Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
are the acrylic cases really made of acrylic or are they made of somethin else more durable. and does anybody know of a good place to buy acrylic or lexan or somethin for building a computer case?

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mental
are the acrylic cases really made of acrylic or are they made of somethin else more durable. and does anybody know of a good place to buy acrylic or lexan or somethin for building a computer case?
Yes they are made of real acrylic. A good place to buy it is www.mcmastercarr.com. However, acrylic can be tricky to cut, it can splinter easily, so I would suggest using a bansaw.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pauldovi
That really cool, I never thought of making my own case! I make try that.
Most of the time the clear acrylic cases you buy are laser cut. If you want to do it yourself you can do a good job with a ban saw. It is almost impossible to get a nice clean cut through acrylic with a handsaw. A dremmel cutting bit bit might work but that would take forever. If you build it yourself it will most likely be cheaper unless you mess up a few pieces of acrylic, lol. I would suggest making mounting brackets and using screws to hold the case together, rather than trying an adheasive. Good luck

·
Premium Member
5,809 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,809 Posts
for what ever saw u are using,make sure it has a high tooth number,,,ormore bladeson it so u do not splinter or chip the plastic... good luck

·
Registered
106 Posts
buy lexan, its stronger and does not splinter as easly. Either bandsaw or jigsaw it with a metal blade. Use screws or you can use silicone, silicone drys clear and is pretty strong.

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
Remember that it won't shield your parts or you from electromagnetic radiation and also that your temps will increase. Those are designed for showcasing parts in stores more than actual daily use. They aren't EMC compliant.

·
Premium Member
5,809 Posts
But for a pc case...i think acrylic would be sufficient...its gonna be sitting on the floor or desk after built, so do you need to spend the extra $ on stronger materials... no. Not unless u plan on thrownig it down the stairs....lol

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pbasil1

But for a pc case...i think acrylic would be sufficient...its gonna be sitting on the floor or desk after built, so do you need to spend the extra $ on stronger materials... no. Not unless u plan on thrownig it down the stairs....lol

I built a bunch of acrylic sound proofed boxes for work to house some testing machines. Acrylic is definetly as strong and durable you need for a comp case. One thing is that sound can pass through pretty easily, and your system noise may increase a little. One more suggestion, don't remove the blue sticky backing until your case is completely assembled, it will scratch easily.

·
Registered
105 Posts
lol im thinking of making an acrylic case too but im not sure where to buy it in australia, melbourne

and can we use a hot glue gun to put the pieces together? and for the side panels ill probably use those plastic hinges

1 - 14 of 14 Posts