Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:

TAIPEI -(Dow Jones)- Apple Inc. (AAPL) is planning to launch a netbook computer with a touch screen monitor as early as the second half of this year, two people close to the situation told Dow Jones Newswires Tuesday.

The mini laptop computers will likely have monitor screens that are between 9.7-inches and 10-inches, one person, who declined to be named, said.

Source

It's about time if you ask me.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
9.7" to 10"? I don't think there is standard screen size in that range. I think closest standards are either 8.9" or 10.2".

Are these netbooks or Mobile Internet Devices?

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
I really loved the press release from apple when the rumor started circulating: (paraphrased) "The iPhone does everything that a netbook can do, so why do we need one." Except for the iPhone breaks 2/3 of the internet with the omission of Flash.

And then Jobs said that Apple didn't know how to make a $500 laptop that isn't junk.

Try harder.....I mean really, I don't think you could make an Apple at any cost that wasn't junk.

·
Premium Member
12,992 Posts
So now Sony won't be able to claim is has the most expensive netbook?

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckieHo
View Post

9.7" to 10"? I don't think there is standard screen size in that range. I think 10.2" is the standard there.

The MSI Wind is billed as a 10" screen, while the Acer Aspire Ones and the HP Mininotes are billed as 10.1" screen IIRC

·
Premium Member
15,202 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by nathris
View Post

At least with Sony you get quality for that money. Look at how tough everything they make is. Damn near impossible to break a PS3. Not even in a sauna.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckieHo
View Post

I think that's the real question. If it's a netbook, it needs a keyboard. "Touchscreen" doesn't say 'keyboard' to me, but that's just mho.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by HardwaterH4ck3r
View Post

The MSI Wind is billed as a 10" screen, while the Acer Aspire Ones and the HP Mininotes are billed as 10.1" screen IIRC

I believe the actualy MSI Wind screen is 10.1".

I believe all these companies are using the same size screen. They are the same size as portable DVD players since this is where the LCD industry settled on the size.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by nathris
View Post

Honestly, though, analysts have been saying Apple is gonna release a netbook pretty much ever since netbooks first became popular. These hardware "predictions" these analysts make are b.s. more often than not and seem to just be the result of a "y'know what would be cool?" conversation. And I honestly don't believe that an "inside source" is now suddenly proving them right. I'll believe it when I see it.

·
Premium Member
2,463 Posts
This is a very odd move. An apple netbook would directly compete with the 1000 dollar macbook.

Furthermore, it's a netbook, so people are still going to want a main computer. The thing is, after paying 500-700 for this high end netbook, people are just going to pick up a $400 dollar dell for home use.

I'm sure apple has something up their sleeve with this product.

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
Apple will make a fortune on these things. As long as the OS is stable enough on the hardware and the touch screen is as good as the ipod/iphone...these things will sell faster then the MacBook Wheel. I can see it now, kids at schools everywhere on a macbook touch browsing the internet bored to death on their mac because they have no idea what else to do with it.

·
Premium Member
5,772 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Licht
View Post

At least with Sony you get quality for that money. Look at how tough everything they make is. Damn near impossible to break a PS3. Not even in a sauna.

except thosePOS controllers... drop them and they are screwed...

·
Premium Member
15,202 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sdla4ever
View Post

except thosePOS controllers... drop them and they are screwed...

Only time i saw one break was when my cousin got mad and swung it by the cord into his concrete flooring. Thing was sent into a million pieces.

·
Premium Member
9,000 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ElMikeTheMike View Post
Once Apple comes out with this, it'll be fun to watch everyone else play catch-up.
x2

I may not love Apple, but they are usually the ones to actually innovate lately. It seems they forgot that the rest of the world doesn't like NASA pricing, and that people might like a little customization, but besides that they make pretty nice products.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts