Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
TL;DR CNPS10X optima bought in 2013 mounting safe for the 8700K ??

Received all my parts except my case (shipping from California ***) and my new AS5. Since i'm a manchild and won't we able to wait, I was wondering if I could use my old CNPS10X optima (upgraded with noctua fan) with my 8700K. Just want to be sure i'm not damaging the cpu like the skylake incident.

p.s: will be using stock clock until I install in my new case and noctua D15.

·
Premium Member
27,137 Posts
TL;DR CNPS10X optima bought in 2013 mounting safe for the 8700K ??

Received all my parts except my case (shipping from California ***) and my new AS5. Since i'm a manchild and won't we able to wait, I was wondering if I could use my old CNPS10X optima (upgraded with noctua fan) with my 8700K. Just want to be sure i'm not damaging the cpu like the skylake incident.

p.s: will be using stock clock until I install in my new case and noctua D15.
There was a lot of hype about LGA1151 being damaged, but when I looked deep into it there was none I could find that were damaged by normal handling. All I found that were damaged were the result of extreme abuse, like shipping a completely assembled system with a big cooler that were dropped or thown .. like packed in case box and shipped by courier or packed as luggage on aircraft. We all know how luggage and packages are handled. :p

There is a video by a German review site putting complete running system in case box and tossing it over their head while one held monitor to see if it would stop working. It did not, but case, PSU, etc. did sustain damage, as did socket. But like I said, that is extreme abuse. Sorry, I can't find the video.

I've mounted and tested dozens of cooler on my 1151 and it is not a problem. Don't worry about it unless you plan to push your case of of the desk or throw it around the room.

What case are you getting and if you don't mind answering, why did you choose NH-D15?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My permanent case will be a Define R6. I chose the Noctua D15 because I was extremely impress by the quality of theirs fan I bought 2 years ago. Engineering, design, presentation, performance, QA,.. everything is through the roof. Typical german quality (Germany, Austria, Switzerland) which feel and satisfy me like my dishwasher (Miele) and my car (Audi) :)

·
Premium Member
27,137 Posts
My permanent case will be a Define R6. I chose the Noctua D15 because I was extremely impress by the quality of theirs fan I bought 2 years ago. Engineering, design, presentation, performance, QA,.. everything is through the roof. Typical german quality (Germany, Austria, Switzerland) which feel and satisfy me like my dishwasher (Miele) and my car (Audi) :)
Reasonable reasons. Thanks. Alway like hearing why people choose what they do and how they all work out after building and using for awhile.

I have old Define R2, some Phanteks, and a couple Nanoxia cases. The old R2 is a great old case, and all the Phanteks are equally good, but the Nanoixia are not as well built. R6 is well designed and Fractal Design keeps improving each generation.

Because I test coolers I have too many to name, and while Noctua are very good, there are several others I think are equally good.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Finally received and installed all my parts. Coming back to answer some of my questions.

Corsair 200r stock case (1 front intake cougar vortex, 1 rear exhaust cougar vortex, 1 side intake corsair stock)
CNPS10X Optima with Noctua NF-F12 PWM Fans and Arctic Silver 5
8700K OC @ 4.8 on all core
Idle @ 25c, Cinebench @ 65c, 3dMark Timespy avx2 load @ 67c.

EXTREMELY impress with the cooling performance of my old cooler and case!!! Honestly wondering why I bought a noctua and define r6 case loll

edit: even more impressing considering my arctic silver 5 only had 1 hour of cure time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts