Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm relatively new to to OCN so I've decided to post my case modifications.

Unfortunately I forgot to take some before/after photos, so the stock photos were found through Google when I searched for Compaq Deskpro EN.

Ended up with a free case on garbage day, so I decided I'd try my luck at modding my first case.

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

I have yet to cut a side window and place it in.

Little bit of dim lighting to show off the Christmas lights I picked up at Menard's for $5.

You can see my quick job of inserting the card reader. I ended up using masking tape to hold it in place. I also transferred the front panel that came with my "old" case. I drilled holes through the removable faceplate and hot glued the headphone jack, and USB ports in place.

I also taped the case stickers on (just in case I swap cases again).

My attempt at getting better airflow was to throw in a few fans I had laying around. I cut a few holes (one is hidden in the front behind the grill-like thing). I also raised the case a bit with some cork feet.

This is the fan behind the grill, drawing more air inward. You can also see my smallest HDD hangin' around.

Cost of this case:

Fans (pulled from old servers) - $0
Case (garbage picked) - $0
Lighting - $5
Pumpkin Orange Krylon - $3/can X2
Glue/Tape - <$1

Total - approx. $12

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by tbone92 View Post
Haha! That's awesome. Looks really cool too.
Well, thank you. I suppose I need to find something else to do with the free time on my hands.
Naw...

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmlclone View Post
You the man.
Thats the heaviest (quality) case ever. lol
Good sound insulation, supposing.

Best re-cycling man.
It weighs 37.3 lbs, which can be annoying to move.

The sound is quite bad without a window installed. When I'm looking for some quiet, I just lean an old beige case side cover on that side. Then it's not too back unless I crank up all the fans.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghettogeddy View Post
ya came out great i might have to do somethign like that to my old gateway case i have my backup rig in lol
Do it, it's definitely worth the satisfaction. I get to see this sweet orange thing on my desk and say, "I made that."

American TV, an electronics store up in Da UP of MI does this e-cycling thing. People bring in all kinds of old electronics to be recycled there. I inquired about the fate of the electronics, and they told me that they just get sent away to get "e-cycled." So now, every week, they're going to call me to check out their stock of old parts before it gets sent out to the plant. WINNER!

So... If anyone wants a case like this for really cheap, lemme know. I'll make them out of the cases they have, but I don't have the money to pack them full of components.

·
Chackie Jan
3,226 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SmasherBasher View Post
Ditch the front stickers. Otherwise it's great

I agree but that's just my/our opinion. Some people like stickers some don't. Orange is my favorite color so it looks good regardless. I'm not too fond of the feet either but you were on a budget so I can't blame you. They get the job done.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by NoGuru View Post
Hey that looks great, and thanks for saving the planet fellow Michigander! reps
Haha, saving the planet... I suppose it's a little less of a footprint I'm leaving, but take into consideration that I'm running 2 monitors, a 600W PSU, 7 fans... well you get the picture.

I DO shut my computer down when I'm not at it, unlike most people.

Quote:

Ditch the front stickers. Otherwise it's great

Yeah... They came free with my mobo and CPU. Reppin' Asus and AMD!

Quote:

Originally Posted by K10 View Post
I agree but that's just my/our opinion. Some people like stickers some don't. Orange is my favorite color so it looks good regardless. I'm not too fond of the feet either but you were on a budget so I can't blame you. They get the job done.
I love the feet! Found them in a box of crafts and stuff. I originally just hot glued them to the bottom, but the cork made this awful squeaking/screeching sound when I'd slid it on my desk. So, I hot glued some cardboard on (from an old Budweiser box).

Quote:

I actually dig the feet. Noise suppression FTW. Just dont get them wet

Zero vibration and it's raised up enough to eliminate turbulence from the bottom fans.

·
Registered
593 Posts
How did you cut the shapes in the side of the case? Tin snips would deform the metal surface surrounding the cut area. I've use Morse brand holesaws to cut circles for fans in my case, but that is for circles.

·
Man with Fans
7,746 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by K10
View Post

i love stickers.
really show the beast within.

it's a matter of personal preference - like how some would like their evo's to be stealthy - no stickers whatsover.. some love to plaster them with HKS, Greddy stickers, etc.

·
Man with Fans
7,746 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mmparkskier
View Post

I drilled a few 1/4" holes and started cutting with a hand held jigsaw. Afterward I filled the edges down and then sanded them a bit to get them a little more smooth. I did this for all the fan holes too.

Good luck.

hey, i love your work on this casing. keep up the good work

by the way, i'd like to ask, did you do any sanding.priming of the metal panels before spraying with the orange?

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Volvo View Post
hey, i love your work on this casing. keep up the good work

by the way, i'd like to ask, did you do any sanding.priming of the metal panels before spraying with the orange?
Thank you, I will try.

Yes, I sanded the beige down a bit, then used black primer. I did a couple coats of primer before spraying with orange. I wish I would have went with white primer because it took so many coats to cover up the black.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Get yourself a cheap piece of plex for that side panel. You can just cut a rectangle with your jig saw and plex blade. It's another $10, but well worth the quiet.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by jlchavis0844
View Post

Get yourself a cheap piece of plex for that side panel. You can just cut a rectangle with your jig saw and plex blade. It's another $10, but well worth the quiet.

Ah, these are old pictures, thanks for the suggestion though. I have some acrylic placed in the case. I couldn't cut a rectangle because of the outcroppings on the inside of the side panel (the window would run into the drive housing, also, it wouldn't lay flat). So, I cut the panel, and hot glued it in! And, as you said, it's worth the quiet.

·
Premium Member
3,939 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by K10
View Post

Agreed 100%

Looks killer for 12$! But stickers = tacky for me

·
Registered
191 Posts
I used to have a house in Au Train, right out side of Munising. Best place ever. I'll move back there some day.

This case was pretty well done. I would be careful with those fans on the bottom though. May want to put a screen over them though, before the wrong thing gets sucked up in there.

With my luck, I'd spill something, it'd get under the case, and get sucked in!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts