Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:

Advanced Micro Devices' first 45-nanometer chip, the Shanghai quad-core Opteron, has made its debut at resellers.

The officially unannounced Opteron 837X and 838X series processors are not cheap. Online reseller PC Connection lists the Opteron QC (quad-core) 8384 at $2,509. Another reseller, Buy.com lists the same processor at $2,240.

The 8384 is expected to run at 2.7GHz and draw 75 watts, relatively low power consumption for a quad-core server processor.

The 8385--same clock speed with a faster system bus--is offered for $2,509 at PC Connection.

Other processors listed include the 8382 (2.6GHz), 8380 (2.5GHz), and 8378 (2.4GHz), priced at $2,177, $1,768, and $1,360 respectively at PC Connection. Note that these prices will differ from official pricing from AMD.

The Shanghai Opteron 230X series includes the 2382 (2.6GHz) and 2380 (2.5GHz). These are priced at $1,019 and $814 respectively at PC Connnection.

Rollout of the chip is expected officially on November 13, according to industry sources.

AMD is hoping to make a much better impression with Shanghai. Its first quad-core chip, Barcelona, was rolled out in September 2007 to great fanfare only to be delayed a whopping eight months (or more, depending how the delay is calculated) due to production glitches and bugs. This gave Intel an opportunity to regain ground it had lost to AMD in the server chip market.

Shanghai is in full production right now, Pat Patla, general manager of AMD's server and workstation chip business said last month. The was confirmed during AMD's earnings conference call earlier this month.

Server vendors are expected to be shipping systems as early as this quarter. A Sun Microsystems spokesperson said Tuesday that it plans to offer Shanghai processors on its current x64 platforms running Barcelona. Systems using the new processors are targeted for the first quarter of 2009, the spokesperson said.

At the same clock frequency (speed), Shanghai will outperform Barcelona by about 20 percent, Patla said last month.

AMD is also boosting the size of the cache memory, which typically speeds performance, from 2 megabytes to 6 megabytes. Another speed improvement will come from increasing "instructions per clock."

Patla also said last month that AMD is "turning on HT3 (HyperTransport 3)"--a communication path between chips--and that partners will start to validate systems in the first quarter of next year with this technology

Source

·
Premium Member
16,927 Posts
i know they are sevrer variants, but wow, AMD's really pricing them up...

hopefully that translated into super performance for Deneb

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Nice. I want benchies though

·
Premium Member
8,190 Posts
pricey chips are pricey, but c'mon people like to buy expensive things. sadly enough, IT admins aren't ppl

·
Registered
615 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by BizzareRide
View Post

The QX9775 is 75% less

These Opterons make the 771 Xeons look like a bad deal, so I can only imagine...

·
Premium Member
8,616 Posts
Quote:

View Post

The QX9775 is 75% less

And that isn't a server processor. If I am not wrong, these are the 8 processor compatible variants which have always been $2000+.

·
Premium Member
6,160 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by AN HERO
View Post

These Opterons make the 771 Xeons look like a bad deal, so I can only imagine...

You have benchies?

Quote:

Originally Posted by NrGx
View Post

And that isn't a server processor. If I am not wrong, these are the 8 processor compatible variants which have always been $2000+.

Point taken..but the QX9775 is LGA 771.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Not direct benchmarks, but Anandtech has 2 benchmarks of the previous generation Barcelona Opteron. (Shanghai should be 10-15% faster clock for clock, but I'll post relative "what if" cases below)

Prices
http://www.anandtech.com/IT/showdoc.aspx?i=3414&p=2
NOTE: Six core Xeon X7460/E7450 has MSRP of 2730/2301USD, but cheapest retail chip sells for $3000/$2600 or above. Since Intel didn't include this, cheapest price for Xeon X7350 quad core on retail is 2247 USD

SAP SD
http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/a...2638/17379.png

The fastest Xeon is a six core CPU (6*4 = 24) versus the 16 core Opteron. We'll get to that in a moment.

The 2.5Ghz Shanghai is now $1768. It is possible that even a 2.3 or 2.4Ghz ($1360) Shanghai still beat the $2247 Quad core Xeon. The cheapest six core is 2600USD on the channel, it will still beat all Shanghais but at a big cost, nearly double the price.

So while the Xeon six-core is a better deal than the Xeon quads, they are only meant for those who want this tradeoff: 20-25% better performance for 90% more cost.

ESX Virtualization
http://www.anandtech.com/IT/showdoc.aspx?i=3414&p=8

There are a few images, so I'll just highlight a few points:

1. They used a 2.3Ghz Opteron. Currently sells at $1500. You can get a 45nm Opteron for cheaper ($1360 retail, not MSRP). However it still kills every Xeon quad core used in the benchmark, including the $2200 X7350.

2. The six core Xeon Xtreme Edition (2.66G) leads the 2.3Ghz Opteron by 15%-30%.
If we do mathematical scaling, a 2.7Ghz 65nm Opteron would closen the gap to mere a -4% (Opteron wins) - 8% gap. This is 16 vs 24 cores. The Shanghai CPUs will be faster in virtualization due to a 25% faster world switch time and bigger L3 cache, BUT I will not take that into account because the current Barcelona results are already so impressive.

So overall yeah, there IS a reason why Opteron 4-way CPUs are still selling. There is a reason why Intel even set Dunnington prices close to earth (for the 500+ mm^2 die size, 2x the Opteron, it should have been a 3k-4k chip).

Maybe we all bashed K10 too much due to its server friendly heritage.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Looks like a good comeback for good ol' AMD.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Of course they're expensive, these are the 8 and 2 series, for 8P and 2P serviers, right? If they listed a 1 series, the price would be even less, but they probably wont do that until Deneb is released.

·
Premium Member
4,807 Posts
That pricing is actually not that bad at all. Sure they look really expensive to us, but server chips have always ran that high. For example, the Opteron 2360SE 2.5GHz runs $1239. The new 45nm variant, according to the article, will cost only $814, so it is actually cheaper. Plus with the IPC improvements, higher L3 cache, faster HTT, and lower TDP, it makes the 45nm chip a great deal.

For those looking for another comparison the Opteron 8360SE 2.5GHz costs $2190 whereas the 45nm version will only cost $1768.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

View Post

The QX9775 is 75% less

In addition, QX9775 still uses FSB.... HyperTransport is better in mulit-CPU servers.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
That prices aren´t high in my opinion,considering it´s a server cpu that´s not expensive.Server cpu´s are always more expensive,and those shangai look really good,the have potential.
I´m waiting for deneb´s to see what happens,but i don´t really have the money to pay for a 300 bucks cpu at the moment,i´ll stick with the agena´s.

·
Iconoclast
30,667 Posts
Quote:

View Post

The QX9775 is 75% less

QX9775 is an "enthusiast" CPU, not a server chip.

Intels top of the line x86 server CPUs are priced even higher.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Caught the minor edge on Gainestown, maybe companies won't immediately upgrade (Or if they do use current equipment to do so), but in 2 months from how it looks Shanghai is really going to need to be redeveloped, as those minor gains now, will be lost to it's Xeon kin but maybe the benchmark will show something different.
Hopefully AMD won't be scared to hell and back at the release of Beckton though.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts