Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all.

So I have been, for the past year, running my XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 into the ground. The poor thing is still chugging along wonderfully, keeping my X3 at a cozy temp, but I have only cleaned it once---a LONG time ago.

Does anyone have a good method to clean this behemoth? I mean, it's already a pain to have to yank it off the cpu, clean off the paste, and reapply...but trying to take off the 120mm Fan is straight dangerous! The rubber attachments are wonderful at keeping the fan tight, but they definitely make you hate life if you try to take it off.

Any suggestions? Expertise? Bloody-hands-on Experience?

Thanks!

266584.jpg

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
If the temps are still alright, I'd just take a can of air and give it a good "once over" to make sure nothing is blocked up.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
An actual air-compressor would give you alot more power to knock loose the really stubborn bits of crud. But be careful if you use one, combined with a common air nozzle, you can blow (break) small components right off your MoBo.

A small vaccum attachment may help as well. If I dont feel like tearing everything apart, I'll use a vaccum to get the biggest stuff and then blow out the remaining bits.

·
Banned
10,292 Posts
yeah the fins are a pain to get clean. just use an air compressor or air can and then go over it with a swiffer duster if you have one

·
Registered
266 Posts
I just cleaned mine and you will need some higher air pressure than the regular canned stuff. I would suggest taking it off the mobo and doing it. I clean my PC on a regular basis but there is and will be some build up that a can simply cannot remove. I turned the AP up to 60 psi, off the mobo of course and just sprayed all through the cooler. It looked near new afterward. If you don't have an aircompressor then try some gas stations that just have the air attachment installed, a little ghetto of you, but it works the same.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sweet. Thanks for all the input guys.

Ya I usually throw some compressed can-air on it, but its result doesn't really amount to anything.
Quote:
If I dont feel like tearing everything apart, I'll use a vaccum to get the biggest stuff and then blow out the remaining bits.
A vacuum sounds like an efficient way to do things...like while you are blowing the dust off the hardware, to suck it all up. I definitely find that when I air-compress the case and items, the dust just settles in corners of the case. I need a vacuum apparently.

The air compressor idea seems a sound concept...stronger air pressure = pwned stubborn dust. But having an air compressor is another thing entirely. = P
Quote:
If you don't have an aircompressor then try some gas stations that just have the air attachment installed, a little ghetto of you, but it works the same.
Hah such a great idea. I like the idea of seeing some guy cleaning his computer components at a dirty corner gas-station. So legit.

·
Premium Member
4,775 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3d T34rz;12052407
I just cleaned mine and you will need some higher air pressure than the regular canned stuff. I would suggest taking it off the mobo and doing it. I clean my PC on a regular basis but there is and will be some build up that a can simply cannot remove. I turned the AP up to 60 psi, off the mobo of course and just sprayed all through the cooler. It looked near new afterward. If you don't have an aircompressor then try some gas stations that just have the air attachment installed, a little ghetto of you, but it works the same.
+1 I'm about to go do this now haha

·
Old to Overclock.net
3,399 Posts
I only use canned air to clean out my PC. About once a week or so. I have my Xiggy in a push/pull setup with a tape mod along the sides of the cooler to direct the airflow through the fins. It helps lower temps a lot more but does attract more dirt. My temps have been the same ever since I installed it 2 some years ago. Works fantastically.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts