Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My netbook hard drive is starting to make some clicking noises. From my understanding, this is a sign that the hard drive is near death. It's odd, as it's a new Seagate drive and I ordered it a day over a month ago.

It hasn't kicked the bucket yet, and when it clicks I can still use it (I do a hard restart anyway though). I can't see how this would have happened though, as I'm very careful not to drop my netbook and the only time it has fallen is onto my carpet from inside the carrying case I have for it, and that was yesterday, and that was after it started clicking.

I need options. I should have enough money to buy a replacement drive AGAIN for my netbook, but I'd rather hold onto that for a mini PCI-e SSD for it instead.

It was this hard drive specifically.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822148371

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
Immediately back up the data to an external drive.
Run HDTune or DFT and see how your drive is actually doing. The "click of death" doesn't always mean immediate death. You will have deterioration and degraded performance, but not necessarily immediate loss of data.

I would say, once you back up everything, RMA the drive and see if you can get a new one. As long as you're in the 3 year warranty, you should be fine.

Side note: Which PCI-e SSD were you looking at?

Edit: Rabblaragfjslnf. Ninja'd.

·
Premium Member
6,174 Posts
Is it a loud, incessant *click click click*, or more of a subtle *click*?

FWIW, my Gateway laptop has a hard drive that has quiet clicks every now and then, but it seems that it's just the needle waking up after being idle, because it's still going strong 3-4 years later.

·
Premium Member
3,259 Posts
Send back that drive to Seagate for RMA. Since you are still capable of accessing it you might want to start backing up data and erasing it. Don't wait till it fails completely. You could get yourself a low GB drive to hold over until the Seagate drive returns from RMA.

·
Man with Fans
7,746 Posts
Get EVEREST and read the SMART data on that drive.
Should tell you what's going on.

If you have uncorrectable errors, reallocated sectors and the like, backup, get it out and cart it off to RMA.

Owners of ASUS laptops should probably be worried by now - this is the drive that is included by default in a large number of ASUS laptops.

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm looking at getting this SSD in particular.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820227438
64GBs should be more then enough for an OS and core programs with a regular hard drive used for storage of videos and such.

Anyway, I'll run some tests on it. Thankfully, I don't really have anything I need to back up as most of the stuff on there is just stuff I can reinstall or had been copied from my external hard drive already.

Also, it's a constant "click click click" sound that doesn't stop until I do a hard shut down.

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sadly, Everest and HD Tune both showed my hard drive as being alright. I'm running an error check with HD Tune right now. It's odd, but I know it clicks off and on. Maybe they'll show the drive as "REPLACE NOW!!!" while it's clicking rather then when it's not.

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Error checking finished, and everything checks out. When my drive isn't clicking, it's like nothing ever happened. I have no clue what's going on.

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So does anyone have any ideas on what's going on with the hard drive?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts