Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Twin Turbski
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This PC was built from old QX6850 parts. Including Asus P5Q3 Motherboard, 8GB G.skill Ripjaws 1600 CL7 kit and ThermalRight Ultra 120 Extreme cooler. I was fed up with my old QX6850 and pulled the trigger on a new Q9650 for $22 (ebay). Overclocking to follow...

Attachments

·
Twin Turbski
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bump up to 4.1 and showing no reliability problems so we'll go for more...

Attachments

·
Twin Turbski
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Settled for 4.3Ghz stable as tested with AIDA64 torture test for 20 minutes. This is best effort on the FSB @ 43 percent. Any higher and I start to run into reliability issues.

AIDA64 Cache and Memory benchmark (running CL6 @ 1440mhz) due to the 3:5 ratio. 400Mhz FSB strap (So it's not a true 796Mhz, more like 720Mhz @ 6-7-7-13 2T) The 400Mhz FSB strap seems to be best for this rig.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
its very solid chip :) Nice build! I bought few days ago to my colection Maximus Formula and Q9550 :)

·
Twin Turbski
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
its very solid chip :) Nice build! I bought few days ago to my colection Maximus Formula and Q9550 :)
Thanks bro, for the small investment I think it was well worth it. Looking forward to see what you can do with that Q9550!

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I hope for 4 GHz benchamrks "only" :) I also bought E8600 for LN2 part :)

·
Tech Enthusiast
12,390 Posts
I absolutely love this, I'm still bummed my old Q6600 couldn't quite get to 4GHz... I miss those days of OC'ing. I should look into finding some old parts for funsies.

·
Newb to Overclock.net
4,756 Posts
I absolutely love this, I'm still bummed my old Q6600 couldn't quite get to 4GHz... I miss those days of OC'ing. I should look into finding some old parts for funsies.
I had a horrible ASRock p35 board with terrible vdroop that could not stabilize 3.52GHz at 1.6v (while most Q6600 G0 hit 3.6GHz easy), but it played Witcher 2 well enough with the Swiftech H220 AIO. Good times.

·
Premium Member
4,635 Posts
That's so great man.

I had Q9550 E0 running at 3.9GHz 24/7 stable in IBT, Prime 95 Large and SMALL FFT for 12hrs each at 1.28V Vcore (Load) , ON AIR with CM 212 Hyper cooler. (see pic attached at the bottom)

This was on P5Q PRO (DDR2) and P5QC (DDR3).

I also had CPUID validation @ 4.5GHz on air (530MHz FSB) https://valid.x86.fr/show_oc.php?id=1741603

and I ran Super Pi @ 4.4GHz.

Man this were fun times. :D

CHEERS..

Attachments

·
Twin Turbski
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, the old days are not forgotten! Looks like you have a solid chip there!

This is only my 5th LGA 775 chip so this stuff is all relatively new to me.

I'm going to see if I can push the CPU a little further and I'll come back with some torture test results.

The problem I'm facing right now is if I go above 500 on the FSB I have to do a manual reboot. That is, shut down the system, switch power off and then back on again.

·
Nvidia "shill"
1,440 Posts
I actually just resurrected my old 775 build myself except with a few different things. An EVGA nforce 790i Sli Ultra and a QX9650 its has a ton of life left in it (more so than people think) but mine tops out at 4GHz on my Hyper 212 Evo. But then again the non extreme chips do overclock a lot better if you get the E stepping ones. Either way you are going to have a lot of fun with that rig.

·
Twin Turbski
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah for being 10 years old this processor still kicks butt.

Never toyed with a QX9650 but I imagine it's a beast of a processor.
Still, I'm happy with the Q9650 for now. When paired with good memory at tight timings and an SSD it makes for quite the snappy system.

Running Windows 10 Pro and hope to have this system around for many years to come.

·
*cough*Stock*cough*
3,104 Posts
See how fast you can get the FSB and memory going. I do remember that LGA 775 chips loved fast FSB and memory.

·
Nvidia "shill"
1,440 Posts
Yeah for being 10 years old this processor still kicks butt.

Never toyed with a QX9650 but I imagine it's a beast of a processor.
Still, I'm happy with the Q9650 for now. When paired with good memory at tight timings and an SSD it makes for quite the snappy system.

Running Windows 10 Pro and hope to have this system around for many years to come.
Stick with your E0 Q9650, it’ll hit frequencies a C1 QX9650 will only dream of. I only got the QX chip so I can run my RAM linked to the fsb and still be able to take the CPU to 4GHz. Though this thing loves my GTX 660 SLI.

·
Twin Turbski
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks. I am happy with 4.3Ghz stable. Temps are under control. Idle around 95*F and under load about 170*F. So well within specs. Hope to have this PC around for a long time to come.

·
Nvidia "shill"
1,440 Posts
Thanks. I am happy with 4.3Ghz stable. Temps are under control. Idle around 95*F and under load about 170*F. So well within specs. Hope to have this PC around for a long time to come.
170F (76C) is a tad on the high side for a Core 2 Quad, not by a huge amount but I generally heard its best to keep it below 75C (70C really if you care about longevity) though if that's just stress test temps then your real world temps probably won't hit that and I wouldn't worry too much about it. Those idle temps are nice though, my QX stays mostly in the upper 40C range except one core that is just odd and stays at like 27C, but load temps in CB R15 hottest core I saw hit 71C and the rest were upper 60C range.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts