Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

Ok.... where do I start.... Three weeks ago I brought Call Of Duty and it has never run correctly. It keeps locking up.

I've contacted Activision Support and they don't have a clue. Here's there last update to the problem....

Quote:

At this point I am out of suggestions. The problem may be hardware related. Check to make sure you have all of the latest bios updates and drivers for your motherboard. Many motherboard chipsets require separate AGP, IRQ routing, and Busmastering drivers to be installed in Windows to run properly. You should also make sure that your AGP aperture size is set to 64MB in the motherboard BIOS and that you are not overclocking your videocard or processor. Contact your motherboard manufacturer for help with drivers and BIOS settings. You may want to check for any other hardware conflicts that may exist as well. Finally you may have power consumption issues. Your power supply might not be adequate for the amount of hardware in your machine. Once you have eliminated any hardware possibilities you may want to try reinstalling your operating system. If you still cant get the game to work then you may want to consider returning the game at this point.

I've updated the drivers / firmware for everything and I mean everything.... CPU, GPU, mobo, monitor, USB, DVDROM, CDROM, etc. I've also tried reinstalling Windows.

I've put the CPU & GPU back to stock speeds, reset the BIOS to the defaults.

Do any of you have any ideas on what I could try?

Here's a link to the transcript between Activision and me.
http://rig.worldofzeus.co.uk/Response.htm

·
Premium Member
9,589 Posts
I hate to say this, but it runs great on my laptop...lol

Apparently the tech didnt know you have a 550 watt psu...

Thats a cryin shame that it won't run correctly on your computer, do they make a no-cd key for it?

I'm out of suggestions as well, you've seem to have tried everything I would have suggested.

·
Premium Member
2,572 Posts
What GPU drivers are you using... If its 66.71/66.81/66.93 CoD has problems and will be jumpy.

Well got to run 5 a side football.

·
Premium Member
2,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeaDLocK

What GPU drivers are you using... If its 66.71/66.81/66.93 CoD has problems and will be jumpy.

Well got to run 5 a side football.

I've tried every version of driver that supports 6800 and all of them have the same problem.

I'm going to try it on my other rig and see what happens....
Spec --> http://rig.worldofzeus.co.uk/specs.php?spec=Internet

·
Premium Member
2,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've been playing it on my other rig for the last two hours and there hasn't been any lockups. The only thing I hate is the loading times.... very slow compared to my FX rig.

One thing I have noticed is that the FPS are the same. It never goes above 60FPS on either of them.

It appears the game is limited to 60 FPS and I'm wondering if that is causing the lockups. Maybe the GPU is trying to go faster but the game won't allow it and thats why it locks up......

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
Hey Zeus, that's weird man, sounds like a driver issue. I have played COD without any problems whatsover, using 61.77's, 66.70's, 66.72's, and the latest 66.93's. I did not have a single issue with any of them. You reinstalled Direct X right? Did you run Direct X Diagnostics-you can test direct 3d and direct draw in dxdiag. Weird stuff man.

·
Premium Member
2,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It is weird...... In all my years of gaming (and thats alot) and PC game support (for Activision!!!), I've never had this problem with a game.

I've reinstalled Direct9.0c too many times....
All the DX tests run fine, no errors and all the drivers are WHQL approved.

And yes its patched to 1.3 for SP and 1.4 for MP.

I've got to change the GPU cooler & CPU fan on my rig, so I might wipe windows and start again...

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
^^ That's really weird man. I havent heard of anyone else using an A64 having problems with COD. Stumped me

·
Premium Member
2,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've reinstalled windows and its still locks up.... when it locks up, it now causes a BSOD and that is caused by the display drivers.

I've re-tried every version of GPU driver that supports the 6800 and they all cause a lockup.

I'm completed stumped.... so I guess I'll have to keep playing it on my slower rig...

I just hope I don't have this problem with HL2....

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeus

I've reinstalled windows and its still locks up.... when it locks up, it now causes a BSOD and that is caused by the display drivers.

I've re-tried every version of GPU driver that supports the 6800 and they all cause a lockup.

I'm completed stumped.... so I guess I'll have to keep playing it on my slower rig...

I just hope I don't have this problem with HL2....

I really dont have any ideas for the lockup problem, but the 60fps top could have something to do with Vsync.... At least that was my problem with CS topping out at 60fps.

·
Premium Member
2,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:

Originally Posted by scwag

Hi..
I use to have this problem with COD.. simply fixed by turning fast writes to off..
Worked for me..

I've double-checked and Fast Write is already disabled.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeus

I've double-checked and Fast Write is already disabled.

Thats a shame... its a great game..

·
Premium Member
5,606 Posts
i had a problem like that on my 3.2 nw....for some reason it would always lock up...sometimes after 2 min, sometimes after 2 hours. it wassnt temps or drivers, it just pissed me off completly....im not sure what happened, but one day it just stoped. i dont remember but i think that i maybe i changed settings. try that....change settings in the options...try high, low, medium...with all things. it should work. also is it locking up in the same level? 1 more thing...maybe its a problem with the way the video drivers are set....check Gl and DirectX settings sorry but this is just wierd....CoD is very finicky though, so thats probly just it, dot worry...probly wont happen in HL2

1 - 15 of 15 Posts