Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all, Just sold all of my unused headphones to fund a new guitar... And more headphones :D

I'm left with my daily drivers(modded ath1000x) and a couple other pairs for music.

But they are all open back...

WHAT I NEED : I'm after a pair of comfortable closed back for when I'm stuck in louder environments..

USE: I prefer more of a flat or high emphasis on as far as frequency response goes (HATE bass heavy cans)
Will be used mostly for movies/music and the odd game.

PRICE: Budget isn't too firm but I'd prefer to keep it under $150ish as they aren't going to be used anywhere near as much as my mains.

TLDR: flat eq, closed back, under $150

(Just sold closed: M50X, DT770, Senn HD280, K553)

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
19,845 Posts
ATH-M50X/M40X.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I didn't find them too bad on that front (also a four eye D:) But that was with new pads.
I honestly can't remember what they where like with the stock ones... Not too bad though I guess as I have those very pads on my AKG's now lol

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looking at the brainwavz HM5 .. reviews say they are bass anemic, which is what everyone said about the ATH1000x(which I love) and I have been using the pads for years...

Anyone have a reason not to order some and give them a go?

·
Premium Member
7,159 Posts
I like the fostex t40rp and they seem comfortable to me. They aren't bass heavy, but I like a decent amount of bass, so you may not want to listen to me : P

If you can increase your budget a bit, why not go with the higher end audio technica headphones? https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-A990Z-Monitor-Closed-Back-Headphones/dp/B01AYZZE24

I mean if you like the ath1000s, why not get what is essentially the closed back version of those headphones?

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I like the fostex t40rp and they seem comfortable to me. They aren't bass heavy, but I like a decent amount of bass, so you may not want to listen to me : P

If you can increase your budget a bit, why not go with the higher end audio technica headphones? https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-A990Z-Monitor-Closed-Back-Headphones/dp/B01AYZZE24

I mean if you like the ath1000s, why not get what is essentially the closed back version of those headphones?

Huzzahh!!

I somehow found no reference to these closed Audio Technica headphones at all when searching around for suggestions, therefore I didn't know they existed.

BUT... I already ordered a pair of hifimans so I am reduced to the ATH-A550Z, I will see which I prefer and ditch the other.
Always nice to have an A/B comparison while choosing anyway.

Also thanks for the Fostex suggestion I have been thinking about giving some a try for quite a while now.
But the places that ship here have super jacked up prices it seems, and the ones that have good prices don't ship here.. lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts