Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Anyway im waiting to upgrade to Broadwell-e cpu (i7 6800k) and Pascal gpu if the name is correct gtx 1070 or other name they will give. Basically a x99 rig.

I will only use the radiator and cpu block (Koolance CPU-380) and my fittings (obviously replace my o-rings).

There is a SLIGHT green hue within the tubing perhaps algae...?

How to best clean the radiator and rid it from algae if there is any.

Its 2016 i done my research some say don't use vinegar while others are for it. While others say use peroxide or baking soda (brand: arm & hammers) yet others advise to use Listerine and distilled water. Is vinegar ok to use since it might have a negative effect on copper?

I also heard to use mayhems blitz pro but this is for new rads to flush them out properly and not for killing biological stuff correct?

Most important is to properly clean my rad what would i use and how to make the rad clean and bio free?

Thanks in advance

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,215 Posts
Mayhems Blitz is the most effective method, but is a little involved. I know many use Primochill Sysprep with good results, and it is a much simpler solution.

·
Banned
4,627 Posts
I just cleaned my cpu block a few days ago getting it ready for the naked ivy mount i bought. The "fuzz" i cleaned from the copper also had a green hue to it, my guess is its either from the biocide or from the copper in the rads. Nothing to worry about there its def not algae.

White vinegar between 5-10% mixed with water is the cheapest way to do it, it will kill 99.9% of bacteria.

Clean with a mix of vinegar water usually 1 part vinegar to 3-5 parts water.
Rinse with tap water flushing it at LOW pressure.
Then rinse with distilled or dionized water a few times till the water comes out clear.

The vinegar will also give the water a still blue/greenish hue.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Isopropyl alcohol. Preferably 99%. Fill rad with it, leave for a day or two. Flush (preferably with distilled not tap water). Problem solved. For very heavy contamination it may be required to do multiple runs or try vinegar (maybe tricky).

Note: use only for rads! Don't touch acrylic parts with alcohol or you'll burn them.

Isopropyl alcohol is 101% safe for cooper or brass.

·
Overclocker
681 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ypsylon View Post

Isopropyl alcohol. Preferably 99%. Fill rad with it, leave for a day or two. Flush (preferably with distilled not tap water). Problem solved. For very heavy contamination it may be required to do multiple runs or try vinegar (maybe tricky).

Note: use only for rads! Don't touch acrylic parts with alcohol or you'll burn them.

Isopropyl alcohol is 101% safe for cooper or brass.
iso alcohol will cause the black paint finish around the rad ports to peel away when left exposed to it for long periods of time. I prefer to not use it on rads because of this. This happened with my 2 original rads i purchased last year, an alphacool st30 and an ek xe. It also failed to do much at getting the ek rad clean. Gunked up all my blocks pretty fast because of this. Went back later with vinegar and was amazed at the crud that came out.

I find diluted vinegar and hot water to work best. Its much quicker and breaks up the crud quickly. No need to leave it in your rad for hours much less days. A 50/50 mix for an extremely dirty rad and shake for 5 mins will break up nearly all of the crud inside. A few successive 30/70 split hot water and vinegar flushes after for about the same time, then hot water until clean.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To all of you who posted and gave their advise all i can say is much appreciated i now have some options to go by in order to clean my rad properly and rid it of any algae buildup.

@Edge0fsanity maybe he meant to say that Isopropyl alcohol kills of all organism inside the rad this was my main concern to kill and clean the inside of possible algae (if that is possible since some would say that a slight green hue is due to copper deposit from the rad which is also on my reservoir a tiny spot on the "dry" place above the water but better safe then sorry).

As a side note,

Maybe use the Isopropyl alcohol first to kill algae if there is any then rinse a couple of times with distilled water and then use a mixture of vinegar and distilled water to clean it from gunk etc?

·
Overclocker
681 Posts
i think either will do the job of killing any organisms. I just don't like iso alcohol because of the affect it has on the finish around the ports of the rads. It literally feels like the paint gets melted at first then it dries and starts peeling and little pieces end up inside the rad and stuck to your fittings.

Edit: i also noticed you mentioned mayhems blitz, that would also do the job and would be safe and effective. Just depends if its worth the money to you or not.

What color green is it? Could you take a pic? Bright green is probably from copper. I've seen deposits like that in my cpu block and thought nothing of it. I believe more of a brownish green color could be algae.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge0fsanity View Post

i think either will do the job of killing any organisms. I just don't like iso alcohol because of the affect it has on the finish around the ports of the rads. It literally feels like the paint gets melted at first then it dries and starts peeling and little pieces end up inside the rad and stuck to your fittings.

Edit: i also noticed you mentioned mayhems blitz, that would also do the job and would be safe and effective. Just depends if its worth the money to you or not.

What color green is it? Could you take a pic? Bright green is probably from copper. I've seen deposits like that in my cpu block and thought nothing of it. I believe more of a brownish green color could be algae.
Hi il try to make a pic tomorrow hopefully its clear enough i use all black tubing except for one spot which is clear tubing it has a greenish hue to it the water inside the res is clear but there is some small deposit above the water which is greenish actually il open up my res and smell if i smell "bio" its algae for sure...

·
Registered
288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge0fsanity View Post

iso alcohol will cause the black paint finish around the rad ports to peel away when left exposed to it for long periods of time. I prefer to not use it on rads because of this. This happened with my 2 original rads i purchased last year, an alphacool st30 and an ek xe. It also failed to do much at getting the ek rad clean. Gunked up all my blocks pretty fast because of this. Went back later with vinegar and was amazed at the crud that came out.
Doing alcohol cleaning for a while and never experienced problem you describing. It's not like I submerge rads in alcohol. Just calmly fill-in, close in/out, clean exterior of chambers with tap water. Cleaned plethora of Alphacool rads the same way never encountered paint peeling away. Stripping paint where plug goes (or covers it) is least of my worries anyway.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts