Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I'm looking to build my wife a new system in the not too distant future. I'm running an i7 920 and she wants something that compares to it. I want to go AMD for the simple fact that I haven't built an AMD system in many, many years. Right now she has an old 3.2GHz Pentium D so blowing that out of the water won't be too hard, lol, but she seems to think that she needs a box as fast as mine (NEVAH!!). What would you all recommend? I'm just looking for board, cpu, and RAM advice. I'm can figure the rest out, lol.

Thanks!
Z

·
Premium Member
2,057 Posts
You go get something like a PHII 955 AM3, Gigabyte ma-770xt-ud4p, a just a good o' set of of 2x2gb ddr3 ram.

I personally suggest gigbyte because it overclocks on par with DFI and the like but with a much eaiser bios to use.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts

·
Banned
3,774 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by IronZ View Post
Hi all,
I'm looking to build my wife a new system in the not too distant future. I'm running an i7 920 and she wants something that compares to it. I want to go AMD for the simple fact that I haven't built an AMD system in many, many years. Right now she has an old 3.2GHz Pentium D so blowing that out of the water won't be too hard, lol, but she seems to think that she needs a box as fast as mine (NEVAH!!). What would you all recommend? I'm just looking for board, cpu, and RAM advice. I'm can figure the rest out, lol.

Thanks!
Z

There is nothing that compares to the i7 920. I will stop anyone that differs. ALL REVIEWS GIVE A UNFAIR COMPARISON TO THE PHENOM II 940 AND 955 vs. the i7 920. If you look closely they do 1 of 2 things. Compare i7 920 at 2.66GHz and the Phenom II 955 at 3.2GHz or like Tomshare(Morons) compared the 955 overclocked to 3.74GHz and the i7 920 at 3.44GHz. In the Tomshare(morons) review, the Phenom II beat the i7 920 in only 2 tests by just a little. Core for Core, the i7 920 donimates the Phenom II 955 in every category and will dominate the 965 also. Remember, the i7 920 will oveclock higher than the Phemon II 955. They get 4.2GHz out of the i7.

The i7 920 was on sale at microcenter for $199 earlier this week so the price difference is minimal.

·
Premium Member
3,089 Posts
I think he just wants to build and AMD system for the fun of it, I don't think the performance is what he is looking for. You are right though, AMD has no answer for i7 at this time. The i7 can't really stretch its legs in the gaming tests because the GPUs today (even big SLI setups) can't strain an overclocked i7.

For a comparable AMD setup you are pretty much limited to a Phenom II 965 (or 955).

·
Registered
331 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jimibgood
View Post

There is nothing that compares to the i7 920. I will stop anyone that differs. ALL REVIEWS GIVE A UNFAIR COMPARISON TO THE PHENOM II 940 AND 955 vs. the i7 920. If you look closely they do 1 of 2 things. Compare i7 920 at 2.66GHz and the Phenom II 955 at 3.2GHz or like Tomshare(Morons) compared the 955 overclocked to 3.74GHz and the i7 920 at 3.44GHz. In the Tomshare(morons) review, the Phenom II beat the i7 920 in only 2 tests by just a little. Core for Core, the i7 920 donimates the Phenom II 955 in every category and will dominate the 965 also. Remember, the i7 920 will oveclock higher than the Phemon II 955. They get 4.2GHz out of the i7.

The i7 920 was on sale at microcenter for $199 earlier this week so the price difference is minimal.

I've been an AMD fan for like 10 years but I have to agree with him...
poor AMD but they're still the best bang for the buck.

·
Banned
3,774 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by fear5300
View Post

I've been an AMD fan for like 10 years but I have to agree with him...
poor AMD but they're still the best bang for the buck.

Fear, I love my AMD system and it is more than I need. This is just a hobby for me so DO NOT THINK I AM AN INTEL FANBOI! LOL

it's just AMD's current architecture is not as good as the i7. Hopefully this Phenom craze will help AMD develop better technology than Intel. At least they are on the map!

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
AHHHH! Don't start a flame war! lol. I'm not worried about it being as fast as my system. My box does all of the demanding stuff anyway. Once I finish my WC project it'll be running much faster too. I really want to build an AMD "for the fun of it", it's been a while. I used to keep up with all of the latest and greatest technology but have fallen behind lately, hehe. Now I'm back in school and want to catch up. I've been close to buying one of those $199 i7's but the MB prices usually change my mind. I'm an Asus fan so... yeah.

Thanks for all of the info guys, much appreciated!

Z

1 - 8 of 8 Posts