Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im fairly new to networking and recently obtained a cisco 2950 switch to hook up the stuff in my room, Xbox, sig rig (fixed at last
*refer to other post*), and macbook model 2,1. And later on foxtel. I was wonder how to access the settings and such, i was told it had an ip of 192.168.0.111 but i typed it into firefox and nothing came up. (connection timed out). This switch is connected to a wrt54g router with gigabit port. dd-wrt. The router doesnt identify the switch either because i thinks its because its in a 0.111 subnet or whatever. Please help

EDIT: everything is in working order tho, i just want to get into the settings.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
LUCKY!!!! I'm jealous!

Do what JDT02 recomends via telnet and see if you can reach your device, and for your sake I hope there isn't an enable secret password, or you'll be learning how to crack encryption.. J/k there are easier ways in..

You'll want to buy a serial console port cable to connect to your router for a backup, or until you can get in to configure the VLAN1 interface and setup vty 0 to log in remotely. Buy one, plug it in, set the following settings, and turn the device on.

that will boot you through the power on mode, and with any hope of luck, the device will have hadits running-config file reset back to it's original state. That's your sure fire every-time way!

Let us know how it goes..

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTD92 View Post
Cisco switch doesn't support management over the web browser. You are going to have to do it over Telnet or Hyper Terminal.

Open CMD
Type in telnet 192.168.0.111

If the command doesn't work you have to install telnet. http://www.leateds.com/2009/telnet-f...sta-windows-7/

Tell if it works.

EDIT: Do you know the Cisco IOS?
Wrong. Cisco has a built in HTTP server fuction in all of their newer IOS versions, you can enable it by typing

Code:

Code:
Router1#configure terminal 
Enter configuration commands, one per line.  End with CNTL/Z.
Router1(config)#access-list 75 permit your.computers.ip.address.
Router1(config)#access-list 75 deny any
Router1(config)#ip http server
Router1(config)#ip http access-class 75
Router1(config)#end
Router1#
The problem still remains, that HTTP is clear text like ftp and telnet, so anyone using a packet sniffer can follow the TCP stream and reconstruct everything you have typed during your conversation with your router.. The best security measure you can take is setting up your routers SSH server and using TreaTerm or Putty to connect.. You can do that by creating a domain, and making a RSA key like so.

EDIT: You can enable HTTPS by using the ip http secure-server command in place of the ip http-server. You can read more on that on cisco's
website

I'm not sure which version of GUI that switch supports either SDM or CCP, but once you configure your switch to use either, you can point and click your settings insted of using the IOS command line interface.

Code:

Code:
Enter configuration commands, one per line.  End with CNTL/Z.
Router1(config)#hostname Router1
Router1(config)#ip domain-name scottsee.com
Router1(config)#crypto key generate rsa
The name for the keys will be: Router1.scottsee.com
Choose the size of the key modulus in the range of 360 to 2048 for your
  General Purpose Keys. Choosing a key modulus greater than 512 may take
  a few minutes.

How many bits in the modulus [512]: 1024
Generating RSA keys ...
[OK]

Router1(config)#
Jun 27 15:04:15: %SSH-5-ENABLED: SSH 1.5 has been enabled
[I]Router1(config)#ip ssh time-out 120 
Router1(config)#ip ssh authentication-retries 4
Router1(config)#end[/I]
Router1#
The last bit in italic is optional but will set up your session to time out after 120 seconds, with only 4 fail attempts. You can adjust that how you like..

I'm getting ahead of myself, but yea, give that a go..

·
Premium Member
5,410 Posts
Also you need to set an IP address for the switch in order for the router and switch to communicate.

Quote:
Enter configuration commands, one per line. End with CNTL/Z.
Router1(config)#int vlan 99
Router1(config)#ip address 192.168.0.254 255.255.255.0
Router1(config)#ip default 192.168.0.1
Router1(config)#
I am not sure about ip default part.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
invalid command for telnet is there a way around this in the telnet thingy, @scottsee i dont think ill be buying the consol thingy haha. Cisco ios?? whats that??? its catalyst 2950. im sure it has a web management server on it, just unsure how to access it.

·
Premium Member
5,410 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by anthony92 View Post
invalid command for telnet is there a way around this in the telnet thingy, @scottsee i dont think ill be buying the consol thingy haha. Cisco ios?? whats that??? its catalyst 2950. im sure it has a web management server on it, just unsure how to access it.
Have you tried this link?

http://www.leateds.com/2009/telnet-f...sta-windows-7/

·
Premium Member
5,410 Posts
Quote:

yep

it goes into the microsoft telnet client but when i type the ip with telnet its invalid
Either the IP address you were given was wrong, unfortunately the best way to do this is by configuring the router by a console cable.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Quote:

The cable is manditory if you don't have acess to the vty0 remote connection port, becasue you don't know it, or isn't configured. You have to set the switch up to use telnet, web interface, ssh, etc.. It's done through the serial cable..

IOS is cisco's operating system, you'll want to know it..

EDIT: The cables are not much depending on the type, around $10-$35. Look for a RS232 to rj45 cable, much nicer to cary around..

·
Premium Member
5,410 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by anthony92
View Post

wait there is an option i found in help caleed "open <hostname>" but what port should i use port 23 just connection failed

In CMD?

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottsee
View Post

The cable is manditory if you don't have acess to the vty0 remote connection port, becasue you don't know it, or isn't configured. You have to set the switch up to use telnet, web interface, ssh, etc.. It's done through the serial cable..

IOS is cisco's operating system, you'll want to know it..

This.

I don't know but a Cisco switch might not be right for you. A Linksys brand switch would be better for you.

·
Premium Member
2,529 Posts
Quote:

View Post

LUCKY!!!! I'm jealous!

jealous of a 10/100 switch? not me...

console into it if you can't get the IP... if you can't find a console cable i can tell you how to make an rj-45 to serial adapter into one...

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by LiNERROR
View Post

console into it if you can't get the IP...

well it was 3000 when the guy got it sooo
, i really only use the gigabit ports on it

Edit: yes telnet thingy IN cmd

Also will the mode of the switch affect it from connecting, Right now its on speed.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by LiNERROR
View Post

console into it if you can't get the IP... if you can't find a console cable i can tell you how to make an rj-45 to serial adapter into one...

2950's a nice box.. What did you pay for it?

EDIT: Mode does nothing but monitor, don't pay attention to that. Get a serial cable and a Cisco IOS book and get it done!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Quote:

View Post

2950's a nice box.. What did you pay for it?

EDIT: Mode does nothing but monitor, don't pay attention to that. Get a serial cable and a Cisco IOS book and get it done!

Unlike our friend, I'm able to get into the my 2950 I got it off work because they just closed an office so it was lying around so they told me I to take it home. I was able to do a factory reset to default on it.

I was able to put an IP on the switch and able to browse the web with my PC's that I connect to it. My problem is that my Sony PS3 will not get an IP off it. It doesn't see my DHCP server like the other 4 PC's connected but goes into PRIVATE IP range. Off my old HP hub the PS3 gets an IP no problem and I'm able to see the network and go to the web but this cisco nothing. Very confused. On the web-base interface I see the unit up and connected. Any ideas?

Sorry to steal the thread but since it's the same unit I figured why not.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by scottsee View Post
Just give it a static valid IP in your dhcp range..
I'll give that a go and see, but why wouldn't it get an address off the DHCP?

·
Premium Member
4,484 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronin_Ng
View Post

I'll give that a go and see, but why wouldn't it get an address off the DHCP?

Have you tried disconnecting one of the PCs and plugging the PS3 into the same port?

Just asking 'cause there might be VLAN configurations against some of the ports... and you just so happened to connect your PS3 to one of these ports...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ComGuards
View Post

Have you tried disconnecting one of the PCs and plugging the PS3 into the same port?

Just asking 'cause there might be VLAN configurations against some of the ports... and you just so happened to connect your PS3 to one of these ports...

Yup, I tried all 23 ports available same for all of them...turns up but no IP received on this switch.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts