Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've given my waterblock 3 ketchup + salt baths at this point. It looks clean and is slightly reflective, but still has a dull haze over it. Also, this block has never been used. I had to clean it since the first thing I did when I got it was handled it a lot then threw it back in the box for a few months. Is this anything I should worry about as far as thermal performance goes? I'm not concerned if it's just an aesthetic thing.

Here's some pics. I apologize for the quality. A 2MP phone camera is all I have to work with.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't really catch what I'm talking about too much with my terribad camera unfortunately. I'll try to get some better pics up. The thing is, I can't tell if it is residue or not. Best way I can describe it is a swirly milky haze/swirl. And it won't come off with ketchup or iso alc. Any idea what I'm describing might be?

EDIT: better pics

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anybody?

Might still give limes a try before giving up since they're a little more acidic.

·
Premium Member
22,477 Posts
Can you smear the haze around with you finger? If it's not movable it's probably just discoloration of some kind. Hard to tell in that pic.

If you can smear it around and plain alcohol wont take it off try some Acetone, that will get almost anything off. If you don't have any of the hardware store acetone some finger nail polish remover might work, it has real dilute tone in it.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No, I can't move the haze around. What could cause discoloration like that? I know it had a nice mirror finish when new.

·
Premium Member
22,477 Posts
Man I just don't know, it usually gets darker spots on it not lighter. But if you can't move it around and it's not rough feeling I can't think of anything else it could be but some kind of discoloration.

Discoloration wont hurt temp's any, I've got some that have really dark deep stains on them and it's NP temp wise, it's in so deep there would be no way of even lapping it out of them.

·
RGB Numba Wan!
23,324 Posts
I used Brasso, I was hesitant to use it, but it came out mirror polished. I rinsed the copper with distilled to make sure the cleaner was completely gone before assembly.

• Rep+
Reactions: champyg
1 - 8 of 8 Posts