Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen many glowing reviews with 9/10 and higher ratings. Time for some balance.

Both mouse buttons are loose. There is a lot of play before the click. If you limit the force applied with your finger, the button will depress a significant distance without activating. It will produce a plastic on plastic noise and tactile feedback, giving the impression you've clicked. A friend has the same problem on their mouse purchased from a different retailer, so it is an inherent defect imo.

The bottom of mouse scratches and drags on the mousemat. If you place even the slightest amount of pressure on any edge the mouse digs in to soft cloth mousemats. When re-positioning any mouse in-game, it never gets lifted far. In fact, we tend to drag it along the mat by the left/right edge. You'll have a nice scraping sensation when doing this with the Spawn.

Sensor placement results in a very shallow arc, not helpful for high sensitivity users:
mousearccomparison.png

Firmware 30 - stock LOD which is far, far too high. Tracks fine on all surfaces, but anyone that lifts their mouse a lot will find it unusable

Firmware 31 and 32 - will only track on a pure black mousemat like the zowie or qck. Even the slightest bright colour and tracking stops. No good for multicoloured mats like the qpad. Heck, it doesn't work on coolermasters own storm tactics mousemat due to a printed design.

Hand position relative to sensor - just as poorly designed as the Logitech G500. The mouse does not sit centered in the hand, resulting in the following "vertical lines":
spawnhandposition.png

If you rest your middle finger over the mousewheel this mouse is not for you. When doing this the right button cannot be pressed, as your ring finger sits on the mouse shell in all grip styles.

Bottom DPI button sometimes sticks in a held down position.

Both DPI buttons are loose and wobble

Mousewheel is irritatingly loud, more so when scrolling up.

Edge of feet are dirt magnets. After only a few hours mine are full of gunk, despite a clean mousemat.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I didnt have the any of the issues with the buttons being stuck, loose, wobble or that slowly applying pressure will cause the mouse to click without being registered

The mousefeet have been fixed with the newest batch that is coming out in the US

Appearently you don't know how to have the mouse in a correct clawgrip if you think you that means resting your middle finger above the mousewheel. This mouse is clearly not made for palmgrip

The loudness of the scrollwheel is a preference. Some people actually like to have feedback when scrolling

firmware v32 will track on lighter surfaces except completely white or very light colours
firmware v31 will pretty much only track on black surfaces
firmware v30 will track on all surfaces but does have a high lift off distance

Lesson of the day, don't buy a clawgrip mouse if you are using palmgrip

·
Registered
320 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whybother;14024297
I've seen many glowing reviews with 9/10 and higher ratings. Time for some balance.

Both mouse buttons are loose. There is a lot of play before the click. If you limit the force applied with your finger, the button will depress a significant distance without activating. It will produce a plastic on plastic noise and tactile feedback, giving the impression you've clicked. A friend has the same problem on their mouse purchased from a different retailer, so it is an inherent defect imo.

The bottom of mouse scratches and drags on the mousemat. If you place even the slightest amount of pressure on any edge the mouse digs in to soft cloth mousemats. When re-positioning any mouse in-game, it never gets lifted far. In fact, we tend to drag it along the mat by the left/right edge. You'll have a nice scraping sensation when doing this with the Spawn.

Sensor placement results in a very shallow arc, not helpful for high sensitivity users:
mousearccomparison.png

Firmware 30 - stock LOD which is far, far too high. Tracks fine on all surfaces, but anyone that lifts their mouse a lot will find it unusable

Firmware 31 and 32 - will only track on a pure black mousemat like the zowie or qck. Even the slightest bright colour and tracking stops. No good for multicoloured mats like the qpad. Heck, it doesn't work on coolermasters own storm tactics mousemat due to a printed design.

Hand position relative to sensor - just as poorly designed as the Logitech G500. The mouse does not sit centered in the hand, resulting in the following "vertical lines":
spawnhandposition.png

If you rest your middle finger over the mousewheel this mouse is not for you. When doing this the right button cannot be pressed, as your ring finger sits on the mouse shell in all grip styles.

Bottom DPI button sometimes sticks in a held down position.

Both DPI buttons are loose and wobble

Mousewheel is irritatingly loud, more so when scrolling up.

Edge of feet are dirt magnets. After only a few hours mine are full of gunk, despite a clean mousemat.
Lower the polling rate. Post the results.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaiiYaa;14024668
Appearently you don't know how to have the mouse in a correct clawgrip if you think you that means resting your middle finger above the mousewheel. This mouse is clearly not made for palmgrip
I don't. This was an example for the many people that DO use clawgrip and rest their middle finger on the mousewheel. There are plenty of them
Quote:
The loudness of the scrollwheel is a preference. Some people actually like to have feedback when scrolling
The sound this thing makes is far above feedback. It sounds like something is scraping and the sound changes depending on scroll direction.
Quote:
firmware v32 will track on lighter surfaces except completely white or very light colours
firmware v31 will pretty much only track on black surfaces
firmware v30 will track on all surfaces but does have a high lift off distance
Basically what I said except v32 does NOT track on dark multicoloured mousemats. I have many mousemats and tested on all.
Quote:
Lesson of the day, don't buy a clawgrip mouse if you are using palmgrip
Lesson 2 of the day - don't make assumptions. I use a 2 fingered fingertip grip.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I'd call the Puretrak Talent a dark colored mousepad and 32 is just fine.

The mouse wheel does not scrape or give any abnormal loud feedback. Mouse buttons are not loose. Mouse feet are fixed. Sensor tracking is fine.

If you truely have all these issues, chances are you're Spawn is broken. **** happens. But please don't start a review with "I've seen many glowing reviews with 9/10 and higher ratings. Time for some balance.". A review should be an objective look at things. You don't write a bad review just for "balance".

·
Registered
12 Posts
Can attest to the mouse button problem raised here. My mouse1 button feels very sloppy and at times produces very little to virtually no tactile feedback, especially when clicking quickly like double clicking on desktop icons. Mouse 2 feels fine though. The difference in quality between the buttons is really irritating me.

Also my dpi buttons wobble.

·
Registered
564 Posts
god damn you're picky / observant ! +1 rep !!!

All my buttons are perfectly fine tho, scroll wheel sounds kinda quiet too, i got used to the akward sensor position and the feet after a few days of usage smoothed out so i feel no scrapping now
smile.gif

·
Registered
245 Posts
If you are having any issues with buttons being loose / wobble please contact our customer support. We used only the highest quality / lowest latency Omron switches to prevent these issues. Unfortunately there will always be a dud or two in every product batch of anything ever made. We would be happy to take care of / replace any issues you are experiencing with our product. Please go to www.coolermaster.com select your region and contact support through live chat. They will be happy to rectify any problems you may be experiencing.

·
Registered
241 Posts
My Spawn works great on the Puretrak Talent, using firmware Ver. 32. The only exception to perfect tracking is if the lens is directly over the white lettering in the lower right corner; I never venture that far, because at that point, my hand is going off the pad. It's a non-issue for me. My switches are crisp and precise, the buttons don't wobble or rattle, at all. The wheel detents give good distinct tactile feedback, which I like, and they are not loud. When you look at the sensor, don't assume it is off-center, just because the LED illuminates the mousepad from the side, rather than from the rear; look at the lens. The lens is well-centered for me (21 cm from wrist to end of middle finger, fingertip style grip), the lens is directly under the first joint of my middle finger, the way I hold the mouse. I suppose if you have larger or smaller hands or a significantly different style grip, the position may not be as good for you, but as we all know, one size does not fit all. The only point of criticism that I can actually agree with was the comment on the skates, that they tend to dig in and drag, but... they're fine after breaking in the mouse for a week or two, and the newest batches supposedly have skates with rounded edges, according to CM Carter. It sounds to me like you got a dud mouse that either somehow slipped through QC or was damaged in shipping. RMA time, I'm sure CM will make it right.

·
Premium Member
6,627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whybother;14024297
spawnhandposition.png
Are you saying the G500 makes tilted vertical lines? 'Cause that is far from the truth.

·
Premium Member
8,764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by B!0HaZard;14026819
Are you saying the G500 makes tilted vertical lines? 'Cause that is far from the truth.
I think hes referring to the sensors position at the tip of the mouse with the G500. Wrist based movement is magnified because of it. And I agree with him.

He is saying the way he holds the spawn combined with the sensors position causes the tilted lines with his cm storm spawn.

·
Premium Member
6,627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp;14026847
I think hes referring to the sensors position at the tip of the mouse with the G500. Wrist based movement is magnified because of it. And I agree with him.

He is saying the way he holds the spawn combined with the sensors position causes the tilted lines with his cm storm spawn.
Ah, makes sense.

·
Banned
5,335 Posts
Though I've seen negative reviews in the six's and seven's as well, it seem the problems are based on preference of how one holds and moves the mouse. I think a lot has still to do with trial and error based on the end user, and that no one mouse can satisfy the entire claw grip camp.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Thanks for writing those comments, OP.

I'm wondering how the mouse would track on my kinda shiny brown table (no mousepad).
Lift off distance is not an issue for me at all (I don't lift the mouse much) so if they're trading tracking for smaller lift off distance I hope CM considers making this optional.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
this guys right i felt my mouse being wavy and also i naturally make archs because of the shape

its nice to see someone feels these things as well (at least i hope you felt them and didnt just check paint first...)

im going to prob ebay mine real soon since i had to buy it from a store in the UK even tho i only bought a few weeks ago.. f waiting for a refund

·
Registered
245 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by early;14032375
Thanks for writing those comments, OP.

I'm wondering how the mouse would track on my kinda shiny brown table (no mousepad).
Lift off distance is not an issue for me at all (I don't lift the mouse much) so if they're trading tracking for smaller lift off distance I hope CM considers making this optional.
It is absolutely optional, with firmware 30a, now what the mouse ships with default, you will experience no tracking issues on your desk surface.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMCarter;14035516
It is absolutely optional, with firmware 30a, now what the mouse ships with default, you will experience no tracking issues on your desk surface.
I like that , but couldn't it simply be a part of the S/W . Must it be designed as a F/W update
smile.gif

Anyhow , picking one up 2moro --- a few questions:: a very low sensi player with a bit of clawing and wrist-work for those flick shots... +will this really address my need? buying it mainly for the sensor
smile.gif

IF, by chance, I get the sad mousefeet, do I have to RMA it ?? I'm going to pick it up in a store 2mrw..

Lastly, Is there a new mouse preferably similar to the shape of the sentinel w/ the same sensor --- IF you're not at liberty to say anything formally, could you PM me please?? I'll hold off if its a amatter of a few weeks.. else , nvm
rolleyes.gif
will go ahead w/ 2moro
smile.gif

1 - 20 of 51 Posts