Overclock.net banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay so what is the deal with comcast...

i really don't want to use their modem...

i want to use my linksys modem....

which they won't support...and this is because i don't want to pay for rental of their modem....which is a garbage modem anyways the linksys is way better and has actual firmware updates and crap...

i also wanted to setup a static ip of my modem that way i can have my debian server all ready to go....but no....they want me to upgrade to a commercial account i am like ***....

so has anybody else felt pissed off my comcast and their shenanigans!!! i am paying for a service i don't want someone telling me that i cannot use my own modem which is better and not able to have a static ip address...

i believe that all i am paying for is from the coaxial cable to the hub...i don't believe they should have say over modems routers etc...

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
ive got cox and use my own modem
lol

yea, thats part of the reason i dislike comcast :[

·
Premium Member
10,487 Posts
I have my own modem with Comcast, as to thousands of others. What model is your modem? What DOCSIS version is it? Some areas no longer support 1.0.

·
Premium Member
8,052 Posts
To solve the problem of not having a static IP, get a DynamicDNS name.

I personally use afraid.org.

As for the modem, call them and tell them that you are having problems with your Internet Connection, then try to go as high up in the tiers as possible. Then when you get to a higher tier or someone that actually sounds like they would be willing to help you, tell them that you went to replace the modem and that you went to the nearest store and swapped it out for a new one (your linksys modem). Tell them that they need to update the MAC Address, account, and local side settings and such.

This may be im-moral, but, well comcast operates the same way. Hopefully that should help you out.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hey that was what i was thinking of doing....

see if the guy talking to me on the phone can switch my registered mac address to the new modems one....

it really isn't broken but i like my linksys one alittle better....than this box sent in my comcast....

is there a way for me to mac clone my modem's mac address so that the linksys one will always show to comcast that my modem is the same one????

·
Registered
817 Posts
Do you live in fairfield or vacaville by chance? Cus I work for comcast and one of my co workers was at someones house with this problem with the linksys modem. I was in the office while he was on the phone with the dispatcher?

it was around 12 - 1pm yesterday

·
Premium Member
7,263 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by adramalech707 View Post
okay so what is the deal with comcast...

i really don't want to use their modem...

i want to use my linksys modem....

which they won't support...and this is because i don't want to pay for rental of their modem....which is a garbage modem anyways the linksys is way better and has actual firmware updates and crap...

i also wanted to setup a static ip of my modem that way i can have my debian server all ready to go....but no....they want me to upgrade to a commercial account i am like ***....

so has anybody else felt pissed off my comcast and their shenanigans!!! i am paying for a service i don't want someone telling me that i cannot use my own modem which is better and not able to have a static ip address...

i believe that all i am paying for is from the coaxial cable to the hub...i don't believe they should have say over modems routers etc...
most of the normal comcast modems keep the ip, technically i dont have static, but as long as i dont change the computer/router connected to it, my ip never expires

ALSO, comcast told me you can use your own modem, only 1 modem, more than 1 modem they charge extra
also, in order to use your modem, they have to activate it, they have to come over and call their tech center or w/e

·
Premium Member
8,052 Posts
iFresh,
TWC should allow you to switch your own modem. That being said, in the NC area, they have been experiencing huge network issues. So, if you think your modem is the cause of the issue, look at the bottom first.
You can see that here. It may take a while to load.

OP: I don't know of any MAC Clone for a Modem, I do know that Routers can do it. Please update us on your situation.

·
Banned
5,411 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by iFresh View Post
will switchin to a better modem possibly speed connetion up
It wont. The only thing it would help is connectivity and how.. Everything "feels". You won't get faster download speeds, but your latencies and ping might go down.

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Find out if your Linksys modem is DOCSIS compliant. If it is, call Comcast back and tell them they are full of it. I've known them either not know and make incorrect assumptions of even fib at times about certain things.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Use the tools at Broadbandreports.com (BBR). There you can tweak your download speeds, too. They specialize in ISP connect issues.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts