Overclock.net banner
21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Maybe something has changed and author changed his mind, anyway let me respond.

"the i5-8400 is widely known to be the best bang for your buck among processors at the moment. It only makes sense to go Ryzen, at that price point, if you're doing CPU-intensive tasks"

More like "it only makes sense to go Intel if you only game and use high refresh rate monitor" For 60 fps Ryzen will be enough and will suffice for longer thanks to extra threads. It's strange how everyone arguing for intel seems to be dismissing multicore performance as unnecessary feature and yet everyone seems to be playing on 144Hz monitors and needs 120 fps over 110 or something similar.

"I don't know why you actually think AM4 has a better upgrade path. Just because AMD will use that socket across three generations of processors doesn't mean the third generation will be enough of an upgrade over the first to actually warrant an upgrade."

That statement doesn't make sense regardles of circumstances. What's more likely - a better upgrade option if there is only one gen available or if there are 3 gens available?

·
Avid Memer
5,959 Posts
Maybe something has changed and author changed his mind, anyway let me respond.

"the i5-8400 is widely known to be the best bang for your buck among processors at the moment. It only makes sense to go Ryzen, at that price point, if you're doing CPU-intensive tasks"

More like "it only makes sense to go Intel if you only game and use high refresh rate monitor" For 60 fps Ryzen will be enough and will suffice for longer thanks to extra threads. It's strange how everyone arguing for intel seems to be dismissing multicore performance as unnecessary feature and yet everyone seems to be playing on 144Hz monitors and needs 120 fps over 110 or something similar.

"I don't know why you actually think AM4 has a better upgrade path. Just because AMD will use that socket across three generations of processors doesn't mean the third generation will be enough of an upgrade over the first to actually warrant an upgrade."

That statement doesn't make sense regardles of circumstances. What's more likely - a better upgrade option if there is only one gen available or if there are 3 gens available?
I'm sorry you didn't understand my point about upgrade paths being negligible. By the time you're looking to upgrade the CPU, you're more than likely going to have to replace the motherboard. I'm not sure how much more simpler I can make that. Also not sure why you decided to necro a thread where much has changed. Speaking in context of current prices, nothing beats the R5 1600. I'm sorry the landscape changed and you can't possibly fathom what the landscape might have been like seven months ago. At the time, the only reason to pass on the i5-8400 was motherboard price.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.