Overclock.net banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have got a Logitech g9 for 6 years and it's works good but I have a problem with it's rubber coat because it's become sticky. I have the same problem with my qpad keyboard, keys aren't rubberized, but other parts are covered by rubber that's become sticky. Do you know a way to remove the rubber coat or at least the sticky part? And what can I use to safe cleaning rubberized mice and keyboards? I have always used antibacterial cleaner with microfiber wipes but someone says that isopropyl alcohol works better and doesn't ruin rubber.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I just use some distilled natural spray cleaner.....ecomoist or something. Personally I'd avoid alcohol. But I have used it in the past as a one off and its been totally fine. like 70% wipes/

·
- Insanity Beckons -
4,983 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirin96 View Post

I have got a Logitech g9 for 6 years and it's works good but I have a problem with it's rubber coat because it's become sticky. I have the same problem with my qpad keyboard, keys aren't rubberized, but other parts are covered by rubber that's become sticky. Do you know a way to remove the rubber coat or at least the sticky part?
When it becomes "STICKY" then it's reached it's "End-Of-Life" mainly due to the coating going foul and can never be resurrected to it's previous touch standard. Have lots of older mice with those coatings and plastic simply going sticky and unusable. It's like trying to hold a dried piece of ice-cream on a hard surface, extremely uncomfortable and your hand still has the residue.

Best to move on because trying to remove that sticky coating is a waste of time, unless you want to re-paint it with something else.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I had my coating rubbing off on an old trust mouse I temporarily use at work. In my case I could just rub it off with a damp cloth and some effort and what was left in my case was a smooth black plastic surface, not ideal but most certainly usable.

I would at least try it if your alternative is not using the mouse as it may very well result in mouse that is perfectly fine in use. Be it without a rubber coating.

I will admit that trust probably used a lot worse a coating on the mouse so there is that.

·
Guitar + Amp = Happiness
3,708 Posts
I know exactly what you mean, its really difficult to clean and nothing really works. Alcohol seems to remove it almost. The coating eventually just rubs off which isn't ideal but its better than sticky...

·
Registered
906 Posts
If you want a matte coating, Krylon Fusion paint works well, is tough since it fuses with the plastic, and is really easy to use, and doesn't need any primer or anything. I sprayed a whole monitor case black with it once and it looked like it just had black plastic from the factory. = http://www.patrolbase.co.uk/krylon-spray-paint/KrylonBlackSprayPaint#.WW48iYjyvAQ

To remove the rubber coating... you might be able to use something like Nitromors, its a paint remover (and a very fast one too). Best to test it on another mouse you don't care about first, just to make sure it doesn't react with plastic. I'm pretty sure I used it once to remove paint of a microsoft mouse I painted and it was fine, just have to clean it well before you paint it again. = https://www.tool-net.co.uk/p-384642/nitromors-1390044.html

·
Registered
519 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bst View Post

If you want a matte coating, Krylon Fusion paint works well, is tough since it fuses with the plastic, and is really easy to use, and doesn't need any primer or anything. I sprayed a whole monitor case black with it once and it looked like it just had black plastic from the factory.
How long ago was that? How does it react to fingers, etc.? That paint is sold pretty cheap.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by granitov View Post

How long ago was that? How does it react to fingers, etc.? That paint is sold pretty cheap.
A long time ago, like 8 years. The paint never flaked off, handled heat well (was a CRT). I don't know how it reacts to fingers, but from what I've seen its a hard wearing paint. It looks good too, because its not like other paints which "orange peel" easily. I think its mostly used for spraying airsoft guns.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.