Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
ψ(`∇´)ψ
6,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The NewTeeVee live conference, hosted this Thursday, was where Netflix CEO Reed Hastings shared his opinion on the near-future of television. "The real breakthrough will be in remote controls. The video game generation is comfortable with pointers (like the one from Nintendo's Wii video game) for the TV. Remember, it was a revolutionary event when we went from PC to the Mac and let go of tab keys in favor of the mouse. It was incredibly radical. What will be a similar transition is when we abandon the remote with 54 buttons and go to a simple pointer." He also said that the next-generation boxes will have internet browsers, video codecs, and powerful processors, in addition to Wii-like controllers.

The idea wasn't met with all smiles, however. Some audience members groaned at the ideas. "Putting the Web on TV has a bad rap," Hastings said. "The idea was tried and it failed 10 years ago." He makes a good point. Today Web TV is completely more practical compared to the first tries, when dial-up was the norm and the user interface was just beginning to be developed out. Nowadays, broadband connections makes streaming HD video possible and better UI's are being made every day. Getting the internet on TV will also help out video websites like Youtube, Hulu, and Joost, where tons of content lies.

Source: CNET

·
Premium Member
2,767 Posts
Doesn't this bring up all those problems with bandwidth caps and limitations? I've been charting our house connection for about a month, and although we have a business line (no limits) download speeds drop from about 10,000 kbps during the day to ~500 kbps any time after dinner (QoS is implemented and torrents/peer to peer traffic is forbidden in router settings). In the evening it takes about 1 minute per minute of YouTube video you want to load. Unless the broadband infrastructure is improved a whole lot, I can see people with a lot of slideshows on their television.

·
Premium Member
5,069 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by C-bro View Post
Doesn't this bring up all those problems with bandwidth caps and limitations? I've been charting our house connection for about a month, and although we have a business line (no limits) download speeds drop from about 10,000 kbps during the day to ~500 kbps any time after dinner (QoS is implemented and torrents/peer to peer traffic is forbidden in router settings). In the evening it takes about 1 minute per minute of YouTube video you want to load. Unless the broadband infrastructure is improved a whole lot, I can see people with a lot of slideshows on their television.
weird, i have never had that problem before. i always get my full speed. I have road runner (TWC).

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Hmmmm.... that gives me an idea of using a Wiimote for my HTPC.... ha.

·
Premium Member
5,069 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckieHo
View Post

Hmmmm.... that gives me an idea of using a Wiimote for my HTPC.... ha.

if you figure out how let me know lol i want to also.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by {core2duo}werd
View Post

yeah, but i thought you meant the IR part. THAT would be cool.

The Wiimote uses the IR for only point-of-references. You can wire any IR LEDs for this purpose.

·
Premium Member
18,210 Posts
I see some issues with this with all the usa internet providers trying to make users pay more for less. Like at&t cap their gonna use is crazy thier capping the 3mbit connections to like 5 gigs a month.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
that would be cool if you can get the Wii-Mote to surf through windows and movies and such for HTPC stuff...

As I already have a Wii I would just need the bluetooth adapter...I am thinking of just getting the Logitec Denovo mini for my HTPC....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts