Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i got this here compaq laptop and i need to format the harddrive. What is the best way to to do it? I cannot boot into windows or even safe mode, cant boot to a command prompt either.

Is there any other way to format this puppy? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
^ this.

if you don't have a disk, you can download one from microsoft's site. they will give you a free iso, but you must purchase a key (or just use the one on the bottom of your laptop)

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by thrasherht
View Post

Pop in a windows disk and format from there, you dont' have to install windows to format.

I tried this but it doesnt work either. The win7 disk will load up then once you select repair it sits and does nothing.

·
VROOM VROOM
6,055 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jacksknight
View Post

I tried this but it doesnt work either. The win7 disk will load up then once you select repair it sits and does nothing.

Don't repair, just format using the custom install option.

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alright so i finally got it to start the recovery disk, but now have a new problem...

it goes through formatting, but when it starts copying files over it stops ar 20% everytime and i get a pop that says..

Copy file fails

From D:\\preload\\base.wim
to c:rm\\image\\base15.wim
press ok to retry

When i press OK it just pops the window up again, and it wont go any further..

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jacksknight
View Post

Anyone? Im dying here!!! :)

try downloading a windows 7 iso and burning at the lowest speed possible. this will ensure best file quality.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts