Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this should be in the other audio section
but anyway.

I'm after some new closed, full sized (circumaural) headphones purely for listening to music from my xonar stx - I've been 'out of the loop' for a while now tbh, and I don't really know what's hot/not. I've had to use some closed back bose headphones for the past few months which don't reproduce mids and highs too well for my liking, but I'm only looking to spend around ~$200.

Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
"Closed headphones", Beyerdynamic DT 770 80-Ohm.
P.S. the avatar picture, that is really me back in 1985 (Lets do the Timewarp again).

·
Registered
451 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by BlahBlahBlah
View Post

Audio Techinca ATH-M50 would be my recommendation for closed phones..even under budget

I second this, I own them and they are phenomenal. I have compared these to the Beyer's and it's a close comparison, to my basic knowledge if you want more bass (in some songs) overbearing, get the Beyer's, but if you want a good balance go with the M50s.

·
Premium Member
8,417 Posts
What kind of music do you listen to? Why do you want closed headphones rather than open? Do you take kindly to used/refurbished items?

People really need to start adding this kind of information when asking for headphone recommendations.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Simca
View Post

What kind of music do you listen to? Why do you want closed headphones rather than open? Do you take kindly to used/refurbished items?

People really need to start adding this kind of information when asking for headphone recommendations.

I already have a few pairs of open headphones - I use my 595s for most things, but open phones are pretty loud from the outside, and that doesn't suit my current situation

I think saying "I listen to anything and everything" is a bit of an overused cliché these days, but I really do listen to a bit of everything...I suppose I'm enjoying instrumental guitar pieces more than anything at the moment, but it varies from metal to jazz.

And I'd prefer not to buy used - I know they'll be nicely broken in but...I'd prefer new

·
Premium Member
18,611 Posts
What's your budget in quid?

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Originally Posted by 98uk
View Post

What's your budget in quid?

around £140

·
Premium Member
10,655 Posts
Is there a reason you need them to be closed? For the money you have lots of great choices that are open or semi-open.
Senn HD595
Senn HD598
Grado SR225
AKG K701
Beyer DT880 (may be a bit more)
The list could go on...

·
Premium Member
8,417 Posts
Grado SR225i's are exactly what he needs if he's into guitar/rock/metal. Only problem is they leak. Closed headphones will not do you justice, amigo.

If you simply must have closed headphones Audio Technica A900s are a good choice. I'm not sure the isolation you're wanting from them will be had with them though.

Do not recommend closed headphones for your needs. Would rather go IEMs and Klipsch Image S4's or Head-Direct RE-0's are really good. (RE-0s don't quite have the bass though, which may or may not be a problem for you).

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Quote:

View Post

^^ This. We need to know your listening habits so that we can recommend a phone that suits your tastes.

At this point, I am going to recommend the Beyerdynamic DT770. For $200, there are many better options other than the M-50's. The DT770's a phone with good, not overwhelming bass, for the price point.

I also agree with Simca on the Grado's. If you are into guitar, they are the only way to go.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the replies
a lot of people seem to like the M50s so i'll take a look at those.

Regarding open headphones again - I have a pair of 595s that I use normally, and I love them, but I want some closed ones for when I have to be a little quieter

They don't have to be noise isolating or anything like that, just not massively leaky.

·
Premium Member
8,417 Posts
Rock is not a genre the M50s excel in. I would agree with Moltar that your money would more wisely be spent on DT770s, only problem is they really would benefit from an amp.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Rock is not a genre the M50s excel in. I would agree with Moltar that your money would more wisely be spent on DT770s, only problem is they really would benefit from an amp.

To be honest, the M-50's are an extreme entry level audiophile can. Anyone that recommends them, when the OP has a $200 budget, is doing so out of ignorance since they are the only phones they have heard.

To me, the M-50's bass is a bit muddy and overwhelming at times. The DT700's might not blow your hair back with bass response, but they will be more accurate in the sound scape.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:

View Post

Yeah at 250 ohms they would be sucking my card dry

edit: @Moltar - yeah, I'm trying to avoid bass heavy headphones (which I know is typically attributable to closed back)

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by fluxlite
View Post

Yeah at 250 ohms they would be sucking my card dry

There is a 32 Ohm version that your sound card would be able to drive on its own. I have not heard the 80 Ohm Pro variant. Someone else will have to chime in on opinions with that can.

DT770 32 Ohm DT770 32 Ohm

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I really like the sound from my Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80-Ohm headphones, has the "full" bass and matches all the other quality of my AD700s.
If you want to save some money get some used Audio Technica ATH-A700s, Amazon sells them used (broken in).

·
Read Only
10,321 Posts
...stretch your budget, get the Denon AH-D2000, and get it over with.

Edit: ...or get the Beyerdynamic DT770 (32ohm or 600ohm. Your choice. Ohm is resistance. Usually, the higher the ohm, the more bass it gives off due to the easy ability to give off low pitches due to the resistance. That's just a guess. I've never really studied ohms).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts