Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
youtube.png

Quote:
YouTube may tune in to the online music world this year with its own streaming service.

The service would likely offer free music streaming paid for by ads as well as an ad-free subscription option, according to Fortune, which says it was briefed by sources in the record industry and by an unnamed person at Google.

YouTube itself told Fortune that "while we don't comment on rumor or speculation, there are some content creators that think they would benefit from a subscription revenue stream in addition to ads, so we're looking at that."
Source

Looks like Pandora and Spotify got some competition heading their way.
thumb.gif

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
really cool! hopefully they roll out some good features to go with this.

·
Slave to IaaS
2,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Setzer View Post

Inb4 using ad-blocker becomes illegal
Don't care, ads suck.
(Except for OCN, they deserve £££)

As long as google make sure they don't overcharge for the sub I can't see this failing.
Whether or not it'll be enough to convince me to stop using my youtube playlists of music we'll come to find out.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Quote:
Users of Google Play can currently buy, store, and listen to their own tracks online. But both services will reportedly offer a subscription plan designed to add more benefits.
What is Google's fetish with creating products that compete with itself?

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Setzer View Post

Inb4 using ad-blocker becomes illegal
There will always be ways to disable ads easily even if Google laid the boom on "Ad-Block" - choosing not to view ads while on a website could never passed to make it illegal to do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiegreg View Post

I personally like Pandora's simplicity. Lets see how youtube handles it.
yeah YouTube has too much other junk displaying to navigate and stuff, maybe they could make it simple by like Youtube.com/Streams or something

Quote:
Originally Posted by Churminess View Post

What is Google's fetish with creating products that compete with itself?
Well when no other company can compete with you, mise well compete with yourself lmao

·
Premium Member
5,750 Posts
Someone has a thing for Felicia Day.
bonjeursmiley.png

·
PC Gamer
3,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boon Mc Boon View Post

In other news, Google reports that Youtube's bandwidth usage and load has dropped by more than 90%!!
that explains why youtube is so slow lately, they have scaled down their uplink to save money
tongue.gif

best
revro

·
Registered
234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hokage View Post

Doesn't this sound kinda redundant?
More competition is a good thing. Right now the major free streaming services I can think of are Slacker, Pandora, and iHeart. There are probably more but I am just going for the top of my head. Maybe YouTube's version will have a bigger selection. Maybe it will force the other services to improve. Maybe it will just be redundant.
biggrin.gif

·
Banned
12,731 Posts
So why would Google, who owns YouTube, put a music streaming service there as opposed to the more logical site of Google Play, which already has a "Music on Google Play" section?

Is YouTube sucking that bad that they have to prop it up?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 47 Knucklehead View Post

So why would Google, who owns YouTube, put a music streaming service there as opposed to the more logical site of Google Play, which already has a "Music on Google Play" section?

Is YouTube sucking that bad that they have to prop it up?
Youtube has more mind share than any streaming service available. It's up to like third or fourth most visited site in the world. Google has the cash to pull any wonky brand named service they want for a steaming service( Google Play Music would be a good idea) but Youtube is free advertisement for this streaming service with all the traffic it gets.

It just makes sense to use Youtube as the platform for a streaming service, it should be reason for the service to cost next to nothing for the consumer. All we have to worry about is Google rolling the successful service into Google+ a year from now( RIP Picasa).
rolleyes.gif

·
Premium Member
5,750 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KhaoticKomputing View Post

I can't wait for youtube's popularity to fade. Such a horrible service, Bloated with add's and holy slow loading times batman. They need to fix the problems they already have rather than add a whole new host of problems to the mix.
I see zero ads, and there are soooooo many good YouTube channels. Don't be mad because you don't know about them or have a good enough ISP to watch them even if you wanted to.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts