Overclock.net banner

Club for those with beastly mATX/ITX rigs.

2295586 Views 13317 Replies 1268 Participants Last post by  ilmazzo
This thread is for a congregation of members that pack high-end hardware into tiny mATX or Mini-ITX cases without compromise. The emphasis is on small cases. Feel free to post pictures or just discuss SFF cases in general.

9/2012 Update:
Many, many pages of bickering have arisen due to my flexible definition of "beastly" and "SFF".

In general, a beastly system needs to have discrete graphics and a quad core processor. Watercooling, custom cases, or in-depth case mods all help as well. Micro-Atx or smaller boards, and no cases with more than 4 expansion slots regardless of the board inside.

However, this thread has grown into a much larger discussion about SFF, and has grown beyond these original guidelines. As such, any mATX or smaller system is fair game, including the Prodigy. Hating the Prodigy is fine, but doing so in this thread is not.

3/2015 Update:

Since everyone loves to quote me, and treat what I say like commandments, here's a list of points making it clear:
  1. I'm not going to define a list of acceptable cases, or volume/size criteria. This just creates more drama and bickering.
  2. Content here is posted by the community. I do not have control over what happens, I'm just a poster like all of you.
  3. Users need to recognize that we all have specific tastes, and not everything will line up with what we want to see.
  4. No one person here decides what belongs and does not belong. Not even me. We do that together as a community.
  5. Posters should be mindful of the SFF passion we all share. It's very possible your build may not click with us. Don't get offended.
  6. If you don't like something, it can be safely ignored. If you're going to say something, perhaps refer them to a more fitting club.
  7. Toxic comments, or calling anyone out gets referred to the mods. Healthy and passionate discussion is always welcome.
Now, for a handful of "technical suggestions"
  1. The club has evolved into a primarily Mini-ITX focus. Consider mITX boards in mITX cases the standard of what we look for.
  2. We exist to demonstrate legitimate high-end gaming hardware can fit in small spaces. This is not the place for your low-power HTPC or Raspberry Pi.
  3. If you're going to post a Micro-ATX board, it needs to have two or more video cards. Period. If you have just one GPU on mATX, this is not your thread.
  4. Any "borderline" large cases had better be special. Full watercooling, a scratch built case, clever use of PCIe risers etc. is to be expected.
I love how passionate we all are. I really do. It makes this thread with thousands of posts feel like a tight-knit community. (and indeed we are). Best I can tell, this is the most popular thread in the entire "Specialty Builds" section by a long shot. We have come a long way in these 6 years. You, the community, have made it what it is. That's not to be taken lightly. Let's keep it up!
13301 - 13318 of 13318 Posts

· Registered
1,596 Posts
This is ATX but small enough to count as SFF :thumb:

[SNIP]

Love the Cerberus! Tasty clean build!

Wish shipping to AUS wasn’t hundreds of dollars haha.

Also, might be relevant to your build but your AIO pump is going to be working VERY hard with that configuration. I’d suspect it to decrease the lifespan of the pump potentially. Have you tried to mounting it on the side or does your PSU conflict?

EDIT: How did you get two fans up top? That’s awesome.

· Vault Dweller
42 Posts
Love the Cerberus! Tasty clean build!

Wish shipping to AUS wasn’t hundreds of dollars haha.

Also, might be relevant to your build but your AIO pump is going to be working VERY hard with that configuration. I’d suspect it to decrease the lifespan of the pump potentially. Have you tried to mounting it on the side or does your PSU conflict?

EDIT: How did you get two fans up top? That’s awesome.
Thx! The H100 will probably go out if my tests with NH-C14S are positive. With AIO in the bottom (PSU doesnt allow to mount the rad in the side bracket) CPU temps are great, but GPU temps could be a lot better.

Top fans are low profile Noctuas (15mm), no problem to fit them there with the "Mount braket" top.

· Registered
268 Posts
- Shuttle SK43G Chassis
- Shuttle FX41 Motherboard (from a SK41G, since it has Universal AGP)
- AMD Athlon XP 3000+
- 1GB Corsair XMS Platinum DDR400
- 3DFX Voodoo 5 5500 AGP
- Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
- 250GB Maxtor IDE 7200rpm HDD
- Creative DXR2 5x DVD-ROM
- Gotek Floppy Emulator
- Seasonic 300w Flex-ATX Power Supply
- Dual booting Windows 98SE and Windows XP SP3

· Overclocker
11,665 Posts
- Shuttle SK43G Chassis
- Shuttle FX41 Motherboard (from a SK41G, since it has Universal AGP)
- AMD Athlon XP 3000+
- 1GB Corsair XMS Platinum DDR400
- 3DFX Voodoo 5 5500 AGP
- Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
- 250GB Maxtor IDE 7200rpm HDD
- Creative DXR2 5x DVD-ROM
- Gotek Floppy Emulator
- Seasonic 300w Flex-ATX Power Supply
- Dual booting Windows 98SE and Windows XP SP3
But can it run Crysis?

Very nice!, always wanted a shuttle back in the day.
Me too, so I can fly the hell outta here.

· More Cores!
1,304 Posts

· Registered
52 Posts
About 10 years ago, I posted my first PC here that had an Intel Core i5-750 and Radeon HD 5850 enclosed in a LIAN LI PC-7FNW. Today I finally finished my first small form factor system!

Case: Louqe Ghost S1
Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming-ITX/ac
CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L12S
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super
RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB
Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB / HP EX950 M.2 2TB
PSU: CORSAIR SF750

Attachments

· Dogs! They're good!
10,330 Posts
Nice. Remember to set stricter power limiting on the 9900k, mine thermal throttled at stock under an NH-L12 with 2 fans.

· Registered
52 Posts
Nice. Remember to set stricter power limiting on the 9900k, mine thermal throttled at stock under an NH-L12 with 2 fans.
This chip does get really hot especially with P95 using small FFT! I did some initial stress testing and benchmarking and got the following temperatures:

Realbench (30 mins): High 70s to low 80s
Blender (15 mins): High 70s to low 80s
Cinebench r20 (15 mins): Mid 70s to high 70s
P95 small FFT: Low 90s with 95°C peak. Manual stop after 6 mins

Overclocking settings:

Offset voltage: -40 mV
LLC: Level 4
AVX offset: 2
AVX load: 4.5 Ghz - vCore ~ 1.12V
Non-AVX load: 4.7 Ghz - vCore ~ 1.15V

· Abides
158 Posts
Nice and clean. Those distro blocks are wicked. Are those commercial or custom?

· Registered
934 Posts
My first SFF build!

Attachments

· Newb to Overclock.net
5,173 Posts
holy necro the devil

• Haha
Reactions: thx1138

· Registered
843 Posts
My 5800x / 2080ti living room gaming PC.

Attachments

• Rep+
Reactions: cssorkinman

· Registered
1,633 Posts
  • Shuttle SK43G Chassis
  • Shuttle FX41 Motherboard (from a SK41G, since it has Universal AGP)
  • AMD Athlon XP 3000+
  • 1GB Corsair XMS Platinum DDR400
  • 3DFX Voodoo 5 5500 AGP
  • Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
  • 250GB Maxtor IDE 7200rpm HDD
  • Creative DXR2 5x DVD-ROM
  • Gotek Floppy Emulator
  • Seasonic 300w Flex-ATX Power Supply
  • Dual booting Windows 98SE and Windows XP SP3
omg epic!!!

Incidentally I'm planning and just started a similar build around my v5 5500 agp.... just testing a kt3 ultra 2 and a barton 2800+....... the dual boot thing gave me an idea! It will be rocked into a matx full alu case from coolermaster from the era so hope it will be cool and ... cool! :D cheers

13301 - 13318 of 13318 Posts