Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys

I am in the process of writing a desktop application in QT that will upload form data to a database. This database will only be updated with around 20 row's of data per day and viewed fairly rarely so not a particularly large database. I was wondering for such a requirement what would be the best server solution. A cloud solution like Amazon, Azure or Google cloud? or do you think the best route would be with a traditional VPS running on the likes of heart internet.

Either solution will work for my project but finding the best price possible will be a benefit. Any input guys?

·
god loves ugly
4,212 Posts
In many ways they're basically the same thing. "Cloud" is a slightly more modern VPS with things like live migration being possible because of the underlying technology being used. Pricing is also one of the more significant differences. Cloud things are usually billed by the hour (but can be reserved for specific periods with folks like Amazon), while VPS providers typically bill on a monthly basis.

In the end it probably doesn't matter, but I'd go with a reputable provider either way. I'd treat both options as effectively equal and compare providers specifically on the features they offer and pricing.

If all you need is hosting for a super low-traffic database, a shared hosting provider who manages the infrastructure/application stack for you may be preferred. The pricing for it would also be far better.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Would the cost of a cloud be smaller since the database is very low use or is there always a minimum cost. I noticed that rack space had a minimum cost of £35 / month so it would likely be beneficial to go with VPS in that case. I've been trying to find out about the others in terms of minimum cost but couldn't find much, anybody know about this?

·
13,090 Posts
If you have set up a Ubuntu server before, I could recommend Linode, they offer some pretty cheap options, one of which I use for the Folding Stats site for our folding team here on OCN.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by axipher View Post

If you have set up a Ubuntu server before, I could recommend Linode, they offer some pretty cheap options, one of which I use for the Folding Stats site for our folding team here on OCN.
Do Linode have a monthly minimum? because my data transfer will be so low it would be good to find a service that doesn't have this monthly minimum. It's also a UK cloud I'm looking for. Not sure if that company has UK based servers.

·
13,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottish_jason View Post

Quote:

Do Linode have a monthly minimum? because my data transfer will be so low it would be good to find a service that doesn't have this monthly minimum. It's also a UK cloud I'm looking for. Not sure if that company has UK based servers.
Monthly minimum what exactly? You just pay for a dedicated VM that you install your OS on and do what you want with it, only a bandwidth maximum for transfers over the internet.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Monthly minimum what exactly? You just pay for a dedicated VM that you install your OS on and do what you want with it, only a bandwidth maximum for transfers over the internet.
well when I was looking up rack space it said that there was a £35 minimum per month charge which would mean VPS would be a cheaper option for my low bandwidth application. I think you had to use that amount of bandwidth or something along those lines from what I read.I assume the other providers don't have any sort of minimum bandwidth use?

·
13,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottish_jason View Post

Quote:

well when I was looking up rack space it said that there was a £35 minimum per month charge which would mean VPS would be a cheaper option for my low bandwidth application. I think you had to use that amount of bandwidth or something along those lines from what I read.I assume the other providers don't have any sort of minimum bandwidth use?
That might be £35 minimum as a base cost then depending how much extra bandwidth you use, you start paying extra.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts