Overclock.net banner

If you had to choose right now between having dual cards forever or a single card forever, which wou

• Multi-card solutions will be worth it!

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • SLI and CFX are dead, DirectX 12 Multiadapter will never catch on, Single card for me

Votes: 10 66.7%
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems like more and more games don't support multi-card solutions now days and DirectX 12 Multiadapter technology is all on the game devs to implement so we will see lots of games for a long time that don't support it. If you had to choose and commit today, which would you choose? WHY??

·
Registered
699 Posts
I've tried Xfire years back with a pair of 5870's to limited success, and have done SLI 780's more recently with the same limited success. For me, it comes down to a comparison between convenience, cost, and performance, and everyone's levels of value in those categories is subjective. I found that having to rely on developers to specifically support it is frustrating. The performance gains were not regularly enough for me to justify the frustration and expense of a dual card setup.

When it works, it works great. . . . when it works.

For me, a single card is just simpler and still gets the job done.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear907 View Post

I've tried Xfire years back with a pair of 5870's to limited success, and have done SLI 780's more recently with the same limited success. For me, it comes down to a comparison between convenience, cost, and performance, and everyone's levels of value in those categories is subjective. I found that having to rely on developers to specifically support it is frustrating. The performance gains were not regularly enough for me to justify the frustration and expense of a dual card setup.

When it works, it works great. . . . when it works.

For me, a single card is just simpler and still gets the job done.
I have had dual GTX 460's and dual HD 6950's. They were intermediate times when I could not yet afford one large card and I don't miss having to deal with it like you have said. I hope some dual card die hards comment their opinions.

·
Registered
680 Posts
With full gaming at 1440p on a high Hz monitor with G-synch or Freesync with the latest graphic intensive game, no doubt in it, you need 2 cards, even the 1080's. Its still a play around of the type of the game and settings on the one card, so it really depends what kind of gaming rig you want to your gaming style.

·
Registered
51 Posts
The way i see it is that multi GPU is going the way of the dodo. What about lack of any form of SLI or Crossfire in DX12 games, and as well in general, i sense a lack of interest in SLI with upcoming games. Anyway, DX12/Vulkan is the future and if no devs implement multi GPU, since it is up to the devs now instead of Nvidia/AMD, isnt the second card a paperweight ?

I will get a 1080 and i am considering a second 1080, but i most likely wont because of lack of support. Take for example a DX11 game i play a lot, Black Desert which has gorgeous graphics. SLI with maxwell and kepler according to benchmarks gives +30% scaling at most, because it uses a generic profile, not one Nvidia made for it. I have no idea if pascal will even work in SLI for that game , so it could be even worse than a 25% boost.

Also even multi GPU gets supported in the future in DX12, and that is a big if knowing how lazy devs are these days, by that time we would get new big die cards from Nvidia and AMD with HBM2, being 40%+ faster than 1080 and making a 1080 SLI setup dead on arrival as it would be better to purchase a single 1080 now and then a 1080 ti when it appears on the market.

As another example take Quantum Break, a big budget game supported by Microsoft all the way through as a showpiece for DX12. They said that multi GPU is "out of scope". *** ?, how is that supporting PC gaming ? Yeah i know, it's a console port, the PC game being an after thought. Another is Forza 6, a DX12 game that will release soon, mGPU is not supported. when will it be ? 1 year ? never ?

I remember an year ago all the people getting excited about stacking VRAM, where the VRAM on all cards in mGPU adds together. Haha, the damn mGPU doesn't even work, let alone such a feature. Well lazy Microsoft and devs, please do more work and less talk.

Any thoughts on how wise is to invest in mGPU at this point for new games ?

·
Overclocking Enthusiast
11,378 Posts
Let me answer this million dollar question tactfully in just a few words so that all the technical advantages aren't being thrown about by people as if we didn't know they existed...

The market just isn't there.

·
Banned
2,899 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo_Morpheus View Post

With full gaming at 1440p on a high Hz monitor with G-synch or Freesync with the latest graphic intensive game, no doubt in it, you need 2 cards, even the 1080's.
not really no, on 1440p you do not

unless you expect to have 1440p @ 120-144 fps in ALL games, even heavy singleplayer ones on ultra

if you "settle" for 60+ fps in single graphics intensive and 120-144 for multiplayer shooters/MOBAs then a single card suffices @ 1440p, a single 1080 certainly is more then enough

for 4K yes you need multi GPU to max out but hopefully HBM2 flagships will fix that

·
New001
2,668 Posts
I like SLI, I've run an SLI setup for the last 2 years or so and it's served me well. I also can see the issues with it, and have encountered games where I have to make compromises or play with settings for 10 mins to get things looking OK.
I voted for Multi-card, but now I'm starting to doubt it. I remember a while back when I faced an issue with the SLI setup, I vowed I would upgrade my gfx twice as often, and stick to single card setups, instead of the major upgrade and having to wait a lot longer for the upgrade.
I'd probably still go SLI in the future just to see whats up, provided I had the spare coin lying around
smile.gif

·
Registered
731 Posts
SLI isn't really a value option, I'd pick a faster single GPU every time. So for those who want two of the fastest cards it can bring extra oomph, but you gotta accept the fact that scaling won't be 2x, and a lot of games will have no scaling at all, and some will have issues like flickering. With DX12 coming, at this moment it's even worse since none of those seem to bother with SLI support.

It's going to be interesting to see what the devs make out of DX12 multiGPU options, but I'd wager most multiplat devs just don't care about SLI support, and they're using more and more engine techniques that aren't compatible with AFR type multiGPU.

I think Raja Koduri was implying that in the future they'd make multiGPU cards to get extra performance instead of making massive chips, but I just don't see how that would work out, unless consoles adopt that strategy and devs are forced to program for such a multiGPU system.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I also forgot to mention that UE4 does not support multi GPU, and lots of UE4 games will be coming soon, it looks that everybody's mother and their dog is making a game with this engine now.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngEviL View Post

I also forgot to mention that UE4 does not support multi GPU, and lots of UE4 games will be coming soon, it looks that everybody's mother and their dog is making a game with this engine now.
REALLY?! I didn't know this. that is deeply saddening.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by andydabeast View Post

I have had dual GTX 460's and dual HD 6950's. They were intermediate times when I could not yet afford one large card and I don't miss having to deal with it like you have said. I hope some dual card die hards comment their opinions.
I've been running dual 770s for 2.5 years, and dual 550tis for 1.5 years before that.

My opinion- I've had exactly 1 issue with SLI, and that was strike suit zero has color corruption issues. That was fixed relatively quickly.

but here's the thing. On principal, I do not buy games at launch. I usually want a month or so, but if the game has day 1 DLC (as many do now) I wait for all the DLC to come out and buy the GOTY or collectors edition for $40-60 with all the DLC. As a result, whenever I actually get around to play a game, SLI scaling has long been implemented and the bugs fixed, except for games that dont support dual-GPU (id tech 5 games, for example) and indie games, which usually dont need SLI to run at 60FPS.

It's also fun to run [email protected] with dual GPUs+CPU. Makes a great space heater in the winder months. Sadly, with my Mobo currently dead in the water, I cant run SLI. Currently limping along with a second hand micro-atx board waiting for Zen to come out, and will either build a new zen rig or new kaby lake rig, depending on how well zen does.

I'm also holing out on judging DX12 just yet. We only have a few early DX12 games to look at. 2-3 years from now, when DX12 is more mature, then we can look and see if SLI is truly dead. Same goes for UE4. After all, UE3 did not natively support AA, yet most games on UE3 have an AA option. SLI support may be added in later, or the dev's themselves will make SLI work in conjunction with nvidia. While SLI may only be 2% of the market, i'd bet they make up a much larger portion of the market that plays big AAA games, considering a large portion of the low end market specifically plays games like MOBAs and free-tp-play MMOs.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevChelios View Post

Quote:

With full gaming at 1440p on a high Hz monitor with G-synch or Freesync with the latest graphic intensive game, no doubt in it, you need 2 cards, even the 1080's.
not really no, on 1440p you do not

unless you expect to have 1440p @ 120-144 fps in ALL games, even heavy singleplayer ones on ultra

if you "settle" for 60+ fps in single graphics intensive and 120-144 for multiplayer shooters/MOBAs then a single card suffices @ 1440p, a single 1080 certainly is more then enough

for 4K yes you need multi GPU to max out but hopefully HBM2 flagships will fix that
3 x 1440p monitor setups and 3440x1440p monitors and even single monitors are still going to struggle on 1 card on some of the settings to get up to the 100 fps+ in some of the games and one's yet to be released. I do hope dx12 will give some extra room to play with. I think that's what the selling point is in going with a 1080 sli, Nvidia at it again, reading the monitor market like a book.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:

3 x 1440p monitor setups and 3440x1440p monitors and even single monitors are still going to struggle on 1 card on some of the settings to get up to the 100 fps+ in some of the games and one's yet to be released. I do hope dx12 will give some extra room to play with. I think that's what the selling point is in going with a 1080 sli, Nvidia at it again, reading the monitor market like a book.
Going over 100fps and over 1440p at the same time yea any single card will struggle. That crowd is an extreme minority though.

·
Registered
313 Posts
My crystal ball has been failing me. DX12 looks mostly bad for multicard putting that into the hands of developers is bad news. DX11 console ports have been very mixed of late new rendering techniques are making scaling problematic. But a lot of DX11 games are still scaling and games I play regularly scale exceptionally well and still can't be maxed out on 2x 970's so more performance is necessary than a single 1080. Its a difficult call to make, the future of multicard isn't obvious in the coming year. Could be great and the recent DX11 scaling issues are temporary or it could be the new way of things, a few games do not make a trend but they could make the beginning of one. Then there is VR where 0 out of 100s of games support multicard currently, some of which really need more performance. So much of the performance in VR is going to depend on propriety APIs from Nvidia and AMD and I just can't see SLI being implemented via gameworks/VRworks very often unless its baked into Unity and unreal tournament engines which it isn't currently and I doubt most developers like that idea anyway.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts