Overclock.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:


While Windows 7 has gotten plenty of attention over the past two weeks, there are some features in there that haven't gotten as much attention. I wrote on Friday about a new programming interface for location-based services. Here are seven more features that caught my eye.

Here's the shortened version.
1. Standard approach to mobile broadband
2. Help with public Wi-Fi spots.
3. Windows Troubleshooting
4. New sensor support
5. Improved battery life and playback of DVDs
6. Windows Biometric Framework
7. Enhancements to Windows Media Center

Source
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
689 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by skatingrocker17
View Post

Here's the shortened version.
1. Standard approach to mobile broadband
2. Help with public Wi-Fi spots.
3. Windows Troubleshooting
4. New sensor support
5. Improved battery life and playback of DVDs
6. Windows Biometric Framework
7. Enhancements to Windows Media Center

Source

This is what Vista couldn't do?
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
15,777 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by DaMirrorLink
View Post

I'd only be happy if I saw this

>_>

<_<

Or if they added this
"New multi-core support which forces programs to spread information over the pointed cores.
*NEW profile update; both EXE and DLL can now be run in profiles.
add support for 256 cores."

pretty much like the same as the task managers version of the multicore settings but you instead forces the applications to work in the cores you have told it to run under.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,125 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Ecchi-BANZAII!!!
View Post

Or if they added this
"New multi-core support which forces programs to spread information over the pointed cores.
*NEW profile update; both EXE and DLL can now be run in profiles.
add support for 256 cores."

pretty much like the same as the task managers version of the multicore settings but you instead forces the applications to work in the cores you have told it to run under.

mine was more of a joke but yours is a damn good idea
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
15,777 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by DaMirrorLink
View Post

mine was more of a joke but yours is a damn good idea

may this will come through to them so that multi-cores actually do something in applications. windows can handle it but most programs don't use more than one core (2 if they had some support for the old HT technology).

hehe go into profiles and add any game exe or dll(the one that actually runs the game) and force 4 cores if you have a Quad and 4*2 cores if you have a Ci7.
would be a big step in the CPU market meaning that they can finally be like the graphic cards and calculate more efficient.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,272 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Ecchi-BANZAII!!!
View Post

Or if they added this
"New multi-core support which forces programs to spread information over the pointed cores.
*NEW profile update; both EXE and DLL can now be run in profiles.
add support for 256 cores."

pretty much like the same as the task managers version of the multicore settings but you instead forces the applications to work in the cores you have told it to run under.

It already does this, but only if the program already uses several threads to work...
Like if there's a program like Prime95 that employs worker threads, then Windows will automatically spread them out.

What you're saying is impossible from a technical point of view, unless the program uses more than one thread. In the Task Manager, all you do is disallow programs from running on certain cores.
So if a program supports multithreading, it won't be allowed to run on the cores you've unticked, or if it uses worker threads, Windows won't move them to the "disabled" cores.
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
15,777 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Coma View Post
It already does this, but only if the program already uses several threads to work...
Like if there's a program like Prime95 that employs worker threads, then Windows will automatically spread them out.

What you're saying is impossible from a technical point of view, unless the program uses more than one thread. In the Task Manager, all you do is disallow programs from running on certain cores.
So if a program supports multithreading, it won't be allowed to run on the cores you've unticked, or if it uses worker threads, Windows won't move them to the "disabled" cores.
Prime95 isn't what I call a program cuz it's only purpose is to bench.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,948 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Ecchi-BANZAII!!!
View Post

Prime95 isn't what I call a program cuz it's only purpose is to bench.

Err, it's still a program. Call it what you want, though.

Windows 7 really is Vista SP2.
 

·
Goodbye
Joined
·
10,269 Posts
They need to get the Stigs marketing team working on Windows 7.

Could you see Jeremy Clarkson saying:

Quote:


"Some people say it won't crash on you, and it'll even replace your girlfriend. All we know is that it's called Seven..."

 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top