Banned
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Banned
789 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Veto1024
Ok so i need a cheap but decent computer for my uncle. Im trying to keep it cheap because its his money and he just really wants to use the internet.

http://secure.newegg.com/app/WishLis...IEW&ID=1298737
Theres the newegg wishlist one that i would build

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/prod...=19&l=en&s=dhs
is the dell that is my competition

Which one is worth the cost and if you can, suggest something to help out my newegg creation
Thanks!
I can't view your newegg wishlist however I can tell you right now that a properly pieced together and assembled computer will rock the socks off of a Dell any day...

Build up a nice Sempron system, I built one for my mothers new house for $400 and included a dvd burner and such, she loves it to death and it hasn't failed her once.

·
Premium Member
5,606 Posts
uhh, how is that thing a budget system?!!!!

thats way more then he needs, like ******* said get a sempron...he definatly doesnt need a A64, OR a Lian Li!

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalphreak
I doubt anyone here would condone purchasing a manufactured computer. I certainly would not.
Purchasing a manufactured comp is ok with me as long as you won't ask us how to Oc it....lol

·
Banned
789 Posts
Bah @ cookies and wishlists! lol

This is what I came up with, you could shave nearly another $100 off of this but this gives you a pretty stable platform to do just about anything you would ever need to.

Antec mid-tower w/ 300w psu - $50.00
EPOX "EP-8KRAI-X" Socket A Mobo - $44.50
AMD Sempron 2500+ 1.750GHz (Retail w/ HSF) - $76.00
eVGA nVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 Video Card, 128MB - $44.90
Corsair Value Select Dual Kits 184 Pin 512MB(256MBx2) DDR PC-3200 - $73.50
Floppy Drive - $7.00
WD Caviar Series 40GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive - $58.25
SONY Beige 52x32x52 IDE Internal CD-RW Drive - $23.00

Total: $377.15

·
Banned
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The computers a..

A+GPB/Athena Power Mid ATX Tower Case with 400W Power Suppy and USB 2.0, Model "CA-2008KL"
A64 2800
Gigabyte GA-K8NS motherboard
WD 7200rpm 80gb sata drive
256 corsair value ddr400 ram
floppy
52x cd rom
fx 5200 video card
17" viewsonic CRT

crap, forgot about motherboard and mouse

http://secure.newegg.com/app/WishHis...IEW&ID=1298737

this wishlist should work though... on newegg you can share the wishlists and i enabled it...

·
Registered
930 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Veto1024

The computers a..

A+GPB/Athena Power Mid ATX Tower Case with 400W Power Suppy and USB 2.0, Model "CA-2008KL"
A64 2800
Gigabyte GA-K8NS motherboard
WD 7200rpm 80gb sata drive
256 corsair value ddr400 ram
floppy
52x cd rom
fx 5200 video card
17" viewsonic CRT

crap, forgot about motherboard and mouse

http://secure.newegg.com/app/WishHis...IEW&ID=1298737

this wishlist should work though... on newegg you can share the wishlists and i enabled it...

i think you should get a cheaper video card if no gaming is involved. get a dvd drive instead, get a cheaper motherboard, get more ram, 256 is nothing. and just get a regular ide hard drive.

·
Banned
789 Posts
The big question is... does he really need an A64 for web surfing? He's not going to gain anything from a fancy A64 if the comp is only being used for net and email, might as well save the mula and Sempron it out.

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by RunningRioT

i think you should get a cheaper video card if no gaming is involved. get a dvd drive instead, get a cheaper motherboard, get more ram, 256 is nothing. and just get a regular ide hard drive.

I second that.

·
Premium Member
5,606 Posts
yeah, i see it, but still, thats too much for the computer if he just goes on the web and stuff...he doesnt need one that fast, unless hes really good with computers?

·
Premium Member
5,606 Posts
yeah, that would be the only good thing...

but just get either a sempron or an XP system....like a 2600 or something and 512mb ram, and a gforce4 vidcard, and cheaper case...

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by *******

Rofl, make sure to preload [email protected] before he gets it and set it up to fold for our team

Yes, but we do not want to fold without permission, so tell him that it is a installed as a charge for you making the computer.

·
Banned
789 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lostnhell

Yes, but we do not want to fold without permission, so tell him that it is a installed as a charge for you making the computer.

Why of course, we wouldn't want any illegal activities to take place that could lead back to our little hidey-hole here, that'd be bad! Dunno what I'd do without my new favorite hangout... :shades2:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts