Overclock.net banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have MSI 980 Ti Gaming 6G card. Bought it in June. At the beginning it has zero coil whine and it was like that for few moths. Now, some time ago, coil whine appeared quite suddenly and it is still progressing and increasing with time. It was little audible for some time how, but only a bit and only during full load in games like The Witcher 3. But now I get this basically after launching whatever game.

Currently I am playing through Sherlock Holmes Crimes and Punishments, and even though GPU usage and power usage is not crossing 60%, GPU is whining (of course V-Sync on). Whine almost disappears after I set Power Target below 60%, so this is a solution for less demanding games that will run well even on 55% of GPU power, but if the game already work at around 60% power usage, why this even helps? Shouldn't GPU draw the same 60% no matter if power target is 65% or 109%? Why is power target setting affecting coil whine if it doesn't change power draw since game is already working below tweaked power target?

My PSU is Corsair CS750M. Bought it along with this GPU, no issues so far, no noise produced by PSU.

So far I tried to stress GPU in OCCT on 1000 FPS+ for about an hour because I heard people saying that it helped them, but no noticeable result. Changing 8+8pin cable and plugging it into different connection on PSU also gave no result.

I also own XFX TS 550W power supply from my previous setup, I may try to exchange PSU to see if it gives any results, but aside from that I am out of ideas.

RMA is not an option since warranty services in Poland are criminal organizations.

I understand that coil whine can appear at some point and increase with time, but if it starts to whine even in not demanding games, it is getting a bit alarming. I am specially interested in getting some answer why setting power target low works if game is already using low power. Also any suggestions what can I do are appreciated. Disassembling card is not an option of course.

Thanks for any help,

·
Programmer
28,679 Posts
From what you've described, it's highly unlikely that the GPU has developed a fault. Coil whine can appear over time and the level of noise will fluctuate in the future. Applications that are less demanding will still cause the GPU to show a whine under load.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts