. Do use your common sense though and make sure you have plenty of cooling.

I got plenty. i got like 5 or 6 fans in the pc [most this case can get with fans]
If i add 75 to my core.. ouch thats alot am i wrong for this card? I just dont want to burn out this good card

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Quote:

I got plenty. i got like 5 or 6 fans in the pc [most this case can get with fans]
If i add 75 to my core.. ouch thats alot am i wrong for this card? I just dont want to burn out this good card

You can try to up the overclock in say increments of 10, Play doom3 and If you start seeing artifacts, drop it back to the previous value.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:

You can try to up the overclock in say increments of 10, Play doom3 and If you start seeing artifacts, drop it back to the previous value.
Seems that my screen goes black. o_O [sets settings to preview]
Doom 3 is an awsome game. Best with smooth video. overclocking makes it hard
If only that popular 6800GT was on sale

·
Premium Member
4,730 Posts
too bad... with my msi 5700 256 megs at default speeds I play doom 3 on ultra quality, 1024 x 768, 4x AA, 2x AF, all special effects enabled and I get 20-40 fps... only drops that low when Im in huge fights with lots of monsters... sure its annoying for a second but its completely playable... besides, movies are filmed in just less than 30 fps so in reality its not as if people are going to notice a huge difference in performance

keep playing with the settings and the card... dont do the pak file tweak tho, it does absolutely nothing... what do you think is faster, a program searching 4 large files or a program searching thousands of small files?... if you dont know what Im talking about, pay no attention...

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quote:

Originally Posted by thenut
too bad... with my msi 5700 256 megs at default speeds I play doom 3 on ultra quality, 1024 x 768, 4x AA, 2x AF, all special effects enabled and I get 20-40 fps... only drops that low when Im in huge fights with lots of monsters... sure its annoying for a second but its completely playable... besides, movies are filmed in just less than 30 fps so in reality its not as if people are going to notice a huge difference in performance

keep playing with the settings and the card... dont do the pak file tweak tho, it does absolutely nothing... what do you think is faster, a program searching 4 large files or a program searching thousands of small files?... if you dont know what Im talking about, pay no attention...

omg... such detail... i would lag like **** in that detail..

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by thenut

Ignore this madman haha, It does make a difference as you have already found out.

To the NUT. Yes it is faster to find several files than unpack a large one. Good name you have

1 - 20 of 32 Posts