Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been meaning to give my computer a good clean out for a few months, and I've only got around to having some free time just recently, my only problem is, what the heck do I use?

I've tried a compressed can of air, but it wasn't working at all. It didn't blow out with enough strength to even move a dust ball across my desk, so I'm guessing I just got a horrible unnamed brand.

I've searched all New Zealand websites I can, and can't find ANYTHING, so I've decided that my best bet is to look on and purchase something from amazon.com

Can anyone give me the best suggestion of compressed air from Amazon.com? Or another website that ships internationally.

I'll take some pics of my CPU fan in the morning so you guys can see how bad it is.

I HOPE this is the right section to post in, if not, I sincerely apologize.
All help is welcome and I'll love you to death no matter how helpful it is.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I use a little air-blower that is used to inflate blowup mattress's was some cheap $15 thing from Aldi, best thing ive found to clear away dust. It's loud on the ears tho.
So far no issues, i don't get it close to main components just good for fans.

·
Why is it smoking?
4,037 Posts
If you or someone in the house is a smoker, or if you have pets or a lot of dust, compressed air won't be enough. I tear the computers in my house down twice a year and scrub them out. Heatsinks and fans can be removed and washed in soapy water (remember to rinse and dry them thoroughly before reassembling). The case can be scrubbed as well. For cards and other electronic components, I wipe them off with a dry paintbrush.

My wife and I both smoke, and our house is underground so it is very dusty. Cleaning computers the way I do though, I have sold used parts to non-smokers who did not notice a stale tobacco smell, and my rig stays clean enough that I don't mind having a side panel window on it.

·
Man with Fans
7,746 Posts
Do not use a vacuum cleaner.
The best you could do would be to find a high-pressure air compressor and then use it to blow out the dirt from your case.

As for fans, clean the fan blades with tissue paper. Be careful not to press down too hard while cleaning or the blades might break/get unbalanced.

Heatsinks can be soaked in water, but I wouldn't recommend doing that with fans. Afterall, they run on electricity too, and can be dangerous to run a soaked fan, even after drying.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Volvo
View Post

Do not use a vacuum cleaner.
The best you could do would be to find a high-pressure air compressor and then use it to blow out the dirt from your case.

As for fans, clean the fan blades with tissue paper. Be careful not to press down too hard while cleaning or the blades might break/get unbalanced.

Heatsinks can be soaked in water, but I wouldn't recommend doing that with fans. Afterall, they run on electricity too, and can be dangerous to run a soaked fan, even after drying.

My heatsink has a fan built onto it, check my sig for the exact model.
How would I go about cleaning that?

·
Man with Fans
7,746 Posts
I believe the fan will be held on to the heatsink by three or four screws.
Carefully turn the blades till you can see them. I believe the screws are quite small.
Unless, I am wrong, and that the fan is built into the heatsink itself.
If that was the case then, you'd have quite a big problem. ><

·
Why is it smoking?
4,037 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DillanNZ
View Post

My heatsink has a fan built onto it, check my sig for the exact model.
How would I go about cleaning that?

I washed a Zalman 9500 with clean water a couple of times back in the day. If you dry it thoroughly, you don't have anything to worry about. However, if you are still worried or don't have time to wait on it to dry, you can use a small phillips head screwdriver to remove the fan. If you look closely, there are small screws bolting the fan to the cooler.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I personally use an air compressor. But take note, they're really loud when compressing, and even louder when spraying.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:

Originally Posted by reaper~
View Post

I use this. It works pretty good. The only thing is that it's loud.

I'll definately look into that, it looks incredible and beastly

I'll probably have to use a brush of sorts to losen the dust, I'll add a picture at the bottom of this post.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oo Alias oO
View Post

I use a paint brush, sounds random but dust just sticks to it.

Great idea
I'll most definately have to use something to losen the dust and a paint brush sounds like just the tool to do it.

Heres the pic, finally got time to take one.

·
Premium Member
6,908 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DillanNZ
View Post

I'll definately look into that, it looks incredible and beastly

I'll probably have to use a brush of sorts to losen the dust, I'll add a picture at the bottom of this post.

You won't need a brush to loosen anything. Trust me. This thing will blow your cooler clean and then some.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quote:

Originally Posted by reaper~
View Post

You won't need a brush to loosen anything. Trust me. This thing will blow your cooler clean and then some.

Sounds monster. Did you look at the pic I included? The dust seems pretty caked on. Regardless, which way should I use it on the heatsink/fan? I'm thinking from behind, so it blows out of it, instead of aiming the way the camera was, and flowing it deeper.
I just confused myself a little, but I hope that makes sense.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
i use a 1in paint brush and recharable vacum i clean board and fans with paint brush and then vacum crap out off case

1 - 20 of 20 Posts