Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Read Only
10,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is more of a review but 3D printers are starting to become more affordable. Mods, please move if you believe this as advertising.

Source

Some comparisons between other printers.
Quote:
Solidoodle 2: single extruder head, 6x6x6-inch build envelope. Cost: $499.

MakerBot Replicator: dual extruder head, 8.9x5.7x5.9-inch build envelope, wooden frame, onboard controls, and direct printing from onboard SD card reader. Cost: $1,999 ($1,799 for single-extruder model).

3D Systems Cube: single extruder head, 5.5x5.5x5.5-inch build envelope, plastic chassis, prints via Wi-Fi. Cost: $1,299.

At $499, the Solidoodle 2 does not include a heated build platform. I would consider that a crucial feature. Keeping the base layers of plastic warm during printing helps keep the object in place. Without that heat, the object might move around during printing, ruining it. Fortunately, Solidoodle offers a heated platform in its Pro model, for an added cost of $50. The Expert model goes for $599, and includes the heated build platform as well as the metal and acrylic outer enclosure.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
These things seem neat to me. Does anyone know where you can see pics of stuff these type of printers create?

·
DTR Enthusiast
4,863 Posts
Hmm maybe by the time we get our company up and running then maybe we will be able to afford a 3D printer.
thinking.gif

·
Premium Member
1,348 Posts
Do want
biggrin.gif

These things are so cool, I'd love to print out a case for a flash drive or something

·
DTR Enthusiast
4,863 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by royalflush5 View Post

Do want
biggrin.gif

These things are so cool, I'd love to print out a case for a flash drive or something
I foresee OCN being flooded with custom 3D printed benches.
thinking.gif

·
Read Only
10,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkahuna360 View Post

thinking.gif
That would be very cool. This is like Syrillian, but as a machine. Acrylic benches!

In honor of Syrillian, RIP.
frown.gif
His death, although a long time ago, still haunts me.

·
DTR Enthusiast
4,863 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HybridCore View Post

Quote:

thinking.gif
That would be very cool. This is like Syrillian, but as a machine. Acrylic benches!

In honor of Syrillian, RIP.
frown.gif
His death, although a long time ago, still haunts me.
Again we give another moment of silence for Syrillian.
hypocritesmiley.png

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
I'm really excited about the new developments in this space. I'm following a new Kickstarted project called B9Creator. I hope they make it. their nich looks to be "Indie high density".

Source

·
Registered
329 Posts
Pre orders only and you get charged when you place order. I'll wait till we see an actual product ship:)

I like the price though!

·
Banned
1,253 Posts
[The Future]
*starts up a movie*
"You wouldn't print a car"
"You wouldn't print a TV"

In all seriousness, this is very interesting, and surprisingly cheap for a 3D printer.

·
Registered
213 Posts
maybe now we can get another 1 or 2 3d printers at my school just did a Society and Environment project yesterday using our current one a proof of usefulness. For anyone wondering most can only produce relatively small objects so no benches made by them for awhile also unless you get the dual plastic ones they can be a paint to remove the support material as on the fancy ones you can use a plastic that dissolves in methylated spirits. The rolls of creamy white plastic are also ~$80 each

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
It's sad to say, but LEGO is probably on the verge of extinction. Once you can print out complex mechanisms the building blocks that we all grew up with will be almost entirely obsolete.
Kids in the future will all be 3D modellers at the age of three, and they won't have to waste hundreds of hours searching for tiny obscure bricks.

I'm betting these things will be the basis for a second industrial revolution. Once they become capable enough there are a lot of companies that will become irrelevant.

·
DTR Enthusiast
4,863 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveHighDPI View Post

It's sad to say, but LEGO is probably on the verge of extinction. Once you can print out complex mechanisms the building blocks that we all grew up with will be almost entirely obsolete.
Kids in the future will all be 3D modellers at the age of three, and they won't have to waste hundreds of hours searching for tiny obscure bricks.

I'm betting these things will be the basis for a second industrial revolution. Once they become capable enough there are a lot of companies that will become irrelevant.
Not as long as heavy GPU waterblocks are out and the company you bought the card from doesn't supply a backplate for it. I will always have a use for legos.
thumb.gif

·
Registered
360 Posts
while $500 dollar 3D printer is great to play with i'd be more interested in cheaper CNC. Much more useful than 3D printer though much more wasteful. Think about it. custom parts and blocks etc even if it can cut things only about 8 inches wide and long.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitflavor View Post

while $500 dollar 3D printer is great to play with i'd be more interested in cheaper CNC. Much more useful than 3D printer though much more wasteful. Think about it. custom parts and blocks etc even if it can cut things only about 8 inches wide and long.
This might not be at the price point that you are looking for, but in case you are not already aware of this company's products you may be interested in checking them out:
http://www.rolanddga.com/products/milling/mdx540/

I have been interested in rapid prototyping technologies since I had been first introduced to them in 1997, but I would like to see a higher resolution for my purposes.

·
Read Only
10,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:

hypocritesmiley.png
I need some tissues.
tongue.gif
But no joke, this isn't something to laugh about people.
frown.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveHighDPI View Post

Considering the cost of legos these days, the 3D printer might be less expensive after awhile.

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Me want! I have a class coming up where I get to use one of these things.... UNSUPERVISED!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hexa View Post

These things seem neat to me. Does anyone know where you can see pics of stuff these type of printers create?
Googl.... Good evening, sir, and welcome to the Internet. On the internet you can find nearly everything there is to find.... including "stuff these type of printers create". Being that this is your first visit I shall hold your hand throughout the adventure; our first stop is the "Google".

·
Eh, Wha?
9,947 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hexa View Post

My college has two 3d printers. Want me to take some photos of the stuff people have been making on them?

·
Registered
501 Posts
C'mon, pick some decent pattern for your lego blocks... say Red and White then alternate RWRWRW; what you have now, brown grey, green etc looks ugly.

·
DTR Enthusiast
4,863 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HybridCore View Post

Quote:

hypocritesmiley.png
I need some tissues.
tongue.gif
But no joke, this isn't something to laugh about people.
frown.gif
But I wasn't joking......I fold too. Just not as often as needed for a postbit.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts