Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So christmas is rolling around soon and I'm upgrading the sig rig.Heres what I have planned

Corsair X32 SSD
Corsair XMS3 DDR3 4GB kit,1333Mhz (2x2GB)
Windows 7 (64bit) Premium (OEM)
2x Noctua NF-P14's
Coolermaster Storm Sentinel mouse

Anything out of the list I should avoid ?

·
Premium Member
7,731 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deano12345
View Post

So christmas is rolling around soon and I'm upgrading the sig rig.Heres what I have planned

Corsair X32 SSD
Corsair XMS3 DDR3 4GB kit,1333Mhz (2x2GB)
Windows 7 (64bit) Premium (OEM)
2x Noctua NF-P14's
Coolermaster Storm Sentinel mouse

Anything out of the list I should avoid ?

definitely get the RAM. You need that.

I would save the money on an SSD and get RAID-0 Caviar Blacks, or Seagate 7200.12 or F3's from samsung.

I would go with a Logitech or razer mouse. I recommend the deathadder.

• Rep+
Reactions: Deano12345

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
get the ram first and foremost. you HAVE to have that for win 7. for hard drives, you can get the ssd, but you are going to spend a lot. i agree with crooksy on the caviar blacks in raid. those are still going to be plenty fast. i personally like logitech gaming mice. i have a g5 and love it.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm thinking of going RAID1 on a pair of Samung F3's in a while,the SSD would be for Windows and a game or 2 only (0.1ms access FTW).

I've tried alot of mice,inc alot of the Razor range and they just dont suit me (I have wierd hands lol)although I still have to try the Microsoft Sidewinder and the Logitech G-mice.

·
Premium Member
8,479 Posts
Hello.

Well, as I'm sure you know: The RAM is the most important upgrade on the list. Making the move from 2GB of RAM to 4GB of RAM was amazing; I can't even imagine what it will be like for you. Everything will run so much smoother, you can do more at once, etc. you will definitely be pleased with that upgrade.

The SSD (I'm not very up-to-date with SSDs, I don't know which models are good etc.) but any SSD is an improvement upon any hard drive. You'll notice a huge boost in desktop speed/responsiveness, and boot time should be hugely decreased. However, as has been said, RAID 0 with some fast hard drives isn't a bad option either. Whatever you decide to do with your storage devices will yield big gains in speed, that's for sure.

Windows 7 is an amazing OS. I love it. Coming from Vista 64 Bit, it was a great upgrade. Everything feels smoother, snappier, etc. and it's also more practical to use, and is generally easier to use, you won't be disappointed.

The Noctua fans there are fairly good, but they're slightly overpriced, and you can get fans with better static pressure for the money, but they won't be as quiet. If you must have silence, then get them; they won't disappoint there, and I'm sure they'll be an upgrade over your current fans. If your budget/ears will allow you to, I'd personally pick up a 120mm x 38mm fan instead, they generally have higher static pressure than 25mm fans, and generate this at a lower dB rate. Soemthing like the Sunon Denki from www.scan.co.uk would be good - mine is very quiet and gives me great temperatures.

I've not had any personal experiences with your mouse, but from the reviews, it seems to be good. Personally, I'd just get a Logitech MX518 just because it's tried and tested, and cheaper than the CoolerMaster mouse. It also has Logitech's amazing warranty, meaning that if your mouse ever breaks, you can phone them, and have a replacement mouse within a couple of days.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
sounds like a great plan for the hard drives!

if you still can't find a good gaming mouse, try out the logitech g9. it is a claw-style mouse. not sure if that is what you meant by saying your hand is weird, but i know lots of people that don't like the g5 but love the g9. either way, logitech can cover you.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@medicadpa : I know what you mean about the noctua being pricey,bit scan kills us Irish on shipping so the denkis end up coming out quite expensive.Also,with the IFX,38mm thick fans are impossible to fit where I'm swapping fans.I'll make sure to try the Mx518 and G9. Thanks guys

1 - 7 of 7 Posts