Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I'm thinking of buying a v510 but i'm not sure good is it.

for what i've seen you configure it on your pc, but what happen when you have something that is not on the list ?

i have a Sony TV - Samsung DVD - WesterdigitlaTV - Sony stereo - Chanel Decoder (and this one is my problem, looks like is an unknown brad)

So if any of you can tell me a little bit about this remotes i will appreciate !

Thnx !

·
Registered
389 Posts
I've had a Harmony One Remote for about six months and for what it does, it's handy as hell... The software connects to the harmony device database when you look up a device and, form what I could tell, damn never every IR device known to man has been entered.

Now, should you happen upon the a device that has not yet been entered into the database - such as your grandmother's first wireless remote television from the 50's - you can always "manually" learn the device... The Harmony remotes have a feature built into them that allows you to put it into "learning" mode and by pointing the device at the rear of your Harmony remote, firing off an IR signal and then mapping it to a known command/key on your harmony.

But neither of these features touch on what really makes the Harmony devices valuable and that's "Activities". Activities are recorded macros that you create based off commands from the different devices you have mapped to the remote. For example, here is a rough outline of one of my Activities.

"Watch Blue-Ray"
---
1. HDTV: LCD Power On
2. A/V Receiver: Power On
3. A/V Receiver: Tune Input To "Game/TV"
4. HDMI Switcher: Tune Channel #1
5. PS3 Nyko Blu-Wave Remote: Play
---

...someday I hope to get a couple X-10 devices put into the room so I can add a "Dim Lights" command, hehe...

My only complaint is the cost. If you have children then buy yours from a vendor that offers some kind of "oops insurance"/warranty for a reasonable fee (usually

·
Registered
389 Posts
... please ignore the fortuitous "finger quoting" above. ;-p

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by arjo_reich
View Post

But neither of these features touch on what really makes the Harmony devices valuable and that's "Activities". Activities are recorded macros that you create based off commands from the different devices you have mapped to the remote. For example, here is a rough outline of one of my Activities.

"Watch Blue-Ray"
---
1. HDTV: LCD Power On
2. A/V Receiver: Power On
3. A/V Receiver: Tune Input To "Game/TV"
4. HDMI Switcher: Tune Channel #1
5. PS3 Nyko Blu-Wave Remote: Play
---

To take this statement one step further... The "Macros" are smart. the harmony remotes use something dubed SST (Smart State Technology).. The remote knows what components are turned on and which are off... what input your AVR, or TV is on...etc. When changing from one "Activity" to another, the remote will only send the IR codes necessary to make that Activity work.. This is very handy in the case where your componets don't have "descrete" IR commands for different input functions.

I have been a supporter of the Harmony remotes... long before the company was bought by Logitech... The older remotes used to be programable through XML, but Logitech removed that functionality in the new remotes.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok, so its a great deal to buy one of this rc, should the 510 be enough ?
its 99u$s en bestbuy.

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by azt3c
View Post

ok, so its a great deal to buy one of this rc, should the 510 be enough ?
its 99u$s en bestbuy.

All of the current Harmony remotes generally perform the same functions..

The difference is the appearance/feel of the remote, whether it has a recargable battery/docking station, color LCD, included wireless extender...etc

the programing interface, and functionality of the remote itself, for the most part, is no different from model to model.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts