Overclock.net banner
21 - 40 of 407 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
I'm not entirely sure why my results are so much different from yours. I did some more tests this morning and afternoon, mostly in 32p domination but also in 64p CQ. It's a lot of data so I'm going to post a screenshot of it all in excel.
http://gyazo.com/32b254044d584f81205c4c1a933c1792

What you'll see is that my minimum FPS is consistently better with HT off and the average is slightly higher. In-game it feels like the dips with HT on are much more noticeable and frequent than with HT off. In 64p the average FPS with HT on and off were within 1 frame of each other and the minimum was a good amount higher with HT off. These are basically the same trends I saw in BF3.
 

·
TotallydubbedHD on YT
Joined
·
11,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90N1NE View Post

I'm not entirely sure why my results are so much different from yours. I did some more tests this morning and afternoon, mostly in 32p domination but also in 64p CQ. It's a lot of data so I'm going to post a screenshot of it all in excel.
http://gyazo.com/32b254044d584f81205c4c1a933c1792

What you'll see is that my minimum FPS is consistently better with HT off and the average is slightly higher. In-game it feels like the dips with HT on are much more noticeable and frequent than with HT off. In 64p the average FPS with HT on and off were within 1 frame of each other and the minimum was a good amount higher with HT off. These are basically the same trends I saw in BF3.
maybe try increasing the detail?
No idea really lol - first time I've seen a CPU do better with HT off lol.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,327 Posts
He plays on low. Thats why. He doesnt push his system enough
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,768 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarhell View Post

He plays on low. Thats why. He doesnt push his system enough
This. If the CPU isn't being stressed then the values are going to in a percent of error. Need to play on max, but a 670 would become a bottleneck then.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarhell View Post

He plays on low. Thats why. He doesnt push his system enough
CPU utilization is ~75% with HT on and ~95% with HT off. If anything, decreasing the load on my GPU puts more stress on the CPU which should really be showing the difference between HT on and off. My only other guess is that some of the settings can actually make use of hyper-threading such as mesh quality or some of the post processing options.

Edit: I will play a few games on ultra without motion blur / post AA / anything that adds significant input lag.
 

·
TotallydubbedHD on YT
Joined
·
11,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90N1NE View Post

CPU utilization is ~75% with HT on and ~95% with HT off. If anything, decreasing the load on my GPU puts more stress on the CPU which should really be showing the difference between HT on and off. My only other guess is that some of the settings can actually make use of hyper-threading such as mesh quality or some of the post processing options.

Edit: I will play a few games on ultra without motion blur / post AA / anything that adds significant input lag.
Actually why on earth do you play on low anyway!?
 

·
TotallydubbedHD on YT
Joined
·
11,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by preston.murrell View Post

Humm thanks for doing this. Possibly the kick in the pants I need to upgrade my 2500k

Sent from my dlx using Tapatalk now Free
Glad I could help
smile.gif
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,768 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkchopExpress View Post

so my 4670k at 4.7ghz is already outdated?

in the words of randy marsh "well that sucks"
I wouldn't really say "outdated". Future games (and some currents) are going to like cores/threads. Since the next gen consoles have 8 cores the transition is going to be quite fast imo.
 

·
TotallydubbedHD on YT
Joined
·
11,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkchopExpress View Post

so my 4670k at 4.7ghz is already outdated?

in the words of randy marsh "well that sucks"
no not out-dated - but COULD cause bottlenecking.
Some have experienced it - I did when I disabled HT.
And others haven't reported any problems with their i5's.

I would only "worry" in a month time, after the game has been out and EA patch it - cuz we all know there's no "EA GAMES" without a patch lol.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,730 Posts
Well, we need more input. Cause its 2 against 1 right now and I'm not gonna lose $100 and spend $100 unless multiple people with i7 Haswells report major improvements in gameplay when HT is enabled.

AFAIK, Tdubbed, you have not tested HT off in Win 8. You've also got Ivy and a 680, so its not a 1 to 1. Oh and I repped you for HTing off in W7 in the other thread.

Not sure of the OS w/ the other guy that tested his 3770K cause mobile OCN doesn't show rigs.
 

·
Custom User Title
Joined
·
3,652 Posts
I went from 7 to 8 to see if it had a difference on 10/7/13 and it was a lot better & I could finally play competitively.

On 7 I had bad frame drops down to 20fps & shuttering.
On 8 it ran smooth with no random drops or shuttering.
 

·
TotallydubbedHD on YT
Joined
·
11,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodiuh View Post

Well, we need more input. Cause its 2 against 1 right now and I'm not gonna lose $100 and spend $100 unless multiple people with i7 Haswells report major improvements in gameplay when HT is enabled.

AFAIK, Tdubbed, you have not tested HT off in Win 8. You've also got Ivy and a 680, so its not a 1 to 1. Oh and I repped you for HTing off in W7 in the other thread.

Not sure of the OS w/ the other guy that tested his 3770K cause mobile OCN doesn't show rigs.
I'll do tests when Windows 8.1 & BF4 are out, say in around a month from now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post

I went from 7 to 8 to see if it had a difference on 10/7/13 and it was a lot better & I could finally play competitively.

On 7 I had bad frame drops down to 20fps & shuttering.
On 8 it ran smooth with no random drops or shuttering.
and what does win8 drop to?
 

·
TotallydubbedHD on YT
Joined
·
11,564 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,730 Posts
So we can expect your W8 HT off tests w/ BF4 on the 29th @ 12:15AM?
wink.gif


I seriously hope to see HT do nothing in this game. Then we both win. I don't have to upgrade and you get lower temps/clock higher!
 

·
TotallydubbedHD on YT
Joined
·
11,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I actually want bf4 to utilise the threads, as it did in the BETA.
Not to justify my purchase more, as I love my i7 for video rendering. But I don't want the game to bottleneck itself on 4 threads, when I've got 8.
Higher CPU usage on 4 threads vs 8, to me is normal. As for temps, lol. I'm not worried I'm delidded son!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,730 Posts
Alright then pops, answer me this. When you delid, do u leave the ihs off and mount the hs on like an old athlon xp? I would be concerned that the huge air coolers today would crush it.

Also, I had to RMA my CPU (1st one ever) so now Ill prolly never do it.

Also, screw you intel for doing this in the 1st place.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Totally Dubbed View Post

Actually why on earth do you play on low anyway!?
For a stable plus 120 FPS since he's using a 120 Hz monitor.

Also, due to input lag and latency, as he already stated.
 
21 - 40 of 407 Posts
Top