Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 456 Posts

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curious about this one. It's optical andf they claim it will have a lift-off distance of 1.2mm.

cm2012_35.jpg

Some specs:
cm2012_36.jpg

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Sounds like another Avago ADNS 3090 mouse? Dunno, the sensor has potential and all, but we've only really seen it shine on one mouse out of three major candidates. Could be a 3080 too I suppose, though we haven't seen that used much outside of the Logitech MX518/G400.

·
Gone
8,730 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayvinAzn View Post

Sounds like another Avago ADNS 3090 mouse? Dunno, the sensor has potential and all, but we've only really seen it shine on one mouse out of three major candidates. Could be a 3080 too I suppose, though we haven't seen that used much outside of the Logitech MX518/G400.
It's a 3090 labeled IC and firmware set. The hardware "3060/3080/3090" + custom variants "3888/3095" are pretty similar. MCU, firmware, and specific sensor releated hardware choices tend to dictate actual performance.
smile.gif

The AM performs decently, but I personally believe that it could have been "better" at the cost of lift off distance.
biggrin.gif

On topic, the Recon looks like a cool little mouse.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Meh... another /__\ shape. Otherwise it looks nice, although the side buttons seem quite large, which could make you hit them accidentally.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkraptor View Post

Looks like a Spawn in an ambidextrous shape. I hope it's not another fail like the Spawn/Xornet.
Acutally, i don't consider the Spawn a failmouse. The shape is amazing for its purpose and the materials and performance are very good for the price.
Just because it wasn't the ultimate "sent-from-heaven" mouse for dedicated low-sense players that some people were expecting, there is no reason to bash it like that.

Would be interesting to see if CM can improve on the sensor performance, though. If it is on par with the AM, then this could be an awesome mouse.

·
Premium Member
8,764 Posts
I'm interested to see if CM fixed the problem with higher polling rates that exist with the spawn. I'm also interested to see how well it tracks and how high the perfect control speed is since the guy made a point to advertise a low lift off distance.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylit View Post

It's a 3090 labeled IC and firmware set. The hardware "3060/3080/3090" + custom variants "3888/3095" are pretty similar. MCU, firmware, and specific sensor releated hardware choices tend to dictate actual performance.
smile.gif

The AM performs decently, but I personally believe that it could have been "better" at the cost of lift off distance.
biggrin.gif

On topic, the Recon looks like a cool little mouse.
I figured something like that, the "6400 FPS" number has only been heavily advertised on a few Avago optical sensors to the best of my knowledge, and the wide variance of performance makes it seem like there's more at work that the sensor alone.

Bit of a side note, why doesn't anyone talk about perfect LOD versus absolute LOD? I noticed this problem on the Xornet. I'd rather have a mouse that tracks reasonably well without jitter up to 2.5mm and completely cuts out by 3mm instead of one that tracks perfectly up to >1.5mm and jitters up to 3mm before it cuts out completely. Sometimes on a larger turn I'll be shooting before my mouse hits the pad, the Xornet made that nigh on impossible with the v50 firmware since it was bouncing around like a superball in the space shuttle right before landing.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stompy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkraptor View Post

Looks like a Spawn in an ambidextrous shape. I hope it's not another fail like the Spawn/Xornet.
Acutally, i don't consider the Spawn a failmouse. The shape is amazing for its purpose and the materials and performance are very good for the price.
Just because it wasn't the ultimate "sent-from-heaven" mouse for dedicated low-sense players that some people were expecting, there is no reason to bash it like that.

Would be interesting to see if CM can improve on the sensor performance, though. If it is on par with the AM, then this could be an awesome mouse.
Hardware-wise it is flawless. Firmware-wise it is a total FAIL. I am currently using the Spawn and have been using it since it was released. I also tried the Xornet (FAIL^2) which is still sitting in its original packing after ~30 minutes of use.

·
Registered
595 Posts
It isn't that bad. I would call Puretrak Valor firmware total fail.

·
Registered
108 Posts
True, CM did not nearly use the sensor to its full potential. I have the impression that they were biting of more then they could chew, considering the spawn was only their second mouse.
Still, i don't know of any small clawgrip mouse (smaller then the AM) that would be massively better then the spawn. Kinzu, Mico, G9x, G300, G100, Pyra etc. all have severe issues. Maybe if i am lucky and get an Abyssus without jitter. But even then it is missing side buttons and i would have to deal with Razers build-"quality".

Anyway, i'm looking forward to the Recon and also the Thermaltake Saphira. Both are looking promising and might be the mouse of choice for those who don't like the shape or price of the AM.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ah so that's the fingertip mouse they hinted they'd release. They said as well that the Spawn would get more firmwareupdates because of this mouse, so if this one has 400 DPI, the spawn might get it as well.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MONVMENTVM View Post

Meh... another /__\ shape. Otherwise it looks nice, although the side buttons seem quite large, which could make you hit them accidentally.

Actually it's not like that at all. The front side of the mouse looks \ _ /, and that's the area i'm interested in (that's where i put my fingers). Very promising shape.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stompy View Post

Still, i don't know of any small clawgrip mouse (smaller then the AM) that would be massively better then the spawn

That would be Kana.

·
Gone
8,730 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayvinAzn View Post

I figured something like that, the "6400 FPS" number has only been heavily advertised on a few Avago optical sensors to the best of my knowledge, and the wide variance of performance makes it seem like there's more at work that the sensor alone.
Bit of a side note, why doesn't anyone talk about perfect LOD versus absolute LOD? I noticed this problem on the Xornet. I'd rather have a mouse that tracks reasonably well without jitter up to 2.5mm and completely cuts out by 3mm instead of one that tracks perfectly up to >1.5mm and jitters up to 3mm before it cuts out completely. Sometimes on a larger turn I'll be shooting before my mouse hits the pad, the Xornet made that nigh on impossible with the v50 firmware since it was bouncing around like a superball in the space shuttle right before landing.
This is more of an Avago issue than what the engineers are capable of. It isn't recommended to modify specific parameters as tracking quality and max IPS tend to suffer as repercussions.

Some of the best performing 30X0 mice have good MCU's, clean firmware, and lift off higher than most would desire. Zowie tried tackling the lift off with a custom lens, although like Logitech, tracking quality does suffer once you get into the higher CPI range.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaingosu View Post

Actually it's not like that at all. The front side of the mouse looks \ _ /, and that's the area i'm interested in (that's where i put my fingers). Very promising shape.
Srsly if you don't have weird hands you'll probably put your fingers around here:

And the shape is clearly /__\ in that area.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Fixed
Quote:

Srsly if you have weird hands you'll probably put your fingers around here:
Having your fingers crippled to that location is impossible, let alone not ergonomic, unless your Spock or something. Hence this mouse as far as I can see is fingertip grip only. I wouldn't try painting a palm grip on there.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by end0rphine View Post

Fixed
Having your fingers crippled to that location is impossible, let alone not ergonomic, unless your Spock or something. Hence this mouse as far as I can see is fingertip grip only. I wouldn't try painting a palm grip on there.
What the hell guys "crippled to that location", I'm really confused. Where else do you put your thumb and pinkie on a mouse?

There, as kaingosu suggested, at the front of the mouse? You guys must have hands like the Hulk or something.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Quote:

What the hell guys "crippled to that location", I'm really confused. Where else do you put your thumb and pinkie on a mouse?
There, as kaingosu suggested, at the front of the mouse? You guys must have hands like the Hulk or something.
No need to get mad, it's just the way i hold the mouse.

http://assets.razerzone.com/peripherals-guide/mouse/images/clawgrip.jpg

In a claw grip ppl usually hold the mouse from the front, resting the back of the hand on the back of the mouse. In my case it gives me a better control over the cursor/crosshair, thus helping me to aim better in fps. But we don't really know the size of this thing, so we're just speculating at this point.

1 - 20 of 456 Posts