Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I put someone On ignore I usually goto there profile and read a few pages of their posts and check the topics they start to see if what quirked me was an aberration (we all go off the handle at times:))

But, every so often I will "show ignored" post and decide to recheck to see if they have improved to an acceptable level from just noise. Or if I see they have been helping people.

But herein lies the issue, I sometimes fail to remember the reason that I put them on ignore (especially if they haven't posted in so long I even forget their Moniker). So I would either like a field to place a note to myself why I did it or maybe a better Idea would be having a link button to the post I placed them on ignore for.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts
Knowing this place as well as I do, I would say that this will never happen. Or if they do decide to consider it, it could be years before it's ever even tried. So what I recommend is keeping a Notepad document or a Wordpad document (for formatting and thus improved readability).

·
Premium Member
10,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post

Knowing this place as well as I do, I would say that this will never happen. Or if they do decide to consider it, it could be years before it's ever even tried. So what I recommend is keeping a Notepad document or a Wordpad document (for formatting and thus improved readability).
Yeah, your right but one can dream!
biggrin.gif

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueristic View Post

Yeah, your right but one can dream!
biggrin.gif
hehehehe indeed we can. :)

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Why not start a topic? An "I Put This Person On My Ignore List Because" topic? This would be exceedingly interesting.

At any rate, you certainly put in quite a bit of effort for something so seemingly trivial.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackVenom View Post

Why not start a topic? An "I Put This Person On My Ignore List Because" topic? This would be exceedingly interesting.
A thread like that would never be allowed to exist on here.

Quote:

At any rate, you certainly put in quite a bit of effort for something so seemingly trivial.
I have to admit Hueristic, I agree. Why not just add a person to your Block list and then forget that they even exist?

·
Premium Member
10,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

I have to admit Hueristic, I agree. Why not just add a person to your Block list and then forget that they even exist?
Because on this site (specifically) I believe there are alot of adolescents that should be allowed to grow up, why ignore them forever?

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts
Quote:

Because on this site (specifically) I believe there are alot of adolescents that should be allowed to grow up, why ignore them forever?
Suit yourself, but that goes way beyond my reason for being here. It's almost like you're feeling a need to be a parent to these kids or something.

·
Premium Member
10,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Suit yourself, but that goes way beyond my reason for being here. It's almost like you're feeling a need to be a parent to these kids or something.
Lol, Parents don't put their children on ignore until they mature, at least good ones don't. My reason for being here was always to help. I joined after I got laid up and was not able to work and needed something I could do to pass the time and joining various communities did just that. But as your time gets shorter you see the need to spend it wisely and there really is no better way than to pass on what you've learned through life to the next generation. If nothing else than maybe they will not make the same mistakes you did.

Well anyway a simple site request seems to have changed into a commentary on why I am even here. Lol

We all have our reasons and as this has not even got a response from a Mod I think we can let the thread die.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
Quote:

Nope, that will put too many people on the spot and would provoke a witch hunt calling out people for subjective reasons for putting them on ignore.

·
Premium Member
10,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boinz View Post

Nope, that will put too many people on the spot and would provoke a witch hunt calling out people for subjective reasons for putting them on ignore.
Correct, it would have an opposite effect than what I am looking for.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts
All you have to do is keep a text document on your computer. I SINCERELY believe that they will never even consider adding this for you. This would have to be quite worth their time and effort, and I would say that it's not because you could just as easily keep a document on your computer that accomplishes the same thing. I mean, if it's really that important to you, then it would be easy. Personally, the only people that end up on my Block List are people that deserve to be banned - and pretty much always DO end up being banned sooner or later.

I'm not about to start wasting my time putting people on ignore for trivial reasons and then occasionally checking their posts to see if they have improved. That is a huge waste of time. If someone does something that makes me put them on my Block List, then that's it; they're there to stay. Why should I care about them from that point forward? Why should I spend any more of my time and energy on them? If I see one of their posts, then I look the other way. I'm not interested to see if they're changing or growing up or anything; that's their own business. I have my own life to manage.

In other words, this would be 100% useless to me. Why should I ever care why I blocked someone?

·
Premium Member
10,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:

All you have to do is keep a text document on your computer. I SINCERELY believe that they will never even consider adding this for you. This would have to be quite worth their time and effort, and I would say that it's not because you could just as easily keep a document on your computer that accomplishes the same thing. I mean, if it's really that important to you, then it would be easy. Personally, the only people that end up on my Block List are people that deserve to be banned - and pretty much always DO end up being banned sooner or later.

I'm not about to start wasting my time putting people on ignore for trivial reasons and then occasionally checking their posts to see if they have improved. That is a huge waste of time. If someone does something that makes me put them on my Block List, then that's it; they're there to stay. Why should I care about them from that point forward? Why should I spend any more of my time and energy on them? If I see one of their posts, then I look the other way. I'm not interested to see if they're changing or growing up or anything; that's their own business. I have my own life to manage.

In other words, this would be 100% useless to me. Why should I ever care why I blocked someone?
Yes, there is always more ways to skin a cat. And I can only assume that you do not frequent many different boards where maintaining a document would quickly become a chore.

It was a simple request not worthy of a prolonged debate.

Just because this would not be useful to you has no bearing on whether it is a feature that would be beneficial, there are many features I have no use for. Our different methods of using the ignore feature is not pertinent to the discussion and our time constraints are, I'm sure vastly different.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts
Quote:

Yes, there is always more ways to skin a cat. And I can only assume that you do not frequent many different boards where maintaining a document would quickly become a chore.

It was a simple request not worthy of a prolonged debate.

Just because this would not be useful to you has no bearing on whether it is a feature that would be beneficial, there are many features I have no use for. Our different methods of using the ignore feature is not pertinent to the discussion and our time constraints are, I'm sure vastly different.
Well guess what: you're the only one who wants this. So, do you think they will add this just for you?

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
Quote:

Well guess what: you're the only one who wants this. So, do you think they will add this just for you?
Well want is a strong word, I certainly would "like" it and would find it convinient, but it wouldn't mess my experience on the sub if the feature wasn't implemented or available.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boinz View Post

Well want is a strong word, I certainly would "like" it and would find it convinient, but it wouldn't mess my experience on the sub if the feature wasn't implemented or available.
My doubt that they will ever do it (assuming that it's even possible) stems from more than just a lack of demand and interest. You see, we're a very low priority for Wikia Gaming (as if that weren't already obvious). I know that this sounds like speculation, but this is something a high-level OCN staff member told me, but I won't reveal who it is unless they are ok with that.

·
I might have tacos tonite
22,339 Posts
Quote:

Our different methods of using the ignore feature is not pertinent to the discussion
How do you figure that? That's one of the most pertinent things to the discussion... if the topic is a suggestion on adding something to the ignore feature, how people use the feature now, and how the change would help (or not) with how they use it is the main thing to discuss
tongue.gif

I don't use the ignore feature myself, but I can't think of any reason a comment field would be detrimental- it's just a matter of if it's worth the limited development time available. If it was an option they already coded for another website, then by all means throw it on.

·
Premium Member
10,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy9000 View Post

How do you figure that? That's one of the most pertinent things to the discussion... if the topic is a suggestion on adding something to the ignore feature, how people use the feature now, and how the change would help (or not) with how they use it is the main thing to discuss
tongue.gif

I don't use the ignore feature myself, but I can't think of any reason a comment field would be detrimental- it's just a matter of if it's worth the limited development time available. If it was an option they already coded for another website, then by all means throw it on.
Since you don't use it now, would the addition of that field make you more prone to use it? You obviously have a much higher tolerance to troll (fanboi) posts than I.
tongue.gif

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts
Quote:

Since you don't use it now, would the addition of that field make you more prone to use it? You obviously have a much higher tolerance to troll (fanboi) posts than I.
tongue.gif
I can't resist giving you my own answer to this question: the only way I'd be more likely to use the Block feature is if it would make the other user seem to disappear from all existence, meaning I wouldn't be able to see any evidence of any of their posts (unless, of course, someone Quoted them). I hate Blocking someone because I can still see the hidden posts sitting there, tempting me to look just to see what else the idiot has said. Y'know? I'd rather make the person go away completely. In my mind, that's what "Block" means.

·
Premium Member
10,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Quote:

I can't resist giving you my own answer to this question: the only way I'd be more likely to use the Block feature is if it would make the other user seem to disappear from all existence, meaning I wouldn't be able to see any evidence of any of their posts (unless, of course, someone Quoted them). I hate Blocking someone because I can still see the hidden posts sitting there, tempting me to look just to see what else the idiot has said. Y'know? I'd rather make the person go away completely. In my mind, that's what "Block" means.
ROTFL! you almost made me lose my coffee! Yeah I hear ya!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts