Overclock.net banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Overclocker
4,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The RICOCHET Anti-Cheat initiative is a multi-faceted approach to combat cheating, featuring new server-side tools which monitor analytics to identify cheating, enhanced investigation processes to stamp out cheaters, updates to strengthen account security, and more. RICOCHET Anti-Cheat’s backend anti-cheat security features will launch alongside Call of Duty®: Vanguard, and later this year with the Pacific update coming to Call of Duty: Warzone.

In addition to server enhancements coming with RICOCHET Anti-Cheat is the launch of a new PC kernel-level driver, developed internally for the Call of Duty franchise, and launching first for Call of Duty: Warzone. This driver will assist in the identification of cheaters, reinforcing and strengthening the overall server security. The kernel-level driver launches alongside the Pacific update for Warzone later this year.

While the kernel driver, which is only a part of RICOCHET Anti-Cheat, will release to PC, by extension, console players playing via cross-play against players on PC will also stand to benefit. The kernel-level driver will subsequently release for Call of Duty: Vanguard at a later date.

1. A Full Anti-Cheat System. RICOCHET Anti-Cheat brings a broad enhancement to the security of for Call of Duty, bringing server enhancements to Call of Duty: Vanguard and Call of Duty: Warzone. Launching first in Warzone later this year is a new kernel-level driver on PC. The driver will be integrated into Call of Duty: Vanguard at a later date. The new initiative allows for rapid iteration to combat a sophisticated and evolving problem.

2. Call of Duty: Warzone Adds Kernel-Level Driver. Kernel-level drivers are given a high level of access to monitor and manage software and applications on a PC, such as your PC’s graphics card driver. The driver element of the RICOCHET Anti-Cheat system will check the software and applications that attempt to interact and manipulate Call of Duty: Warzone, providing the overall security team more data to bolster security. Once the kernel-level driver is deployed; it will be required to play Warzone. For more detailed information about RICOCHET Anti-Cheat and its kernel-level driver, read the dedicated FAQ.

3. Protecting Your Privacy. In its initial rollout on Call of Duty: Warzone, the kernel-level driver will only operate when you play on PC. The driver is not always-on. The software turns on when you start Call of Duty: Warzone and shuts down when you close the game. Plus, the kernel-level driver only monitors and reports activity related to Call of Duty.

4. Feedback and Transparency Are Crucial. You are also a critical part in our pursuit to combat cheating. So, please continue to report issues in-game, allowing the RICOCHET Anti-Cheat team to adapt all tools to combat cheaters.
How the kernel-level driver works

· RICOCHET Anti-Cheat's kernel-level driver operates ONLY while playing Call of Duty: Warzone on PC.

· RICOCHET Anti-Cheat's driver is not always-on.

· RICOCHET Anti-Cheat's driver monitors the software and applications that interact with Call of Duty: Warzone.

· When you shut down Call of Duty: Warzone, the driver turns off.

·
Cheesebumps!!
3,056 Posts
I hope they don't screw this up..

EDIT:

I was further reading on this and one of the plans is to block/ban OBS for stream recording since it can be exploited to be used on loading game cheats and hacks..(well that's open source software for you) but I feel the devs of the anti cheat are too far thinking ahead..(I HOPE I am wrong in thinking so)

·
Overclocker
4,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why does RICOCHET Anti-Cheat use a kernel-level driver instead of software from the user level of access?
Cheating software has become more sophisticated, allowing cheaters to circumvent traditional approaches to security. A kernel-level driver allows for the monitoring of applications that may attempt to manipulate Call of Duty: Warzone game code, while it is running.
User-mode applications have limitations on access and monitoring, making it more likely for unauthorized software to manipulate game code or to circumvent security features.

Will the kernel-level driver be available in Call of Duty: Vanguard?
RICOCHET Anti-Cheat will enhance anti-cheat security for both Call of Duty: Vanguard and Call of Duty: Warzone when it launches later this year alongside the Pacific update for Warzone. The PC kernel-level driver will arrive first for Warzone and subsequently release for Call of Duty: Vanguard at a later date.

Can I opt out of using the driver to play Call of Duty: Warzone?
RICOCHET Anti-Cheat’s kernel-level driver will be required to play Call of Duty: Warzone on PC when it launches later this year.

Will RICOCHET Anti-Cheat be available on consoles?
While the kernel driver, which is only a part of RICOCHET Anti-Cheat, will release to PC, by extension, console players playing via cross-play against players on PC will also stand to benefit.
More info

·
Watercooler
3,374 Posts
I remember when I first started playing and everyone said I was "just bad" at the game( I'm above average at FPS games). I actually can't believe how much cheating is in this game. Took them long enough.

·
Registered
565 Posts
nice.. so many cheaters in warzone.. like they track you perfectly with their aim outside of los..

·
Overclocker
4,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
High level of cheating is also found in the core game as well. Not until recently has Modern Warfare 2019 gotten bad. For whatever reason Cold War is by far the worst culprit. It would seem that the machine learning aspect of the cheat is designed for Cronus zen users. As well as 3rd party online apps running in the background.

·
Premium Member
10,211 Posts
It's been bad for over 1.5 years. I too agree it's gotten much worse over the last 6-9 months though.

It has grown increasingly worse as more players have jumped in and recreated account after account to play as old ones get banned. It's gotten so bad that many people I used to play with no longer care to play. Their hope is BF6 brings in a new alternative, but sadly, that's a completely different deal all in itself. Different style of play, different mechanics.

I can understand cheating in a professional sense for an 'edge' but I'll never understand it for casual gaming beyond 'trolling'. Especially at how low the entry price apparently is.

·
Overclocker
4,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
It's been bad for over 1.5 years. I too agree it's gotten much worse over the last 6-9 months though.

It has grown increasingly worse as more players have jumped in and recreated account after account to play as old ones get banned. It's gotten so bad that many people I used to play with no longer care to play. Their hope is BF6 brings in a new alternative, but sadly, that's a completely different deal all in itself. Different style of play, different mechanics.

I can understand cheating in a professional sense for an 'edge' but I'll never understand it for casual gaming beyond 'trolling'. Especially at how low the entry price apparently is.
It feeds narcissistic people self entitlement of "feeling" superior to others. If you ever hear some of them they will blurb out "easy bots", " too easy", "this isn't even a challenge" etc for a more trolling effect. While others don't say anything at all.

What typically happens in a match is one over zeolite cheater pisses off a closet cheater who gets owned by the end of the match. Then call the closet cheater as a cheater. As they say, "There is no honor among thieves".

I've seen it quite a few times unfortunately. As I wonder "how we win that??" when I take a look at our teams stats to see we had a cheater dial it to 11. There are a lot of cheaters that "don't cheat" unless they are getting owned by someone then they turn their cheats on. Actual good players get decimated and targeted in which some back out the lobby. While 2 cheaters go head on at each other allowing us regulars to play the game. Having no idea who will win as the score is completely out of our hands. If it's DOM and other none tdm matches then it's a bit more fair in that example as the 2 opposing cheaters are going all out TDM style.

That brings out another problem with cheating. The drama it creates. For some odd reason Activision allows players to stay in the same lobbies now in Cold War. It doesn't happen all the time though which is odd. And, you can hear your opponents from time to time just as their character dies by your gun. I use to think it was my teammates until I saw the speaker icon on the opponent I just took out (just so happen to have the score board up at the time). Odd choices they make in this game...

·
Premium Member
10,211 Posts
Thanks for the insight, damn, I never even had a perspective with what you've shared in mind. WOW.

·
Overclocker
4,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Thanks for the insight, damn, I never even had a perspective with what you've shared in mind. WOW.
Have you ever notice why so many players refuse to play TDM when it comes up? It's like this:
TDM OR DOM....lobby chooses DOM
TDM OR Kill Confirmed.....Lobby chooses KC
KC or DOM....lobby chooses DOM.

On rare occasions you get TDM. If you press the issue in chat you can get TDM. It's not impossible. It's just not auto go to option. This is because they know they are going to run into cheaters. Those none TDM matches slightly offsets their ability to completely ruin the match. This formula has only allowed me to see 2 nukes ever so far. Well that and the fact there are usually cheaters on both teams offsetting each other. IMO

What ends of happening is you have a cheater or 2 get 40-50 kills 10-30 deaths and only a few objective points and still lose the match to players going 20-15 k/d but have 15-25 objective points. It happens quite frequently in the matches I've played. And it really shows the poor skill set of cheaters.

They really do not have the ability to form even the basic skill set of a strategy. It has to be completely spoon feed to them or else they cheat. Cheaters don't understand how to play the game more or less even though they've played it for years. They don't understand how to create power positions in the map. They don't have the attention span to care enough to cover flags, pickup tags, cover your teams spawn point(s), cover/use flanks, etc. They have no clue what weapons are Meta. And if they do only stick to just a 1-3 of them. 2 of them are usually sniper rifles btw.

All they want to do is just rush out and find someone using their walls, etc and take them out. Regardless of what game mode it is. Which is why none TDM game modes is such a hindrance to them. They are too lazy to back out of the lobby and find a new one because it takes to long. It's all about them in a nutshell. It is all they have desire to do more or less. Real shame as they only want the instant gratification.

·
Overclocker
4,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)

The above is a prime example of what I see all the time when cheaters play DOM. They get really high scores but still lose the match. And no, they aren't trolling cheaters but closet cheaters.

Just before the match ended we were ahead 80 vs 45. That's why you see such a low count of objectives from my teammates. We held both point for over 80% of the match. It was easily going to be a complete blow out. When cheater(s) on the other team decided to "activate" their "stuffs". Now you see how the match ended. Yet ran out of time. By the time we has 95 points they had 80. Head shooting our team throughout the last minute(s) or so of the match. We won with them holding both points.

As you can see there were at least 2 cheaters. One was more agro then the other. There was one cheater who left the match once he realized it was impossible for him to win. And a random who left the match as indicative of the new players on the opposing team. Both scoring high amount of damage points do the multiple, multi kills (4-6) each. Which increases the damage score by a lot. But this happens all the time though. We win with them having ridiculous kill counts. That they seem to always want to "turn on" at the end of the match. Only after they can't take getting owned any more.

It's my opinion, that things like this will factor in their ML to determine cheating. Because it's an obvious red flag when you understand how a team losses with such high kill streaks, k/d and damage points. Multiple matches in the row.

For example, if that person always got 7000-9000 damage points regardless if they win or loss that's an obvious red flag.

·
Overclocker
4,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
They call cheaters '3rd parties'. :unsure::whistle:

Fast-forward to today, during an interview with Vice, two anonymous sources familiar with Activision's plans revealed that the company expected the leak to happen. Prior to the announcement of the anti-cheat system, they rolled out the aforementioned pre-released version and expected cheaters to leak it. This was done in order to have more advanced cheat creators bypass the first version of Ricochet so a far more robust version is created afterward.

"That will help the people that would, in any case, be able to bypass that first version. The less advanced cheaters are screwed either way as they don’t have the skills to come fight in the kernel," one of the sources said.

In other words, Activision knew that a leak of the Ricochet system was bound to happen sooner than later and is now declaring that they essentially made a honeypot for cheaters. Only time will tell whether or not this will positively affect the kernel-based driver for the upcoming release of Call of Duty: Vanguard.
Like I said, some of them knew the leak was "fishy" and it was too good to be true. Now we know it was. Looks like they are really testing the metal to see if they can actually stop cheaters. If they are mostly successful the game will actually be fun to play. As it should make sbmm moot for me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts