Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:
The National Security Agency's Perfect Citizen program hunts for vulnerabilities in "large-scale" utilities, including power grid and gas pipeline controllers, new documents from EPIC show.
Quote:
Discussions about offensive weapons in the U.S. government's electronic arsenal have gradually become more public. One NSA employment posting for a Control System Network Vulnerability Analyst says the job involves "building proof-of concept exploits," and an Air Force announcement in August called for papers discussing "Cyberspace Warfare Attack" capabilities. The Washington Post reported last month that Obama secretly signed a directive in October outlining the rules for offensive "cyber-operations."
"Sabotage or disruption of these industries can have wide-ranging negative effects including loss of life, economic damage, property destruction, or environmental pollution," the NSA concluded in a public report (PDF) discussing industrial control systems and their vulnerabilities.
Source

Thoughts?

·
Registered
834 Posts
Good to see that the events of Stuxnet are being taken seriously and that our infrastructure isn't bullet proof. Could easily see an overload to the powergrid by an intrusion causing major havoc, even more so if a country planned to invade right after as well. It's like Red Dawn meets Stuxnet.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
from what I hear the NSA has been breaking 128bit and 256bit AES encryption, or very close to it. current hardware would take billions of years to brute force a 128bit key, but apparently with a flaw they found in the algorithm and a beastly super computer its actually doable. I don't have any real sources to prove my claim but we all know the government has technology that is about 10 years ahead of the consumer level... so arrogant people who say "Not even the FBI could crack my Encryption" better watch your backs, I'd suggest upgrading to 512bit LOL. if they really are 10 years ahead that means they are using at least 5nm chips, or even quantum computers by now.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vonnis View Post

Tell all your friends, their brothers, dads, and their uncles to stay put. Our agents are on their way to help you realise there is nothing to worry about.
Yes, when they tell you to take a pill labeled "Cyanide" do not fear, it is only a vitamin pill. They care for your health and well being.

·
Premium Member
16,521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HK_47 View Post

from what I hear the NSA has been breaking 128bit and 256bit AES encryption, or very close to it. current hardware would take billions of years to brute force a 128bit key, but apparently with a flaw they found in the algorithm and a beastly super computer its actually doable. I don't have any real sources to prove my claim but we all know the government has technology that is about 10 years ahead of the consumer level... so arrogant people who say "Not even the FBI could crack my Encryption" better watch your backs, I'd suggest upgrading to 512bit LOL. if they really are 10 years ahead that means they are using at least 5nm chips, or even quantum computers by now.
Sorry, technology doesn't work that way. Educate yourself on how the semiconductor industry works. The government might get next gen chips on a new node a few months ahead of consumers, if they paid 100x as much to account for the lower yield rate. They cannot get 5nm chips now, sorry bud, doesn't work that way.

People seem to have a great overestimation of what the government can actually do.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I work for the military. we hear a lot of stuff depending on what you do, the government is no where as smart as people think the are. I have seen it to where someone points out a security issue, instead of fix it they delete the email or thread and say that the vulnerability does not exist. When it clearly did. and still does. out of site out of mind I guess.

·
Banned
101 Posts
Quote:

They teach you this in the 6th grade?

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightEscape View Post

Good to see that the events of Stuxnet are being taken seriously and that our infrastructure isn't bullet proof. Could easily see an overload to the powergrid by an intrusion causing major havoc, even more so if a country planned to invade right after as well. It's like Red Dawn meets Stuxnet.
Not even remotely likely. No country in the world can mobilize an invasion force significant enough to pose a threat to the U.S. without its notice, to say anything of actually moving that force across the Atlantic or Pacific. With an alliance it might be possible, but the only couple countries who together might be able to accomplish this would never work together under any circumstance (and have been at political and ideological odds since WWII).

Invasions are really not a threat. Digital and economic attacks, on the other hand...

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
Quote:

From what I hear from a guy that works for the CIA is that he uses Windows XP, Internet Explorer and Norton AV and clicks on shifty ads and installs all sorts of toolbars.
tongue.gif

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by num1son View Post

The NSA may not have next gen tech but they are nothing to scoff at. Between the minds working there, the super computers, and data banks it's pretty scary what they can do.
like I said there are some really smart people in the NSA that have been working on breaking AES 128bit and 256bit for the past decade, and they are using those super computers and databanks to do it, they have recently been cracking open old classified files from the early 2000's. keep in mind even with their tech it still takes years to break AES.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave12 View Post

From what I hear from a guy that works for the CIA is that he uses Windows XP, Internet Explorer and Norton AV and clicks on shifty ads and installs all sorts of toolbars.
tongue.gif
I'm not talking about the dude at langley who sits behind his desk with a suit and a tie using windows xp and outlook express. nobody knows what they are using in top secret government research labs. if intel is researching 7nm and 5nm, and that is publicly known, I don't know what leads people to believe the government isn't doing it too. there is no doubt working prototypes exist maybe even smaller than 5nm. they could be 5+ years away from consumer release, but think about it. making a few chips is simple, mastering that small of a process for millions of chips there is a HUGE margin for error, getting rid of those errors is why it takes YEARS to jump nodes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchmoSalt View Post

If you give Walter Bishop enough LSD anything is possible.
thumb.gif
LOL I couldn't have said it better myself.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.