Overclock.net banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
501 - 520 of 594 Posts

·
Mouse addict
796 Posts
I would've expected the HTML clean-up to be done by now at least, but alas it looks like there is nobody working on it as there is no way something as mundane as this could take this much time.

·
Overclocker in training
14,315 Posts
Hrm seems something with ublock doesn't like that thread in particular. Off I can post but on I get the same unusable button as thrashzone
Hi,
Okay that's weird lol
I've noticed different threads have additional sludge in them ublock shows but may or may not block
One was an avast listing that wasn't blocked but I added to my block filters it's kind of what I wanted to add to that thread but posted it here instead.

·
Administrator
13,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #503 ·
There has been plenty of work going on behind the scenes and we have been keeping the mod team updated.

A quick snapshot:

• BB Code and HTML clean up
  • Rigbuilder refinement
  • URL redirects
  • Development of Rep system
  • Permissions tweaks
  • Recruiting of Authors to develop homepage feature articles

One of the most recent fixes:
Overclock was migrated and as a result the URLs were not rendering images as expected. This made it difficult for users to view jpgs/png files, and view the image page.
Issue: Photopost, /g/, and /gallery/image/view/id/ URLs not rendering as expected.
Resolution: Photopost is now rendering .jpgs/.pngs, /g/, and /gallery/image/view/id/ URLs now display the image page.

Jeff M

·
Overclocker in training
14,315 Posts
There has been plenty of work going on behind the scenes and we have been keeping the mod team updated.

A quick snapshot:

• Rigbuilder refinement
  • URL redirects
  • Permissions tweaks
Overclock was migrated and as a result the URLs were not rendering images as expected. This made it difficult for users to view jpgs/png files, and view the image page.
Issue: Photopost, /g/, and /gallery/image/view/id/ URLs not rendering as expected.
Resolution: Photopost is now rendering .jpgs/.pngs, /g/, and /gallery/image/view/id/ URLs now display the image page.

Jeff M
Hi,
Yeah you guys need to kill/ stop using that stupid player.

On another note a lot of prior hyperlinks/ bookmarks too and in old thread posts to other posts in threads are working now (y)

·
Tactical Moron
2,557 Posts

A quick snapshot:

• Rigbuilder refinement
  • URL redirects
  • Permissions tweaks

Jeff M
sooooo... when is the landing page going to get fixed, 2022 or 2023? :unsure: :giggle: At least the recommended reading is getting closer to something someone would actually come here for instead of recommending posts from 2011... at first it was so bad my cat could crap on the keyboard and come up with something more relevant to today's topics...

·
Administrator
13,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #506 ·
sooooo... when is the landing page going to get fixed, 2022 or 2023? :unsure: :giggle: At least the recommended reading is getting closer to something someone would actually come here for instead of recommending posts from 2011... at first it was so bad my cat could crap on the keyboard and come up with something more relevant to today's topics...
Most likely Q1 2021 after additional redesigns, maybe sooner.

The article intelligence needs time to learn and additional improvements coming to downrank threads that are very dated.

Jeff M

·
Mouse addict
796 Posts
Noticed something rather curious. It's about these two threads:
razer viper ultimate internal pics/technical info

Click Latencies compiled

I remember very well that the OPs used to have much more content pre-migration. The first thread had several paragraphs about Logitech wireless, including MouseTester plots etc., which are nowhere to be found now. The second thread had a huge table which included all the tested mice. Unfortunately I don't have an archive link or anything of the like to prove there's content missing, but maybe the pre-migration versions are still archived internally, so you could compare those. Of course there's also a chance I misremember, but I'm 95% sure stuff is missing, especially in the first thread (where OP was edited several times to feature additional content).

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Most likely Q1 2021 after additional redesigns, maybe sooner.

The article intelligence needs time to learn and additional improvements coming to downrank threads that are very dated.

Jeff M
You know, you could just jettison your useless algorithm and let "human intelligence" decide the most relevant and interesting news threads to users on the landing page - like how this site operated for 16 years. Or you could just continue to let it recommend threads that no ones cares about with the accompanying decrease in user participation. I chuckle at how low the "current online users" numbers have been since the migration. Almost always <90 people now, usually around 80, but I've seen as low as 60. I remember just a few years ago before the VS buyout when it'd sit at 300-400 users nearly all the time.

The best part is, your "article intelligence" just appears to more ore less recommend the 1st or 2nd most recently replied to thread in the various sub-forums (even on different device, with a different IP address with cookies and cache cleared). Absolutely genius, ground-breaking work there. Your "article intelligence" is being trained to do esentially do the exact same thing the old landing page did automatically. Except not nearly as good, because there still isn't a dedicated "News" section.

I can't even began to imagine how many man-hours you guys have completed wasted on that useless bit of code. Programming time you could have put to actually giving this site an eye-pleasing and unique style. I can't wait until you roll the "card view" out next year that will identical to the "card view" you'll be rolling out on every other site. There might be a whole 30 or 40 active users left by then to enjoy the "Unique OCN experience" that will be identical to the 700 other forums you operate ;)

·
Administrator
13,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #509 ·
Noticed something rather curious. It's about these two threads:
razer viper ultimate internal pics/technical info

Click Latencies compiled

I remember very well that the OPs used to have much more content pre-migration. The first thread had several paragraphs about Logitech wireless, including MouseTester plots etc., which are nowhere to be found now. The second thread had a huge table which included all the tested mice. Unfortunately I don't have an archive link or anything of the like to prove there's content missing, but maybe the pre-migration versions are still archived internally, so you could compare those. Of course there's also a chance I misremember, but I'm 95% sure stuff is missing, especially in the first thread (where OP was edited several times to feature additional content).
The first thread has spoilers in it that can click to view.

The second one is still waiting for the HTML cleanup that I referenced that is still in progress per above.

They could have also edited the posts or removed content.

Jeff M

·
Waiting for 7nm EUV
11,540 Posts
It's been more than a month now since the transition and this aberration on the front page is still there:

This community was founded in Canada by Admin in 2004, not 2002. More specifically, March 21st, 2004 (see again here for further confirmation). If something as easy as ditching the code that is looking up the wrong date somewhere and replacing it with a static "2004" is taking this long, then I cannot logically expect much from a management that doesn't even respect the site's history.

Absolutely nothing changed. Not one bit of dedication to this site in particular was spent. Everything is done in batches to be applied in tandem to the hundreds of sites that they own. The only thing they did was change the theme from red to non OCN blue - which they had already developed prior to the transition anyway per their own admission.

·
Overclocker in training
14,315 Posts
The first thread has spoilers in it that can click to view.

The second one is still waiting for the HTML cleanup that I referenced that is still in progress per above.

They could have also edited the posts or removed content.

Jeff M
Hi,
This monthly counter does not reset it just keeps counting into the next month lol

·
Amiga 500
3,682 Posts
Posts at offtopic threads are still being added to the overall post count,and REP button is still enabled too- try and look at it

·
Newsfiend
2,435 Posts
Posts at offtopic threads are still being added to the overall post count,and REP button is still enabled too- try and look at it
They've said before the current "rep" system is virtually meaningless and nothing acrued during this transition time will be carried over.

·
Banned
1,957 Posts

·
Overclocker in training
14,315 Posts
They've said before the current "rep" system is virtually meaningless and nothing acrued during this transition time will be carried over.
Hi,
That's not true it's no different than it was before this switch
Button says rep+ dude

Only difference is it's in clear sight and not hidden behind a dumb flame and people are announced who used it on a post.
So why is the count not being caried over really
Past was also just a like redesigned into a flame icon that I could flame icon any ones post history over and over until my fingers bleed lol

·
Administrator
13,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #516 ·
It's been more than a month now since the transition and this aberration on the front page is still there:

View attachment 2461804

This community was founded in Canada by Admin in 2004, not 2002. More specifically, March 21st, 2004 (see again here for further confirmation). If something as easy as ditching the code that is looking up the wrong date somewhere and replacing it with a static "2004" is taking this long, then I cannot logically expect much from a management that doesn't even respect the site's history.

Absolutely nothing changed. Not one bit of dedication to this site in particular was spent. Everything is done in batches to be applied in tandem to the hundreds of sites that they own. The only thing they did was change the theme from red to non OCN blue - which they had already developed prior to the transition anyway per their own admission.
The work to recode the founding date would take away from other development and we have bigger fish to fry at the moment. It is a low priority fix and not just a quick edit of a field.

There has been plenty of work going on behind the scenes with the development team and Enterprise.

Also see this post: Community Feedback- We Are Live!

Jeff M

·
Overclocker in training
14,315 Posts

·
Overclocker in training
14,315 Posts
Hi,
That's not true it's no different than it was before this switch
Button says rep+ dude

Only difference is it's in clear sight and not hidden behind a dumb flame and people are announced who used it on a post.
So why is the count not being caried over really
Past was also just a like redesigned into a flame icon that I could flame icon any ones post history over and over until my fingers bleed lol
Hi,
Besides the above
Who's the brainiac that hid the report option behind the three dots lol

·
Not new to Overclock.net
2,954 Posts
I've just noticed there were changes made, now the subscriptions page doesn't scale well at low horizontal resolutions. I realize not many people will have this issue nowadays (my setup is 3 screens at 900x1600), but it'll be nice if the minimum width of the page name column is reduced a bit.

501 - 520 of 594 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.