Overclock.net banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

What does everyone use to clean vaseline off their board these days?

· Registered
1,428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by one80 View Post

Hi

What does everyone use to clean vaseline off their board these days?
You will probably never get it completely off, unless you got alot of patience - I usually start by removing most of it with simple paper towel, be careful not to smear it all over. This is of course not for the socket, but around it.

Next, use some eraser - if you have it - and use it to absorb the vaseline.

Last part might sound weird, but it works - Throw the motherboard in the dishwasher, do not add soap, and let it run a program or even two. Then let the motherboard dry for as long as needed - I know a few that put it in the oven at LOW TEMPERATURE just to melt the very last vaseline into an ultra thin layer.

· Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow - in the dishwasher eh? That seems full on:)

I reckon I'll try the removing as much as I can with paper towels etc and keep the dishwasher up my sleeve as a last resort.

Thanks guys

· Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I guess this begs the question - how critical is it to remove? If there's some residue left can it cause any issues down the track?

· Registered
1,428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by one80 View Post

I guess this begs the question - how critical is it to remove? If there's some residue left can it cause any issues down the track?
No, I had vaseline on a motherboard for years and it still functions (I use it to test DDR2 etc. with) - Only reason I ever had to remove insulation was because I was selling old hardware and the buyer most likely did not want to receive a motherboard that looked like an accident, lol.

· Registered
1,663 Posts
I just run it thru the dishwasher, no soap. Done. Let it dry in a bag with rice for a few days.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.