Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy,

Thought I would give this build log thing a go. It is not going to be a big fancy build. Just plain and simple.

I was given a Cooler Master 690 III mid tower case to sample from the very nice people at Cooler Master.

More photos and info can be found HERE

I am going for a black and green colour theme. Well highlights of green.

Here is a list of things I am putting in it;

Qty. Product Total
1 Alphacool Repack Dual DC-LT 5.25 Single Bay V1 Without Pump
1 Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3
2 Alphacool NexXxoS ST30 Full Copper 240mm
1 Alphacool Screw Kit Cool Cover Black
1 AMD FX-8350 8 Core Black Edition Processor
1 Alphacool NexXxoS XP3 Light - Black Chrome Edition
2 Alphacool DC-LT Ceramic 12V DC Pump - Bulk Version
1 XSPC FLX Tubing Clear UV 3/8ID 5/8OD 2m
6 Arctic Cooling 120mm F12 PWM Fan
1 EVGA GeForce GTX 770 Superclocked ACX 2GB
1 Alphacool NexXxoS NVXP Nvidia GTX 770 Black/Silver
1 Alphacool NexXxoS NVXP Nvidia Backplate GTX 770 Black
1 Cooler Master GX750w PSU

I will be using Mayhems X1 UV Emerald Green concentrate. Which I am led to believe is a colour that was a mistake. But still looks awesome IMO.

·
Registered
530 Posts
subbed.

I'm doing a rebuild/mod project of my 690 NVidia Edition case right now with Black Matte base and Green accents. Nothing crazy just adding some sheet metal, paint, acrylic, and new parts.

·
back at it
4,765 Posts
subbed because i wonder what can be done!
i loved my 690 II
rolleyes.gif

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Cool, I'm in on this! Must start my 690 III build log soon too as my parts have started arriving
biggrin.gif

Also, **** yeah for black and green.
thumb.gif

EDIT: Oh, no swearing on here lol. My bad.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I have been in trouble for swearing before on here.

Yet on OCAU the rules are far more relaxed.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

^^^^ Just a show off pic of things
biggrin.gif

^^^^ Using the UD3 so I can choose to go SLi if I feel like it down the track. Plus it is rev 4.0 so it will support the 9 series FX chips.

^^^^ The Alphacool block, which is pretty weighty for its size. Rated as one of the better performers.

^^^^^ The pumps and res. They are very very small. I am hoping the can cope with two blocks and rads
redface.gif

^^^^ One of the sexiest looking GPU's. IMO Pitty this will never breath air
Snorkle.gif

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
Do you have a 690 II as well? If so can you do me a favor?

With the ST30 mounted in the top (between case and mesh) is there anyway for the tubing to go straight back down into the case? Or will holes have to be drilled?

I'm thinking about removing the top mesh and putting the rad up there but I don't want to run tubing out the back of the case, would rather it just go straight down into the case.
thinking.gif

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I do have a 690 II as well. Tonight I can take some photos etc to help you.

I personally don't like the look of tubing going external either.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger_nuts View Post

^^^^ Just a show off pic of things
biggrin.gif

^^^^ Using the UD3 so I can choose to go SLi if I feel like it down the track. Plus it is rev 4.0 so it will support the 9 series FX chips.

^^^^ The Alphacool block, which is pretty weighty for its size. Rated as one of the better performers.

^^^^^ The pumps and res. They are very very small. I am hoping the can cope with two blocks and rads
redface.gif

^^^^ One of the sexiest looking GPU's. IMO Pitty this will never breath air
Snorkle.gif

it looks like Alphacool have finally supplied the correct 'O' Rings and screws for the res and pumps
thumb.gif

·
Tech Enthusiast
12,388 Posts
Definitely looking forward to this... love my 690 II

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3TAl View Post

Do you have a 690 II as well? If so can you do me a favor?

With the ST30 mounted in the top (between case and mesh) is there anyway for the tubing to go straight back down into the case? Or will holes have to be drilled?

I'm thinking about removing the top mesh and putting the rad up there but I don't want to run tubing out the back of the case, would rather it just go straight down into the case.
thinking.gif
As you asked;

And as you can see, you need to cut (remove) some case to be able to use it up top. This was at the rear of the case, which I have a feeling tubing could be a problem if you are using a rear fan, may not be, but it would be tight. IMO if you can I would rotate the rad and have the tubing at the front of the case.

Whilst I was doing this I thought why not check clearances with the 690 III

I could easily go the Alphacool NexXxoS XT45. Which makes me wonder
thinking.gif
Is it worth buying two just for this build. But then I would have to find a use for these rads
biggrin.gif

What do you OCN members think?

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
Thanks for that pic. So with the rad up top rotated to the front the tubing will fit?

Are you going for quiet or pure performance? The XT45 is better at ~1200+ RPM while the ST30 wins under ~1200 RPM. The XT45 also has about half the restriction of the ST30 according to Martin's Liquid Lab.

At 1 GPM the ST30 has 0.48 PSI drop while the XT45 has 0.23 PSI drop (these values are for the 360mm versions).

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
With the rad rotated you will still need to remove some case, just to get the fittings in. But it will give a lot more room to play with tubing.

I may just run with the ST30's for now and see how they go with my pump setup etc. The fans I have chosen are PWM controlled and max at 1350rpm.

So I would think switching to the XT45's would only maybe yield better flow.

But I will see how everything turns out first ;-)

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So on Saturday I managed to strip the GTX 770 and mount the block and backing plate
biggrin.gif

Oh it is so glossy.

I am thinking I will apply for the free EVGA back plate offer that is running currently, This one is just not what I was expecting.

I also managed to mount the motherboard

As I was on a run, I figured why not mount the chip and block. Then I found the mounting kit I purchased, which is designed to hide the bolts and apply equal pressure, is missing some washers and other stuff
mad.gif

So I have emailed my place of purchase and are awaiting a reply
rolleyes.gif

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It is rev 4.0, it is able to support FX 9 series of chips.
biggrin.gif
Got it because I am impressed with how my rev 1.0 performs
thumb.gif
I believe Gigabyte have been plagued with some MOSFET / VRM issues in between and on their UD5 boards. But I hope they have sorted them out.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts