Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my sisters GA-K8NSC-939 mobo died today so gotta her something new.

I wanna keep it around the $400 (AUS) mark because all she really does is burn dvds/surf internet/msn/sometimes plays games like age of empires etc. She only needs a CPU/RAM/MOBO/PSU/GFX.

Here is what I put down. Anything I should change?

E2200 $108
4G Kit-800(2x2G) Kingston $67
G-B EP31-DS3L $113
SHAW 550W $22
9400GT $65

$375

I will probably overclock that E2200 to around 3GHz just for the kicks.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by linskingdom
View Post

E2200 should be able to do 3G on that P31 board but don't know the load temp. Don't let the load temp go over 72c. Get a good read of load temp. Try it first. If it is too hot, an after market cooler will help.

Yep cheers, ill keep that in mind.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,940 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by shredzy View Post
Well my sisters GA-K8NSC-939 mobo died today so gotta her something new.

I wanna keep it around the $400 (AUS) mark because all she really does is burn dvds/surf internet/msn/sometimes plays games like age of empires etc. She only needs a CPU/RAM/MOBO/PSU/GFX.

Here is what I put down. Anything I should change?

E2200 $108
G-B EP31-DS3L $113
SHAW 550W $22
9400GT $65

$375

I will probably overclock that E2200 to around 3GHz just for the kicks.
I would say that perhaps a higher quality brand of Power Supply would be a great choice, and the most power you will need for this system is maybe 400-450W, even overclocked. Here are what I think of as the best power supply brands (taken directly from Newegg in alphabetical order):
  • Corsair Memory, Inc ("Corsair")
  • Enermax
  • PC Power & Cooling
  • SeaSonic USA ("Seasonic")
  • Silverstone
If you buy a 400-450W from any of these manufacturers, then you can't go wrong (especially if you buy an Enermax PSU, from what I hear).

Also, if you really do overclock it, then definitely get some decent aftermarket cooling.

Regarding overclocking this CPU, here's Intel's Processor Spec Finder page on this one: http://processorfinder.intel.com/det...px?sSpec=SLA8X

Notice that the VID Voltage Range is 1.162V-1.312V. As you may or may not know, most "newer" 65nm's (such as the E2160, E2180, E6750, or the Q6600) have a VID Voltage Range that goes up to 1.5V. And as you know, people usually say to try avoiding bringing the voltage over 1.5v for every-day use with these kind of chips. People generally say the same thing about the E8400, except they say don't go over 1.3625V for every-day use, and the E8400's VID Voltage Range goes up to 1.3625V.

So, considering that the E2200's VID Voltage Range is more limited, be extra careful.

Also notice that the Thermal Specification says 73.3°C. But click on it, and you'll find that it says this:

Quote:
Thermal Specification: The thermal specification shown is the maximum case temperature at the maximum Thermal Design Power (TDP) value for that processor. It is measured at the geometric center on the topside of the processor integrated heat spreader. For processors without integrated heat spreaders such as mobile processors, the thermal specification is referred to as the junction temperature (Tj). The maximum junction temperature is defined by an activation of the processor Intel® Thermal Monitor. The Intel Thermal Monitor's automatic mode is used to indicate that the maximum TJ has been reached.
And because the TDP was mentioned:

Quote:
Thermal Design Power: (Also referred to as Thermal Guideline) The maximum amount of heat which a thermal solution must be able to dissipate from the processor so that the processor will operate under normal operating conditions.
Notice that it says that the Thermal Specification is measured at the geometric center on the topside of the processor integrated heat spreader. This is the same place where we apply the thermal paste. So, if the temperature were to get to 73.3°C on the top of the CPU's IHS, then how hot are the cores?

So, anyway, all of this means that, as we increase the voltage and clocks, we increase the Thermal Design Power. And as we increase the TDP, we simultaneously decrease the Thermal Specification. Unfortunately, I don't know the rate at which it changes while we adjust the voltage and the clocks.

But, I suppose this is why we say that, as a general rule, try to keep the core temps under 70°C (in this case, using Core Temp) when running a stress test with something like Orthos running its Small FFTs test (the maximum temperature is usually reached after around 10 minutes).

• Rep+
Reactions: shredzy

·
Registered
33 Posts
I would advice you to get an 9600gt. It's a lot stronger than an 9400gt and I imagine you can find it under 100$ these days.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,940 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by HBZ View Post
I would advice you to get an 9600gt. It's a lot stronger than an 9400gt and I imagine you can find it under 100$ these days.
I agree. And actually, I was really debating on whether or not to suggest it. But, now that it's been suggested, I hereby add it to my suggestions on what to change.

·
I like computers
7,546 Posts
Here man, a nice $400 build for you.

·
I like computers
7,546 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ALiShaikh View Post
Thats U.S Prices, he is in Australia
Ouch, sorry OP. Guess it's going to cost quite a bit more for that build then.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
cheers for the replies guys, and wow nice post twocables

With the gfx card it doesn't have to be amazing, she doesn't game alot.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,940 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by shredzy
View Post

You're welcome. hehe

And if the 9600 GT maxes out all of your games, and if you think of her gaming as less than what you do, then well yeah: a 9400 GT is just right!

·
Banned
3,945 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Yeah and it's not like she would care about video settings.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoCables
View Post

You're welcome. hehe

And if the 9600 GT maxes out all of your games, and if you think of her gaming as less than what you do, then well yeah: a 9400 GT is just right!

Yea, she rarely plays games. And they aren't graphic intensive really. Mainly its just msn/surfing net.

I might get her the 9500GT 512MB, its the same price.

EDIT: The E5200 is the same price as the e2200 :S

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,940 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Yea, she rarely plays games. And they aren't graphic intensive really. Mainly its just msn/surfing net.

I might get her the 9500GT 512MB, its the same price.

EDIT: The E5200 is the same price as the e2200 :S

hehehe you'd better quit while you've made some decisions, or you may end up going further than you just did there.

But yeah, get the 9500 GT 512MB since it's the same price!

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoCables
View Post

hehehe you'd better quit while you've made some decisions, or you may end up going further than you just did there.

But yeah, get the 9500 GT 512MB since it's the same price!

Ok this is what I got down.

E5200 $108
G-B EP31-DS3L $113
SHAW 600W $22
9500GT 512MB $78

What to do with the PSU?

EDIT: Changed it for a 430W Thermaltake

·
Registered
487 Posts
Quote:

View Post

E5200 $108
G-B EP31-DS3L $113
SHAW 600W $22
9500GT 512MB $78

What to do with the PSU?

Good choices IMO! That E5200 should be able to OC like a beast too! Hope she enjoys it! Looks good sir!

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,940 Posts
Quote:

View Post

E5200 $108
G-B EP31-DS3L $113
SHAW 600W $22
9500GT 512MB $78

What to do with the PSU?

Nice PSU choice because Thermaltake isn't exactly a small company.

But, how much more are you willing to spend on a PSU now that everything else is settled?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts