Overclock.net banner

Cloudy Reservoirs, How do I clean it?

7K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  almighty15 
#1 ·
So, I just got my Tribal Overkill 8-port res in the mail.
It's cloudy though.
How the heck does one restore a beautiful reservoir back to it's original luster?

#4 ·
Its dirty from hard water stains. This is what you do as i have done. Find you a heavy duty spray solution for cleaning windows that mentions on the front of the bottle that it leaves no streaks. Pour some of that solution in there & get tha shaking baby. This will only remove the cloud in the res in certain places & wont totally remove the cloud in general. Thats ok because what it also would have done is loosed the cloud glued to the inside of your res & will help set up the kill of the cloud in our next step

Last but not least, get you a metal clothes hanger. bend the clothes hanger out until it straight. Attach a small amount of bounty heavy duty paper towel to the end of the hanger because that paper towel wont break up easy like toilet tissue. But a small amount of Tape at the bottom part of where u raped the paper towel to the end of the wire hanger on. Also make sure you only attach a small amount of paper towel to the end of the hanger so that u can ensure you'll be able to get it inside the hole where the barb goes which you removed. After finishing shaking the liquid solution inside the res for some time pour all of it out the res expect a small amount. Stick that hanger in there with the piece of heavy duty paper towel attached to, push down on the metal hanger while its in there forcing the tip of the hanger with the towel to push up hard against the res & start rotating the res wiping & cleaning off the cloud leaving a complete clean shine just like the day it was built.

I did this with the REs i used on my project bio shock. The Res had nasty crap all inside it. When u look at the way my res was made you'll know i had no other choice but this.

Good Luck & keep us updated : )

#6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jago-Vs-Fulgore
View Post

Its dirty from hard water stains. This is what you do as i have done. Find you a heavy duty spray solution for cleaning windows that mentions on the front of the bottle that it leaves no streaks. Pour some of that solution in there & get tha shaking baby. This will only remove the cloud in the res in certain places & wont totally remove the cloud in general. Thats ok because what it also would have done is loosed the cloud glued to the inside of your res & will help set up the kill of the cloud in our next step

Last but not least, get you a metal clothes hanger. bend the clothes hanger out until it straight. Attach a small amount of bounty heavy duty paper towel to the end of the hanger because that paper towel wont break up easy like toilet tissue. But a small amount of Tape at the bottom part of where u raped the paper towel to the end of the wire hanger on. Also make sure you only attach a small amount of paper towel to the end of the hanger so that u can ensure you'll be able to get it inside the hole where the barb goes which you removed. After finishing shaking the liquid solution inside the res for some time pour all of it out the res expect a small amount. Stick that hanger in there with the piece of heavy duty paper towel attached to, push down on the metal hanger while its in there forcing the tip of the hanger with the towel to push up hard against the res & start rotating the res wiping & cleaning off the cloud leaving a complete clean shine just like the day it was built.

I did this with the REs i used on my project bio shock. The Res had nasty crap all inside it. When u look at the way my res was made you'll know i had no other choice but this.

Good Luck & keep us updated : )

sorry.. had to point this out

#7 ·
Put some powdered laundry detergent and hot water in there and shake it around (remember to close off the inlet/outlet holes). My previous reservoir looked a lot worse than that, so my method should work pretty well on your reservoir.

Before:

After:

• Rep+
Reactions: ira-k
#11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackHoleSun
View Post

Acetone (nail polish remover) might also be able to get it all off, but I think the laundry detergent method might work better and be cheaper. Plus it won't smell as bad as with Acetone.

Acetone eats plastic,so does nail polish remover,go with the soap

#12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by AMOCO View Post
Acetone eats plastic,so does nail polish remover,go with the soap
That's what I was thinking.
I've got some wicked solvents at work here and they eat plexi and lexan pretty easily.

I'll try with the soap and go from there.
And worry not, I'll take pics.

If all goes well, I could do a write-up so people can find the answer a bit easier.

#15 ·
Uhh, I have no idea what strength Acetone you are using, but general OTC acetone won't eat away at plastic. I work with Acetone everyday and it does not eat away at the Plastic containers we keep it in.

If you are afraid of Acetone ripping through it, Methanol might be able to work.

#16 ·
I have been cleaning the internals of 2 film projectors for the last week and a half, and I can attest to the eating away of plastic. Typically, Acetone is sold and stored in metal containers for this very reason..

I would definately stay away from using acetone to clean a res..

#18 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by almighty15
View Post

I had crap in my pump top reservoir, I left Coke-a-Cola in the res over night, worked like a charm

Why waste perfectly fine Coke which is sugary(sticky) when you could use simple soap and water?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.