Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the freq and the multiplier, what determines your max freq allowed. Is it your max memory freq divided by 2? Is it your system bus speed divided by 2? I am asking this because the stock max speed is 133x13, 266(FSB)/2 is 133. I hope im not confusing you guys.

Thanks
neeyedsm

·
Premium Member
22,000 Posts
What kind of proceser do you have? Motherboard?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chipp

What kind of proceser do you have? Motherboard?

Its a AMD Athlon 2100+ (model 6) Palomino running on an A7V8X with 1 512kb PC3200 ram and a FX5600 for graphics.

I understand the palominos suck for overclocking but it can be done. I am also asking this for future reference when I upgrade to a barton or something.

·
Premium Member
9,589 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by BlazeR

With the freq and the multiplier, what determines your max freq allowed. Is it your max memory freq divided by 2? Is it your system bus speed divided by 2? I am asking this because the stock max speed is 133x13, 266(FSB)/2 is 133. I hope im not confusing you guys.

Thanks
neeyedsm

Determining "max frequency" is difficult at best...and even then its an estimation.

The math you speak of is also tough on some people because of manufacturers consistently confusing the snot out of people with their "400 FSB!!!" and "800 FSB!!!"

Your front side bus, for your palamino, is 133 MHz. Your multiplier is 13. So your clock speed is 133x13 = 1.729 GHz

Feel free to ask alot more questions
(I know I did...)

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow, 133 FSB, that is wack man. That is freakin leet, so when I am looking for a new processor (ex. barton 2500+ 333mhz), its fsb is going to be 166 or 333?

Like this from Newegg

I mean, I totally was under the impression that I bought a 266 FSB processor because I did know a little about FSB and I researched all that.

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
It's like X says, the manufactures confuse people... the 333 or 400 FSB you see on Bartons is actually the memory bus, same way with the P4s, 800MHz FSB is actually an 800MHz memory bus. The real external FSB is half the memory bus for XPs, and 1/4 the memory bus for P4s. If that makes any sense...
So yours has a 133MHz FSB and a 266MHz memory bus
a Barton 333MHz would have a 266MHz FSB and a 333MHz memory bus

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by YiffyGriffy

It's like X says, the manufactures confuse people... the 333 or 400 FSB you see on Bartons is actually the memory bus, same way with the P4s, 800MHz FSB is actually an 800MHz memory bus. The real external FSB is half the memory bus for XPs, and 1/4 the memory bus for P4s. If that makes any sense...
So yours has a 133MHz FSB and a 266MHz memory bus
a Barton 333MHz would have a 266MHz FSB and a 333MHz memory bus

When you say the memory bus of the processor, that is actually the memory speed max the processor can handle with whatever RAM you use?

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
Well the memory bus and FSB are ultimately determined by the NorthBridge Chipset, but the user can manual adjust it so that it runs faster.

·
Premium Member
2,687 Posts
What i think you are confused with is that the 266Mz is your DDR frequency. your fsb may only be going at 133Mz but with DDR its like the fsb is going at 266Mz.
Hope that made any sence, and with your palmano core, i feel your pain. i have a 1700+ palmano and a horable mobo but i still can boost it by 200mz

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
The 2100 could be either an "A" or "B" core... get CPU-Z @ www.cpuid.com to tell all!

The "B" core is a better OCer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts