Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Starting to become a BOFH
10,471 Posts
Take a cup of water and dump it right on top while it's on.

Air duster and an unused toothbrush should be fine.

·
Premium Member
8,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by legoman786 View Post

Was thinking I should clean up the thermal paste and put on some MX2 that I've got.
So I suppose the OP should be asking how I'd take off the cooler, as I'm confounded

·
Starting to become a BOFH
10,471 Posts
Oh... Of course.

Reference or non-reference?

·
Registered
444 Posts
I want to clean and change the TIM on my reference one as well, anyone know what screws to unscrew to take off the heat sink?

·
Premium Member
10,858 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lee79 View Post
I want to clean and change the TIM on my reference one as well, anyone know what screws to unscrew to take off the heat sink?
You have to take them all off, and my 5870 even has a screw on the backplate connected to the cooler.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
You have to unscrew all of them off. I just did this last night. I take the ramsink off too. Just dont have the thermal pads touch anything and you wiggle it off, everything will be fine.

·
Loosing Vision
1,892 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by legoman786 View Post

WHAT!

Use a Hose it more thorough..

Get a 1" paint brush to clean the sinks off with and canned air.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOcelot
View Post

You have to unscrew all of them off. I just did this last night. I take the ramsink off too. Just dont have the thermal pads touch anything and you wiggle it off, everything will be fine.

I had a good look at the picture I posted and just tried the 4 X brace screws and it came off without removing the RAM sink, So I gave it a good clean up, the heat sink was blocked with dust and put some MX-3 TIM on it and knocked off 5 degrees C of my idle temps took 10 mins at the most was well worth it thanks for the help.

·
Loosing Vision
1,892 Posts
Not a problem, You ma get a better temp after it sets awhile too..

·
Premium Member
8,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazzyRussian
View Post

Use MX3 instead of MX2. Works a few degrees cooler than MX2

Maybe if that's what I had laying around

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lee79
View Post

I had a good look at the picture I posted and just tried the 4 X brace screws and it came off without removing the RAM sink, So I gave it a good clean up, the heat sink was blocked with dust and put some MX-3 TIM on it and knocked off 5 degrees C of my idle temps took 10 mins at the most was well worth it thanks for the help.

So are you telling me that the screws that my screwdriver is too large to unscrew successfully are the only ones I need to take off?!

·
Registered
444 Posts
If it is a reference card just unscrew the 4 on the X bracket on the back and it opens up like this.

Then you can unscrew the 4 screws holding the Heatsink and clean that aswell.

·
Premium Member
5,329 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dilyn View Post
How do?

I was just spectating a game of TF2 when I noticed my temps were reaching 80C

I seriously need to dust this thing out apparently. So, how do?

Your temps are comming from something else.. I have this old ATI 1950X or something and after so many years there was no dust inside and I havent cleaned it since the first day.. so don't except your temps to even drop by 1C.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lune View Post
Your temps are comming from something else.. I have this old ATI 1950X or something and after so many years there was no dust inside and I havent cleaned it since the first day.. so don't except your temps to even drop by 1C.
Not everyone has there PC in a dust free environment my 5770 had dust in it and I have Dust filters on all my intake fans of my case.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts